Dopeanddiamonds

Lana Del Rey to be covered in American Horror Story

You guys were right after all :lel: Curious about the chorus now...

"No one's gonna take my soul away, I'm living like -" *random cut to some other place, where people are talking and you can just hear some muffeling of the song in the background* *cut back to Jessica singing* ".. headed towards a fucked up hoooolidaaaay" :creep:

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Y'all gotta chill about the Jim Morrison thing. I bet you she's just gonna sing it normally. They're singing a LDR song in the 1950's, like, why not slip in a Jim Morrison reference?

Jim was only a 9 year old boy in 1953, it would be an anachronism :eek:

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Omg I was right Yassss....

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

Y'all gotta chill about the Jim Morrison thing. I bet you she's just gonna sing it normally. They're singing a LDR song in the 1950's, like, why not slip in a Jim Morrison reference?

Well, it's a difference isn't it? A Lana Del Rey song hasn't got a "MADE BY LANA DEL REY, BORN IN 1985" Label on it when you sing it, but Jim Morrison was a small boy back then, so this doesn't make sense.

Anachronisms can be very significant motifs in film. Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette embodied this brilliantly and utilized the modern music and speech to portray MA as a relatable, everyday girl trapped in an extraordinary environment. AHS is probably attempting to use music in order to represent those outcasted by society and deemed "freaks" for simply being different. Hence David Bowie, Lana Del Rey, Fiona Apple, etc.

Again, Marie-Antoinette had a modern soundtrack but that's what it was, a soundtrack. Meaning the characters weren't listening or singing to it, we as the audience could hear the music but not them, if that makes any sense.

This is different. Jessica's character is going to sing a modern song with a (kind of) modern day reference, which didn't even happen in Moulin Rouge! as some of you mentioned. The songs in MR! were modern but take the 'Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend' cover for instance, they made some lyrical changes to actually fit the period...

And don't tell me to not watch the show if it bothers me pls, that's just childish. :bye:

I guess we'll have to wait and see before judging.

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Again, Marie-Antoinette had a modern soundtrack but that's what it was, a soundtrack. Meaning the characters weren't listening or singing to it, we as the audience could hear the music but not them, if that makes any sense.

This is different. Jessica's character is going to sing a modern song with a (kind of) modern day reference, which didn't even happen in Moulin Rouge! as some of you mentioned. The songs in MR! were modern but take the 'Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend' cover for instance, they made some lyrical changes to actually fit the

I guess we'll have to wait and see before judging.

There's a scene in MA in which the characters dance to Siouxsie and the Banshees. Regardless, it's still an anachronism used for the same purpose. Artistic license and symbolism are important parts of film and television.

a show like american horror story, which always has supernatural elements & is not at all realistic, and you guys are getting worked up over the potential of a tiny anachronism in a song?

:uh:

This is stupid. An anachronism is an anachronism regardless of the supernatural elements and extent of reality the show might have. By the same judgment they could feature a magical floating LCD screen with Lady Gaga singing 'Born This Way', just because the show has had supernatural elements in other seasons...

There's a scene in MA in which the characters dance to Siouxsie and the Banshees. Regardless, it's still an anachronism used for the same purpose. Artistic license and symbolism are important parts of film and television.

Whatever, it's not the same imo

I'm sorry I'm a complete film buff and this really bothers me... I'll wait and see the episode before complaining tho

ZmJh1LG.jpg

This is stupid. By the same judgment they could feature a magical floating LCD screen with Lady Gaga singing 'Born This Way', just because the series has had supernatural elements in other seasons...

Whatever, it's not the same imo

I'm sorry I'm a complete film buff and this really bothers me... I'll wait and see the episode before complaining tho

I grew up with family working in the industry in Hollywood and studied film in college, so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with it either. I remember studying a lot of films that used these kinda of devices to convey a point. Arthouse films often stray from chronistic norms. If anything, I would expect a film buff to relish in that kind of artistic expression.

I grew up with family working in the industry in Hollywood and studied film in college, so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with it either. I remember studying a lot of films that used these kinda of devices to convey a point. Arthouse films often stray from chronistic norms. If anything, I would expect a film buff to relish in that kind of artistic expression.

I'm not against the use of anachronisms to convey something, (since you mentioned MA I'd like to point out one of my favourites, in the 'I Want Candy' scene as they're trying out different kind of shoes you can see a pair of Converse sneakers in the background, to remember us that after all, she's still a teenager) but I just can't see the point in this... As a matter of fact I think they're just using a Lana cover just for the sake of it, and the show is turning into a sort of Glee which I don't really like tbh

ZmJh1LG.jpg

This is stupid. An anachronism is an anachronism regardless of the supernatural elements and extent of reality the show might have. By the same judgment they could feature a magical floating LCD screen with Lady Gaga singing 'Born This Way', just because the show has had supernatural elements in other seasons...

uhhh.. that's exactly my point. the show is not concerned with hyper-realistic portrayals of the times & if you wanted to get into it, there are SO MANY inaccuracies throughout the show's past seasons, so why would a tiny anachronism matter? one hiccup among several. it'd be weird if a show like carnivale, that was a real period show & worked each detail down to the magazines the characters would flip through to represent the dustbowl era correctly had an anachronism. but something fun and surreal like AHS..? i just don't see the dilemma here.

uhhh.. that's exactly my point. the show is not concerned with hyper-realistic portrayals of the times & if you wanted to get into it, there are SO MANY inaccuracies throughout the show's past seasons, so why would a tiny anachronism matter? one hiccup among several. it'd be weird if a show like carnivale, that was a real period show & worked each detail down to the magazines the characters would flip through to represent the dustbowl era correctly had an anachronism. but something fun and surreal like AHS..? i just don't see the dilemma here.

I'm not that familiar with the other seasons, in fact I started watching AHS last week lol

Since the season looks pretty accurate to me I just find these modern covers weird... I mean I enjoyed the Bowie cover and I'm fine with them doing modern songs, but if they keep the JM reference I'm afraid that will take me out of it...

I guess I'll have to wait and see what they do with it, since Life On Mars had a John Lennon reference and they ommited that part for the show. I'll reserve judgement until I then.

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Weeeell I'm on my butt ! I never thought she would sing G&M (to me, it was too cliché, because well they're "freaks" so they're considered monsters ... Oh here's a song with that word in it!) But I was wrong ! ^^  Well, waiting to hear it in full ! (Although I don't think I'll be a fan of it, from what I've see so far ..)

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I think the main problem here is the understanding of "anachronism".

It's not an anachronism if they sing a David Bowie song in 1950. Because it's possible for someone in 1950 to come up with the words for the song aswell. If you then perform the song in the style of the 50s, it's perfectly allright. But if the LYRICS of the song which are actually sung by a character which is supposed to be from the 50s, this is a big anachronism because there is no way that she could already know about Jim Morrisons future fame (ok if the girl who can see the future would have sung it ...).

It's not that I can not bear this but it is indeed strange, since FS hasn't had any signs of toying with anachronisms yet.

still excited on how it will turn out. Could be great but also could easily be a flop because Jess hasn't got the right voice for this peace.