ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

Can we make a thread somewhere and have a place where each week's HM Hotline is recorded and we have it all stored so we never lose it. Idk if she'll have "Press 9 for page 2 of options" and everything will still be how it is now just added stuff or what

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto5_500.jpg

I enjoy all of her albums for different reasons, depending on the mood or even the season sometimes. But there's always a Lana song for wherever I am in life. Anyway, I'm completely sold on what she's delivering with Honeymoon so far. I love the slow songs and I love how HBTB allllmost evokes West Coast feels with its sorta slow/fast pop song vibe. TLY is my favorite from the record so far, tho. Probably because the opening harks back to that Ultraviolence feel that I love so much.

If I had to pick, I'd rank her released albums in this order:

1- Ultraviolence 

2- AKA

3- Paradise

4- Born to Die

But in saying that, it's not like I dislike BTD just because I'm ranking it last. I love it, but I've played it so often in the past years that it's almost like watching a rerun of your favorite television show or movie that you've seen so many times that it doesn't really evoke much feeling in you unless you give it a rest and then come back to it later for nostalgia reasons. Paradise is sorta the same for me. I got into AKA after BTD and Paradise, so it's fresher to me and really reminds me of many of her unreleased stuff that I adore.

Everyone has different tastes in the end, and to be perfectly honest, there's almost NOTHING that she's done musically that I haven't enjoyed on some level. I appreciate that from her. Can't wait to see how Honeymoon fits into the rest of her discography. 

I was unaware that people even felt that way about BTD. I still consider it her most iconic album yet.

For me its one of my favourite albums of all time and ICONIC!

qsVmBMd.png

I don't like the line in TLY when she says "You are what you are", "You are who you are", etc. Even though I absolutely adore this song, I just think those lines are cheesy.  :icant:

tumblr_o1safdMl1g1uc67yuo1_540.jpg

There's already countless meltdowns on Twitter and tumblr over the Swan Song lyrics about never singing again... Something like this happens every era... -.-

Also, love the reference to pink flamingoes in the other lyric sample! Wonder how many throw backs to unreleased songs we'll get in this album? I mean we have the 'lights, camera, action' in HBTB, 'pink flamingoes' in one song, and a song called Salvatore!

I'm not crazy about unreleased throwbacks?? Yay!

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

This album is so incredible thus far. A mixture of jazzy, baroque songs and gritty trap-influenced ones. Themes of celebrity, male gaze, self-realization, lost love. Plus throwbacks to her unreleased songs. I also love the visual idea of a map to the stars that lets us into Lana's life. The cover feels much more appropriate when you consider the rest of the images and these themes. It actually looks pretty good in the UO crop they put up on IG:

https://instagram.com/p/6qQCoqMdBL/

I still love Ultraviolence the best and if she were to revisit a concept or musical style, I would rather it be the live-sounding psychedelic rock Auerbach production.

I feel the production on Honeymoon so far is really weak. On HM, there isn't enough percussion and you can't really stay alert through 6 minutes of mostly strings and piano and the verses are far too monotonous. On HBTB, I love the trap influenced beat but think it could be more prominent. I think the production for the bridge of TLY is pretty much perfect but is somewhat generic for the rest of the song. I also dislike the jarring layering of her voice at the part where she sings "And I still get trashed..." (also dark blue dark blue). Overall, of the songs so far, the melodies are ok(HM verses/HBTB chorus) to good (HM chorus/HBTB verses) to brilliant (HM bridge/TLY bridge) but the production is uninspired. I had heard great things about Rick Nowels.

Though Emiles production is divisive, Born To Die wouldn't be the record it is without it. The samples and hip hop elements juxtaposed with the orchestral elements really made the songs unique and amazing. Ultraviolence production was a symphony of layered rock sounds with guitars and heavy drums (while being varied, eg Old Money, FMWUTTT) and it was one of the areas where critics applauded. However, production for this album is worrying. Although Lanas voice is powerfully beautiful, the songs released so far suffer from there not being great instrumentation to complement it. Sometimes I like to listen to the instrumentals of songs from BTD/UV. I don't see myself particularly wanting to listen to the instrumentals of the songs released so far.

There's not a single lie in this post. I wish she would do more of that live-sounding psychedelic rock Auerbach produced songs.

This album is so incredible thus far. A mixture of jazzy, baroque songs and gritty trap-influenced ones. Themes of celebrity, male gaze, self-realization, lost love. Plus throwbacks to her unreleased songs. I also love the visual idea of a map to the stars that lets us into Lana's life. The cover feels much more appropriate when you consider the rest of the images and these themes. It actually looks pretty good in the UO crop they put up on IG.

preach it

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

BTD was her best record. According to everything, from sound to charts, to sales.

Goodness gracious, always these BTD this BTD that type of posts from you.

Reality check for you: Lana won't ever release an album that is as pop as BTD. If you struggle with her new directions she is taking, it's time to check out, since these are the artistic choices she makes, not by accident or that she doesn't know any better, but on purpose

Also, sales and charts alone don't define a great record, what a dumb post. I love BTD as the pop album that it is, but for me personally I find her recent material since UV way more interesting to follow. You disagree? Fine, I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the stupidy of trying to make an effort to put your opinion above others.

Lana has moved on since BTD and former fans have moved on, too. Just look ar all the people from the past who ain't posting anymore. Others have joined. That's life and that's music business.

Guys, don't mistake people saying BTD is their least favorite as saying its bad or they hate it. I still love the singles and like I said in my other post I occasionally listen to and am brought back lots of memories from the rest. I still consider it one of my favorite albums and really the one that started my passion and love for music. I just don't get that excited to hear it which is not really unusual for an album I've been listening to for 3 years straight, and even then I still go through phases every now and then where I'll like hearing it. Its stuck with me much, much longer than any other entire album ever has and probably ever will. I can't speak for everyone but I think people here posting that its their least favorite probably feel the same way. Its not bad, its just we decided we liked the others more.

I just preordered the box set, vinyl, and UO vinyl  :party:

I'm curious to know if anything unreleased is going to be on there. I know none of the titles immediately jump out at us, but no one would have suspected Old Money to me a reworked Methampheatimes. Which reminds me, why are people thinking Salvatore is related to Backfire? Never mind I just realized that's the first word of the song :toofunny: Not one I listen to often. I still don't think its related.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

I was unaware that people even felt that way about BTD. I still consider it her most iconic album yet.

It's obviosuly iconic and it'll always be her most successful and known album ever (I hope she's able to top it commercially someday, idk) but that doesn't mean we all love it.

EDIT: Take "love" as a really big word. I obviously really like Born to Die and I recommend it to non-Lana fans, but I don't LOVE it as an album really. I fucking loved the era, the videos, the low budget tour, the performances and Lana's passion... and of course it brings me so many great memories, but if we forget about all that stuff for a second and focus on BTD as just an album, yeah I don't love it.