annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Sadness, depression is a main theme in Lana's work and it's a serious issue. I think that besides some strange behavior she has a genuinely sad personality. I think that she will continue her trend of alternative/sadcore music and it would be a great opportunity for her to open up about her sadness, to give a more profound take on the issue than the overused sad girl trope in her work

Couldn't agree more. Judging from her interviews, she's capable of articulating her feelings and thoughts very well, I don't know why she doesn't apply it to her lyrics. If she only wanted to, she could write very good introspective lyrics. I hope we never get something like 'Freak' ever again

Couldn't agree more. Judging from her interviews, she's capable of articulating her feelings and thoughts very well, I don't know why she doesn't apply it to her lyrics. If she only wanted to, she could write very good introspective lyrics. I hope we never get something like 'Freak' ever again

Woah. Why not have anymore songs like Freak? I understand the whole "stranger than a stranger" thing lyrically. But imo the first verse was very good (even with the blue mumbling). After that = FLOP

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

Woah. Why not have anymore songs like Freak? I understand the whole "stranger than a stranger" thing lyrically. But imo the first verse was very good (even with the blue mumbling). After that = FLOP

The lyrics are boring. She's capable of doing better

Not sure exactly where to post this, but I'll do it here since this seems to be the random discussion thread.

So I am super interested in Psychology, particularly personality psychology, and it all just hit me how Lana has been acting since BTD and as of late and how it relates to psychology. I feel like Lana has been suffering from the Freudian defence mechanism of the ego known as regression, which is basically when a person returns to an earlier level of development or to a less demanding habit or situation, particularly when faced with difficulties. Well, I feel like this difficulty was the criticism and the harsh responses she got during the BTD era, with screams of inauthenticity and fakeness. Lana didn't like the way people reacted and so she has been regressing back to her old ways, back when she was just Lizzy Grant, and she could make music peacefully in her bedroom without having to worry about what the world thought of it and thought of her. I feel like her lack of promotion and willingness to be in the public eye at all relates to her bad experiences during the BTD era, and now she's been regressing to her old ways by just making the music for herself again and not trying to please the public like she clearly was with BTD by using heavy hip-hop beats and fast-tempo songs, which we've seen, really isn't Lana's usual style. 

One thing to note that the psychologist Sigmund Freud stated is that once people become aware of the existence of their defence mechanism (in this case regression), it often ceases to exist. I feel as if Lana has finally come to a realisation that she's been hiding away as of late. I can't make a judgment in terms of her music and whether or not she'll go back to her more adventurous stuff, but the way she's changed quite recently is certainly interesting. It's almost like a double regression, she noticed she'd been regressing to a state of hiding like her Lizzy days, so now she's regressing back to her BTD self, hanging out with Emile Haynie, posting more on social media, making so many more appearances lately, being back in the public eye, and even changing her entire look again to be reminiscent of BTD. I'm not saying she'll go back to her entire BTD sound/persona, in fact, I really doubt she'd do that, but maybe she's at a stage where she's more open to doing something a bit more adventurous and fresh and new, like she used to. Honeymoon was a fantastic record in its own right, and I love it because it feels like such a Lana record, but I think she's ready to try something new again, ready to move on from this short phase of covert hiding and simple music that takes no risks and will be perceived well because it's safe.

Anyway, not sure if this made much sense, but I thought I'd post my ramblings regardless.

i hope lana makes an album that is a mix between BTD and UV. fast paced, beautiful, psychedelic, yet sad. i want her to dig into 70s disco but with a dark twist

I'd also love a mix of UV and BTD, leaning more towards the production of UV. What made UV was a pretty raw production and it sucks that she and Dan will probably never work again.

I'd love to see him back with some energetic songs like West Coast. What killed Hm for me was the vocal delivery (ok, she has gotten better at singing) but it is quite monotone and what was also quite boring was the production.

Rick Nowels is simply not a producer that adds some needed edge.

Basicaly, serve us more White Stripes and The Black Keys instead of Dido, dear Lana.

