ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

About the repetitive choruses. I don't get the hate for it. I see some people who criticized Lana for repetitive choruses but praised 1989 and Carly's new album.

So I decided to listen to 1989 (couple weeks ago) worst decision OF MY LIFE. The first song alone "Welcome To New York" makes me want to pour acid in my throat. It's literally that line repeated OVER OVER OVER AGAIN.

"Welcome to New York

It's been waiting for you

Welcome to New York

Welcome to New York

Welcome to New York

It's been waiting for you

Welcome to New York

Welcome to New York"

"'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play

And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate

Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake

I shake it off, I shake it off

Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break"

"Are we out of the woods yet?

Are we out of the woods yet?

Are we out of the woods yet?

Are we out of the woods?

Are we in the clear yet?

Are we in the clear yet?

Are we in the clear yet?

In the clear yet?"

"All you had to do was stay

All you had to do was stay

All you had to do was stay

All you had to do was stay"

I'm lost for words. That some (not specifically saying here) praised THIS GARBAGE and came for Lana "repetitive" lyrics.

About the repetitive choruses. I don't get the hate for it. I see some people who criticized Lana for repetitive choruses but praised 1989 and Carly's new album.

So I decided to listen to 1989 (couple weeks ago) worst decision OF MY LIFE. The first song alone "Welcome To New York" makes me want to pour acid in my throat. It's literally that line repeated OVER OVER OVER AGAIN.

I'm lost for words. That some (not specifically saying here) praised THIS GARBAGE and came for Lana "repetitive" lyrics.

No one is saying 1989 is better than Honeymoon, nor are people saying Taylor's repetitive lyrics are better than Lana's. The fact of the matter is, Lana still has a lot of repetitive choruses where she literally repeats the same line over and over. Yes, these repetitive choruses may be better than Taylor's, but they're still repetitive and indicate lazy songwriting nevertheless. Sometimes I can make exceptions to repetitive lyrics, if the lyric is really creative and needs to be emphasised to make sense within the context of the song, but sometimes it's just lazy songwriting. I don't mean to be that person who brings up Sad Girl's chorus, but that's really just lazy songwriting from my point of view. Doesn't mean the song is bad, it just means the chorus drags on a bit. I really don't see why you attack every user that makes the slightest negative comment about Lana. She may be an amazing singer/songwriter, but you seem to forget that she is still prone to flaws like the rest of us, and this sometimes shows through in her songwriting. I'd take Lana's music over trash like 1989 any day, but I still would have to admit that Lana isn't perfect when it comes to being a lyricist.

1. Honeymoon - Boring. I personally just didnt connect with it. Maybe if the ochestra was stronger I would feel more about it. The bridge was an absolute beauty though. It was so fuckin magical.
  2. Music to Watch Boys to - I personally love it. I dont know why people say the chorus doesn't match. I think it's the best part of the song.
  3. Terrence Loves You - I do not like this song. But Lana has a way with bridges/breakdowns. Its sooo great.
  4. God Knows I Tried - Not a fav but I still like it. Sounds like a Western (not country sounding) but like a literally western movie/romance book. Like a standoff or when the outlaw thinks back on his life. (maybe I read too many Historical Fiction Romance novels.)
  5. High By The Beach - The beat was basic, but I loved the song. It was made for the radio and dancing.
  6. Freak - I overplayed the snippet lol. It's an real excellent song. Makes you want to sexy dance to it. 
  7. Art Deco - This is definitely about Azealia Banks now that someone mentioned it. It reminds me of Carmen in the sense of the storyline.
  8. Burnt Norton - Nice poem or whatever it is. I always skip interludes that arent singing.
  9. Religion - I really enjoy this song, idk what it is with songs that compare religion to love. (I'm a christian but still, guilty pleasure we'll call it)
  10. Salvatore - MY FAV. ITS SOO CUTE AND ROMANTIC AND LOVEY DOVEY AND I JUST WANT TO EAT PASTA WHILE SITTING ON A HOT GUYS LAP DRIVING DOWN THE STREETS OF NEW YORK IN A FAST ASS CAR UNDER A BLUE SKY WITH WHITE FLUFFY CLOUDS! (Idk why but some parts seem like she's talking about Fran and then some times it seems like she's talking about a black rapper. Kinda like a its Asap rocky or whoever she was talking bout with golden grills. Cus the rappin and beatboxin line. That's just me.
  11. The Blackest Day - I really like this song. Specially the chorus. She listening to that Billie Holiday.
  12. 24 - Its very slow. Sounds kinda westerney too.
  13. Swan Song - I love it. I love her idea of her and her lover just doing what makes them happy. To leave life. She'll support him.
  14. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood- This song should have never been done in my opinion. I felt like Lana didnt try hard enough when she was covering it. It's a hard song to live up to I know, but she didnt have any vocal range. (I know this has been Lana since UV, but she still should have had a variation.)

I'll do another review once I have a high quality like cd rip quality music.