annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Lana couldn't care less...

This is actually an argument that she could do just what @@graham4anything suggests. I mean she wouldn't care about preventing it. However, I hope she continues to support the free, non-exclusive Spotify streaming service. I don't know if Spotify exploits artists or not, but as a consumer and occasional overall music enthusiast (pop and otherwise), it's very nice (and the lyrics function, if they ever get that working again, is great too, do other services have that?). 

The "surprise" tactic for a release just seems to be something people do to prevent leaking before official release. And if she ever did grace us with a surprise, releasing the leaked/suppressed digitally (and maybe use the streaming service to help sell them) would be my wish. Maybe they'd not make as much as any new release would, but they'd make more than they currently do.

Lana always was one of the top Spotify artists, and Spotify is now in the last month or two the official Billboard streaming company

(but only for the Top 100 singles), so in away, Billboard increases play for those that are already getting play...something wrong with that...(which as Lana is not going for top 10 songs doesn't help her)

NOTE- this is just in the last month- so this did not affect Lana in the past and could help her in the future but it tends to help more the commercial artists (and no, I wasn't comparing Lana to Drake or Beyoncé in any way, she is not looking to be them).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

When did this become a rumor?

didn't this info came from the person who leakd her twitter? when yes, we can't be sure it is coming that month or year

Mfhp.gif

didn't this info came from the person who leakd her twitter? when yes, we can't be sure it is coming that month or year

It was never confirmed that he actually talked about Lana and I don't really consider a hacker who hacks an account and posts childish sh*t like that a relieable source

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I do believe the new album will be surprise released streaming exclusive like Drake and Rihanna and Beyoncé did

the music industry is going in that direction and then a few weeks later mass released.

Those streaming places offer good deals and that way it can be dropped in an instance (and if someone else is doing that

the same week, they would know and move it to a different week.

Chance the Rapper did this last week and became the first album to chart high doing so with only streaming points on Billboard

(and yes I know someone said someone said someone said Lana said she wouldn't do that, but that was a while ago,

and, of course, one doesn't let one in on a surprise, because it wouldn't be a surprise then would it?

After all, without the surprise Drake drop, Lana had a mega-lead that week for a sure-shot #1 record.

Once bitten twice shy

It doesn't matter how she releases the album because if the album isn't that good it won't chart well. BTD is still in the top 200 despite it being released years ago. UV sold incredible well. HM didn't do that well.

@@gloomyharlow

that is one random answer there.

Honeymoon was on course for the #1 debut but the surprise drop of Drake kept it out of #1 and it was #2 debut.

Reason Born to die will always be biggest seller (at least until there is a 50 greatest essential album, is all superstars have that one album, usually an early one that is the one that remains the biggest.

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the moon- over 800 weeks on the charts

People recommending a great artist or artiste' usually say the early one that is still available in the stores (for a physical copy) or even for download.

Elton John's Goodbye Yellowbrick road and captain Fantastic (later Greatest Hits) but yet he still releases great music every year or two.

Besides, Born to die is now 2 albums as it includes Paradise (and it counts as Born to die, not the stand alone Paradise)

I count Paradise as a stand alone LP as it should be. It is her first full concept album, like Ultraviolence and Honeymoon afterwards. (So her new one I count as 6)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

TLY is amazing! The electronic sound reminds me of Fuck Me Pumps by Amy Winehouse (or is it from the Remix single of the song? Idk )

Prob a remix cause they're two completely uncomparable songs...

@@gloomyharlow

Just for comparison

Meaghan Trainor has had 3 #1s and a 4th song that hit #3 in the USA

Her first album opened 268,000

Her latest album 117,000

that is with 3 of the most played songs, in the last few weeks

Record sales are not what they used to be

and of course, one should never compare an artiste like Lana with a commercial hitmaker singing novelty songs and such as Meaghan

I myself would rather listen to Honeymoon thousands of times than Meaghan twice.

Novelty artist is the perfect way to describe Meghag Trainor. There is no artistry in her work, she may have a handful of hits already , but it's a question of quality over quantity.

She is manufactured pop for a large audience, unlike Lana who uses very adult themes, often in vulgar ways. Lana is more suited for alt/AC radio (which is even debatable if she falls into those categories) whereas Meghan can get airplay in the most commercial markets.

Music sales are a numbers game. It depends how you spin it and who's spinning it