I posted it before, but when you listen to an album like Lemonade, you can hear all these different influences and styles and you hear how well balanced that album is sonically. And when the lyrics sometimes suck, Bey totally delivers great emotion is her vocal performance.

Saying this just on a random note since we had this one not-so-serious thread about Bey being inspired by Lana for Selftitled.

I'd also love a mix of UV and BTD, leaning more towards the production of UV. What made UV was a pretty raw production and it sucks that she and Dan will probably never work again.

I'd love to see him back with some energetic songs like West Coast. What killed Hm for me was the vocal delivery (ok, she has gotten better at singing) but it is quite monotone and what was also quite boring was the production.

Rick Nowels is simply not a producer that adds some needed edge.

Basicaly, serve us more White Stripes and The Black Keys instead of Dido, dear Lana.

I posted it before, but when you listen to an album like Lemonade, you can hear all these different influences and styles and you hear how well balanced that album is sonically. And when the lyrics sometimes suck, Bey totally delivers great emotion is her vocal performance.

Saying this just on a random note since we had this one not-so-serious thread about Bey being inspired by Lana for Selftitled.

i completely agree, when i heard HBTB for the first time i couldnt believe my ears it sounded like she didnt care and sent a half-assed song to us. instead of sounding serene and heavenly in many HM she just sounds bored out of her mind

HBTB has a lot of interesting musical parts too, despite it's stripped production. I like it better than DMD, but not as much as WC, but what I like most about it is it's different from most of her released work, and my what a shocker it was right after the HM song release. Playground would have been a good B-side for the HBTB single, but of course, they don't do B-side shit anymore. Woe to us.

Not sure exactly where to post this, but I'll do it here since this seems to be the random discussion thread.

So I am super interested in Psychology, particularly personality psychology, and it all just hit me how Lana has been acting since BTD and as of late and how it relates to psychology. I feel like Lana has been suffering from the Freudian defence mechanism of the ego known as regression, which is basically when a person returns to an earlier level of development or to a less demanding habit or situation, particularly when faced with difficulties. Well, I feel like this difficulty was the criticism and the harsh responses she got during the BTD era, with screams of inauthenticity and fakeness. Lana didn't like the way people reacted and so she has been regressing back to her old ways, back when she was just Lizzy Grant, and she could make music peacefully in her bedroom without having to worry about what the world thought of it and thought of her. I feel like her lack of promotion and willingness to be in the public eye at all relates to her bad experiences during the BTD era, and now she's been regressing to her old ways by just making the music for herself again and not trying to please the public like she clearly was with BTD by using heavy hip-hop beats and fast-tempo songs, which we've seen, really isn't Lana's usual style. 

One thing to note that the psychologist Sigmund Freud stated is that once people become aware of the existence of their defence mechanism (in this case regression), it often ceases to exist. I feel as if Lana has finally come to a realisation that she's been hiding away as of late. I can't make a judgment in terms of her music and whether or not she'll go back to her more adventurous stuff, but the way she's changed quite recently is certainly interesting. It's almost like a double regression, she noticed she'd been regressing to a state of hiding like her Lizzy days, so now she's regressing back to her BTD self, hanging out with Emile Haynie, posting more on social media, making so many more appearances lately, being back in the public eye, and even changing her entire look again to be reminiscent of BTD. I'm not saying she'll go back to her entire BTD sound/persona, in fact, I really doubt she'd do that, but maybe she's at a stage where she's more open to doing something a bit more adventurous and fresh and new, like she used to. Honeymoon was a fantastic record in its own right, and I love it because it feels like such a Lana record, but I think she's ready to try something new again, ready to move on from this short phase of covert hiding and simple music that takes no risks and will be perceived well because it's safe.

Anyway, not sure if this made much sense, but I thought I'd post my ramblings regardless.

Whether she still feels a BTD backlash is possible; however, she won that war (on BTD specifically) so definitively. All the critics ended up doing was proving that they couldn't (even vaguely) forsee that the GP would be interested in her, so who looks worse now? Also the Paradise era is one of her most uninhibited periods (Cola, GQ shoot, Ride Video, and Tropico). It could be said that she didn't worry much about what people thought of her, so why would she feel a BTD backlash right now? Maybe a backlash to "I wish I were dead already" and "feminism is boring", perhaps, at least in the sense of being more careful at interviews.

Her psychology is definitely interesting. Her main instagram still labels herself "Subversive", but what does that mean really? Maybe it relates to her attitude toward promo or maybe it doesn't, although I think if she did sell well, without the promo, that would be pretty subversive, imo. If she fails, which only means Interscope dumps her, she could still find a minor label and produce significant work. Or "subversive" might just mean she doesn't care what people think, but that she'll do it her way. In the case of HM she might have meant a modernized version of Frank Sinatra's "No One Cares" album. However, I'm still hoping, with everybody else, that she'll be the artist that can't stand still and keep surprising us stylistically, although she's got to do ultimately what she is comfortable doing too. 

I think the discussion about her psyche is so interisting, but it's like when you google your symtomps you always end up having cancer or something.... 

I think it's only natural that she would get defensive as it´s her art and personal to her so when people hate on it it ovsl. hurts. It's also easy to say she shouldn't care when one sits behind a computer, but when you actually are the person that gets criticized and are in the publiuc eye etc it must feel so much more intense.

Saturday Night Live is a great example

There was NOTHING wrong with her performance of Video Games,

It was all put in focus when Lana Imitator Sam Smith appeared on the show

He did exactly what Lana did, with no difference (except Lana' s song was better). He stood still at the micropone by the piano and did't move

the song he sang was a lot of weeks already on the charts and people knew it better

Plus, he was a guy (who made his first noise keeping name dropping Lana

the lunacy of NBC's Brian Williams (lying Brian as he was fired shorty thereafter) tweeting the horrible thing he did (and his daughter is Alison Williams of Girls, and who stunk up the joint

as Peter Pan )

Lana don't need NBC or any media. They should go fuck themselves.

and most people saw it for what it was. Sheer abuse and anti-women. From NBC (the network that had for decades woman hater Donald Trump on their payroll and made him millions,

and he made them billions). .

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Saturday Night Live is a great example

There was NOTHING wrong with her performance of Video Games,

Lana don't need NBC or any media. They should go fuck themselves.

and most people saw it for what it was. Sheer abuse and anti-women. From NBC (the network that had for decades woman hater Donald Trump on their payroll and made him millions,

and he made them billions). .

You're passionate about Lana and I get that being there myself.

A lot of the criticism thrown at Lana was abject misogyny but SNL wasn't that. It was a collective blunder fueled by greed for money and quick fame: Interscope wanted to cash in big and quickly, Lana's mangers, who btw did a miracle by putting her on the map with one good song but who were inexperienced at this level and wanted themselves to cash in quickly, and Lana who just wasn't realistic about her strengths and I think that she fantasized at that point about being a popstar. Every show prior to SNL hinted to anyone with ears and eyes that she is struggling on stage. She was stiff, her movements were awkward and her voice was wavering many times. It was obvious that she is not a natural performer and she needs extensive coaching ranging from live singing to stage movement. She has this pathological stage fright which makes her ridiculously self-conscious on stage which makes her losing her focus affecting her singing. It was a huge gamble and they lost. Her music was slow, kind of awkward, her voice is so distinctive and because of these issues they would have had to rehearse her presentation in the smallest detail even regarding her hand movements (which were btw ridiculous). The turning Lana meme was inevitable and was a cynical criticism of how unprofessional was the whole preparation for that HUGE opportunity. That was the other factor of the backlash: she was a noname singer starting her career practically on SNL for that her presentation had to be near perfect to be accepted by the critics and the media because anyone knew how big a SNL slot is.

The mainstream media destroyed her and frankly the perfect storm was in the making because the indie press turned slowly against her before SNL questioning her authenticity and talent. It was just a huge PR blunder the whole late 2011 and early 2012 and all the parties above mentioned have their fault in it. They say that there is no bad publicity but we can see now how deeply she was affected by the backlash. I think that her sadness is mainly a result of those events and sometimes I have the feeling that they killed the joy of being an artist in her heart. She's plodding along in her career but she's clearly half the artist she could be.   

My only beef against Lana is that she didn't ambition herself after that moment doing everything possible to improve dramatically her live singing and presentation. She had many concerts since then and she sung fine in some of them but let's face it she still has huge problems when performing live and her career is in downward spiral mostly because of it.

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

Nearly shat myself when I saw this advertisement pop up on a random blog post 

JvEyyyC.png

Just when I thought I'd seen the end of those annoying Christina Lucci gifs on every Lana Boards post  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:

I'm telling you, this girl is going to follow me for the rest of my life and there's nothing I can do about it :deadbanana:  

@@Flipflopfan  I disagree.

the point about Sam Smith is, he did EXACTLY THE SAME THING as Lana, just a few weeks later the point of his career), and critics raved. He being a he of course (and he had many of the critics on his side by his stunt of "coming out" just

at that moment in an obvious gambit to win hearts but more so, to make it impossible for someone to put him down, who he would then call a homophobe. (BTW, when was the last time he mentioned Lana?

Is he still a fan???)

as for stage fright- Carly Simon and John Lennon notorious for being scared to perform. Lennon would throw up before every concert or appearance.

and as for hands- ask Art Garfunkel of Simon & Garfunkel, who in 60 years, still has no idea what to do with his hands. Look at any video of the two of them singing, including the reunion concert in Central Park, and he has no idea what to do with his hands (pocket of his pants, bottom microphone, top microphone, flailing etc. Awkward as a teenager and he is in his 70s now. Very gawky.

Yet no one ever mentioned his hands in a critique.

(and the uniqueness of Simon/Garfunkel was that producer Roy Hallee famously actually had them sing all the vocals using the same microphone, something no duo ever did like that

(where they would have separate ones) and the harmonies were from that.

The other thing about SNL was, she was LIVE and SNL also is known for lousy sound (only the superbowl has worse sound.)

Live performances, I have seen her now, what 12 times? 13 times? (I am losing count). Her live performances are getting better and better.

Perhaps Video Games was not the perfect choice for first song, being that, well, it is notoriously SLOW.

Imagine if she had (but would have had no reason to do such- but if she sang Serial Killer first. Then did Video Games.

I think the critics/press were in for the kill PRIOR to her appearance and nothing she did would have gained their love (as proven by later remarks, which showed the sheer genius in going

with Dan Auerbach to produce Ultraviolence because that was one of the most genius moves in recording history- critics loved him, he himself bashed her, and it won her many points

(besides a great sounding album).

I disagree with you on her career.

She is now at a place unique

and it was the Billboard Trailblazer award which brought her out of her depression, IMHO, and made her see she had a purpose and focus and that the way she was doing it,

was a unique and novel way of doing things (Like Adele said about how she wished she could drop an album, do some concerts then just nothing at all instead of all the bullshit

an artist is made to do.

I would rather be Lana than Adele. Perhaps in 2020 Adele will release a new record. By then, we will have 5 more Lana records (figure about 75 new songs all of them great/greater/greatest)

She is doing things the biggest male superstars only have done before her, and of course, the powers that be, and the press don't like when a girl does that. They are suppose to

listen and do things they are told.

Lana is telling them in no uncertain terms- it is her way

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

This forum is such a weird place tbh. People are either praising her to high heavens, saying she's the best singer ever and can do no wrong, or people are bashing her, saying she can't sing/write/perform/whatever

It's been 4 years since SNL, who really gives a flying fig any more. I just wish Lana would be more active with her career. Like do anything Lana pls. She hasn't done anything in 3 months :pft: