CarcrashBandicoot

Lana to be featured on Maxim's December 2014 issue

I'm disappointed by the article, if anything, they insulted her...

I really don't think it's that negative of an article. (Though there is perhaps a subtle undercurrent in asides like this one.)

Kind of shitty and insulting article. I thought the part where she says she lives in east los angeles and speaks spanish in all her songs, and the interviewer has an aside where he says neither of those are true -- was actually very indicative of the dynamic between LDR and the media. It seems she says things that are kind of hyperbolic not meaning them to be taken literally (she lives in koreatown, she speaks spanish in some of her songs) but then the media nitpicks what she says and accuses her of lying. I don't think lying is really what she is doing but I also don't think she cares much about telling the truth. Anyways I just thought that part was weird/kind of interesting.

I feel really bad for her, actually. She's tricked into thinking that she's in a safe place with a journalist and then they go and write a passive-aggressive article with the same kind of vitriol that she's been a victim of since her first taste of fame. That slander she constantly faces is also something that they took the time to point out in the article before contradicting themselves and producing their own version.

Again, I think this interview was quite tame (boring even). But what exactly do you think the role of a journalist should be? A stenographer? If she expects a softball interview, she should go on Oprah.

:oprah: :oprah2:

I honestly starting to wonder if Lana actually says things like “I live in East L.A., and I speak Spanish,” she says. “The girls who work in the club in the video are my friends, people I knew before I became a little more well known. Like, I’ve always spoken Spanish in all my songs the past few years. So for me, personally, it’s not a far-out-there reference.” in an actual context or if she's miss quoted in almost every single interview.

Anyway my doubt remains: is she a compulsive liar or eternally miss quoted? WTF is wrong LOL?

Occam's razor

Also, this interview and everyone's reaction to it, including mine and my reaction to everyone's reactions, can be summed up in one gif:

:groundhog:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I think the context matters. Maxim is literally using her body to sell magazines. It's not Charlie Rose. It seems really wrong that  publication that peddles female bodies would turn around and make sniping remarks about the person inside the body. In any case she's literally at her home with the interviewer when she says she lives in east l.a. He thinks she's trying to put one over on him? 

Also, this interview and everyone's reaction to it, including mine and my reaction to everyone's reactions, can be summed up in one gif:

:groundhog:

Remember how frustrated and bemused you used to be when every article about her got her date of birth wrong? That's the same feeling a lot of us have when article after article, year after year, presents her career as this 90 degree sharp turn from airheaded blonde pop starlet Lizzy Grant to dark enchanting creation of back room managers Lana Del Rey, without even bothering to look at what she was doing when she had a different hair colour. It's not even like they need to go out and buy a record - they just have to sit at home and spend a bit of time on Youtube. 

Just because decent journalism is rare doesn't mean we should give terrible writing a pass.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Maxim is literally using her body to sell magazines... It seems really wrong that a publication that peddles female bodies would turn around and make sniping remarks about the person inside the body. 

i think that's precisely where the sniping remarks come from. maxim doesn't care about what's inside. their angle is always sex; not brains / creativity / style (or music, even). all the other publications that interview her typically come from other angles. but the fact that lana has so much external beauty (the main focus of maxim) in addition to a massively complex internal world; well that will always be off putting to some people (particularly someone at maxim, i'd imagine)

this might make me sound like some feminazi dyke with a bra and a bic (or whatever politically warped cliche i'm about to perpetuate), but i think many men are terrified of beautiful women. now give said woman a brain and most would probably consider her to be a legitimate threat and/or danger to their well being (or ego, lord forbid) 

5C87o3X.png

its not just women that 'hate' other women. men can be just as cruel, but for different reasons 

ZRBNill.jpg

I think the media has always had strange ways of handling alternative female artists. It seems publications are quick to try to tear her down, even when she's their featured cover. It's a really strange situation in general, especially after her recent interviews.

I think the media has always had strange ways of handling alternative female artists. It seems publications are quick to try to tear her down, even when she's their featured cover. It's a really strange situation in general, especially after her recent interviews.

I agree and I have no idea why she even agreed to pose for this magazine when in general she has resisted being objectified like a piece of meat. I'm similarly baffled by the gq cover but at least the interview actually revealed things about her. Maybe because she got to be photographed by Neil Krug.

I'm disappointed by the article, if anything, they insulted her...

And i felt the exact same way after reading it. No wonder why she deleted the picture from the Maxim shoot off her twitter page.

Why did she delete the insta pic of maxim cover?

I believe because of how the article was written about her. Especially towards the end. There was definitely a feel of sharp sarcasm.

Oprah's over ee, did u miss the memo :(

She got her OWN network.

Remember how frustrated and bemused you used to be when every article about her got her date of birth wrong? That's the same feeling a lot of us have when article after article, year after year, presents her career as this 90 degree sharp turn from airheaded blonde pop starlet Lizzy Grant to dark enchanting creation of back room managers Lana Del Rey, without even bothering to look at what she was doing when she had a different hair colour. It's not even like they need to go out and buy a record - they just have to sit at home and spend a bit of time on Youtube. 

Just because decent journalism is rare doesn't mean we should give terrible writing a pass.

Oh, I never said this article was good or even close to accurate. I completely agree with you that it's shoddy and they get her wrong. I just don't think it's all that negative.

Why did she delete the insta pic of maxim cover?

I believe because of how the article was written about her. Especially towards the end. There was definitely a feel of sharp sarcasm.

I think this is jumping to conclusions. Maybe this is why, maybe not. But if we're going to read that much into tweets, then Daddy Grant apparently didn't have a problem with it. The Robster tweeted a link to it and hasn't deleted it.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Always the same shit... Lana should ignore those fuckers.

Lana making up stories about her life and a journalist who's prejudiced.. totally unexpected

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

On the one hand it's super annoying that most journalists are just after writing bad articles about her. Of course journalism is supposed to be critic ... but lately it has reached a pathetic level. Either way they just re-brabble the usual praising stuff and the same already-known anecdotes or they do anything to portray her as a person, which is not supposed to be taken serious.

But on the other hand, Lana annoys the shit out of me, with her "making things up", saying plainly stupif stuff and only making wolly statements.

The photoshoot is quite boring and some of the pics are unflattering. No interesting poses, lights or makeup.

but funny how everyone bitches about the cover, but noone says something about this pic, which is definitly worse in my opinion. Her facial expression, the camera angle and the light on her skin is so .. meeeeeh.

jYWiL-p9Cp4.jpg

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

On the one hand it's super annoying that most journalists are just after writing bad articles about her. Of course journalism is supposed to be critic ... but lately it has reached a pathetic level. Either way they just re-brabble the usual praising stuff and the same already-known anecdotes or they do anything to portray her as a person, which is not supposed to be taken serious.

But on the other hand, Lana annoys the shit out of me, with her "making things up", saying plainly stupif stuff and only making wolly statements.

The photoshoot is quite boring and some of the pics are unflattering. No interesting poses, lights or makeup.

but funny how everyone bitches about the cover, but noone says something about this pic, which is definitly worse in my opinion. Her facial expression, the camera angle and the light on her skin is so .. meeeeeh.

jYWiL-p9Cp4.jpg

This is my favorite picture of all of them  :bye3: