annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I think that's a really honest lyric from her. And she hasn't hidden it in her interviews. It might do her some good to get out of LA and have different experiences. I mean, if chilling in Italy gives us Salvatore, I'm alright with that.  :hooker:

I disagree that this is a "Paradise," if only because I skip half of that record the rare time I listen to it. I think Cola and American are the only songs from there I still listen to. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what the artistic development is on UV, which everyone hails as a stepping stone in her career. Is it the rock sound? Her lyrics didn't seem to change much. Her vocals improved. Her music didn't seem to become more complex or really change much. I'd really like a fan of UV to explain what makes it a more mature record than Born to Die, or Paradise, or AKA. I don't think it's bad, at all, but I just don't understand the hype around it.  :judgingu3:

What I really like about UV is how she took every single of the criticism she received and instead of denying them she incorporated in her music. People complained about anti-feminist lyrics? She wrote a song with the line "you hit it me and it felt like a kiss"; there were rumors about fucking her way up to the top? She wrote a song Fucked My Way Up to the top; some fail blogger wrote she changed just to be famous and get money? She did Money Power Glory. This album is full of irony and anger. When it comes to her lyrics I think it's pretty clear that she abandoned the unrealistic romantic persona of the "lucky one" to be "the other woman". A lot of her lyrics play into the idea of her being the mistress on this guy life and it's a more realistic take on romance and love than anything on BTD. As a whole I can see more ambition on UV than anything on HM.

Give a year from now. A lot of people thought Paradise was better than BTD when it came out but now it's a common sense it's not that good. The same thing is happening with UV x HM

The majority actually think UV is better than HM, so your correlation is invalid :) 

The majority actually think UV is better than HM, so your correlation is invalid :)

well,  can I admit that maaaybe I was not really considering the majority of opinion but really just mine? :hooker:  I was struggling to get my final opinion whether this album is better or not than what she released so far  :toofunny:

well,  can I admit that maaaybe I was not really considering the majority of opinion but really just mine? :hooker:  I was struggling to get my final opinion whether this album is better or not than what she released so far  :toofunny:

Anyway, anything is better than Paradise. 

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what the artistic development is on UV, which everyone hails as a stepping stone in her career. Is it the rock sound? Her lyrics didn't seem to change much. Her vocals improved. Her music didn't seem to become more complex or really change much. I'd really like a fan of UV to explain what makes it a more mature record than Born to Die, or Paradise, or AKA. I don't think it's bad, at all, but I just don't understand the hype around it.  :judgingu3:

IMO, her writing is better on UV than it is on any other album. The imagery, the rhymes, and the situations she describes are great. I feel like you can tell she took her time making each song great. There weren't as many cringey lines that she threw in out of laziness on the album. Like as much as I love Salvatore, the soft ice cream line makes me go WTF every time, especially since she ends the song with that lyric. There aren't as many of these moments on UV. The only line that sticks out to me on UV as being bad is "I'm a dragon, you're a whore." Just a weird juxtaposition and it's dumb that she's calling someone a whore on a song where she's saying she fucked her way to the top.

149o3h3.jpg

I agree with the general consensus that she needs to challenge herself. As much as I admire her work and connect to her viewpoint more than most artists right now, there's something missing in her work ethic as an artist. Doesn't she want to grow? Learn a new instrument, try playing with new forms/elements of expression? Explore a new way of writing or singing? Learning to produce? Where's her hunger? It's like she's paralyzed in a very specific, very evocative spot creatively. She can go 'deeper and deeper' but she can't move PAST it. It feels like compulsion. It can be beautiful and compelling and euphoric when she gets it right, but I'm starting to wonder, like others, where it can go from here. Surely, this is some sort of finale.

For someone who has traveled much of the globe, she acts like no place exists but LA. For someone who claims to be a writer first, I sense no drive to push herself further, to become more nuanced, imaginative, precise. For someone who seems, at heart, mainly preoccupied with existential ponderings, she refuses to offer us a true peak into her intellect. She'd rather link to a famous philosopher's video than share her own opinion. Similar thoughts on why she covers Nina Simone and quotes TS Eliot on record — to add a weight her own work cannot provide yet.  For awhile, that evasion felt like mystique, now it's beginning to reek a bit of fear. She's managed to create a pseudo-reality for herself where she gets to play the frigid icon who never explains, but she's painted herself into corner, one where she cannot let loose and experiment and fuck up and be FREE. She professes her love of being WILD and FREE,  but she seems quite conservative and inhibited at the end of the day. I mean, the fact that she hates Thai food (and also "spicy and exotic" food) actually says a lot about her tolerance for 'openness to new experiences'. I maintain the belief that she's actually closer to Little Edie of Grey Gardens than Marilyn Monroe — a grandiose recluse. And that is fascinating. But there's many ways to create haunting art that deviates from the themes she's already worn thin. I'd like to see her explore her devout solipsism a new way. Or even better, let go of it, connect with the real world and join humanity. At some point, the bubble needs to burst.

Maybe she SHOULD start by traveling somewhere new. If she were in Seoul or Tokyo or Cairo, would she just shut her eyes to the present moment? Has anything new inspired her since she first started making music? She prides herself on 'always being inspired by the same few things,' but either her relationship to those things needs to change, or the actual content does. As beautiful and intriguing as Honeymoon is, it is safer than Ultraviolence, where she tried on new sounds, moods, perspectives, eras of living. Honeymoon all feels like a daydream of youth and romance long dead and gone. I'm okay with that, if it really IS the "swan song" for the Haunted Hollywood LDR. It's hard to tell where Lana's head is at now. On one level, she seems to be getting more metaphysical, on another, she seems to want to stick to shallow tropes. It's almost like she's afraid to show how smart she actually is. There's some vanity vs. intelligence schism within her that I've never understood, but seems to hold her back. It's always sad when women dumb themselves down, and the reasons are always rooted in fear of rejection.

TL;DR:

I get that she's aiming to be an Auteur, therefore consistent in her themes, but I mean, even Woody Allen eventually ventured outside of the neurotic tics of the Upper West Side....

For someone who has traveled much of the globe, she acts like no place exists but LA. For someone who claims to be a writer first, I sense no drive to push herself further, to become more nuanced, imaginative, precise. For someone who seems, at heart, mainly preoccupied with existential ponderings, she refuses to offer us a true peak into her intellect. She'd rather link to a famous philosopher's video than share her own opinion. Similar thoughts on why she covers Nina Simone and quotes TS Eliot on record — to add a weight her own work cannot provide yet.  For awhile, that evasion felt like mystique, now it's beginning to reek a bit of fear. She's managed to create a pseudo-reality for herself where she gets to play the frigid icon who never explains, but she's painted herself into corner, one where she cannot let loose and experiment and fuck up and be FREE. She professes her love of being WILD and FREE,  but she seems quite conservative and inhibited at the end of the day. I mean, the fact that she hates Thai food (and also "spicy and exotic" food) actually says a lot about her tolerance for 'openness to new experiences'. I maintain the belief that she's actually closer to Little Edie of Grey Gardens than Marilyn Monroe — a grandiose recluse. And that is fascinating.

Interesting insightful post. I agree with some of it to a degree.

[...]

It is amazing to read this. I actually think this is her most diverse and ambitious record. I feel like she's never sounded so strong. But that's just my opinion.

I agree 100% with the lyrics thing though. If she believes she's the songwriter of our generation, why is she using trigonometry as a metaphor to difficulty? :rip:

My honest opinion: I feel like this album is going to be just another Paradise in her career - a beautiful record but with no really artistic development. The true is that we ( as fans) listened to her music so much and spend our times reading her interviews, lyrics and trying to understand every single piece of her work that' listening to Lana, her world and vision it's easier for us than the rest of the world. I think it happened with everyone here but how many songs you hated when you first listened and still think it's bad but now you are capable of listening because it's a Lana song? 
What really happened with me while listening to this album is I found myself questioning "Am I liking this because it's good or because is Lana singing?" quite often. And this is because I don't feel any surprise listening to this, it's Lana in her better version of herself but I still feel like "I've been there, done that". Does it make sense? Has someone here felt the same way? It's not bad it's lacks something as a whole....maybe ambition to expand her sound and landscape. I can feel her ambition and vision with some tracks ( Salvatore and The Blackest Day) but also her boredom on the rest of the album. If I could choose one line to define the album I think I would say “I've got nothing much to live for/Ever since I found my fame" because this lack of    desire and aspiration  it's clear through the album. 

I don't like when people say this because, to be completely honest, this is not my case. If I hate a Lana song, I hate it with all my heart. I can't listen to it and I don't care if it has Lana's vocals. And if I like a song by her that's because the song's good and that's all, it isn't because Lana is singing.

No, we totally hate her. Halsey is the new Queen of Pop. That's why we post here.

I Love Lana and Halsey.. :D  and a fuck of a lot of others.. LMFAO, dont know why so many people

get hung up on liking only one artist.. like seriously why would you limit yourselfs.. we can be

music listening whores ya know.. :P  i love em all.. well, not all , but many.. :)

I don't think it will only becuase even though Lana deserves every award in the world, she gets overlooked for a lot of big awards like that. It's probably due to all of the controversy about her.  :azealia:

I don't know the critics seem to be appreciating Honeymoon a lot more than her other albums 

the private video could be PWYC video

:toofunny: