Sign in to follow this  
joshuasean2900

Your Lana Opinions - Then vs. Now

The first song and video of Lana's that I heard/saw was National Anthem. I was in my dorm room and my roommate had just gotten a poster of Marilyn Monroe. I was bored and so I decided to look up Marilyn singing to the national anthem to JFK, and all the comments were like "OMG Lana Del Rey National Anthem!" 

I was like who the fuck is Lana Del Rey. So I looked up Lana and the video and was blown away because of the images and the sound of National Anthem! Especially since Kennedy is my favorite president and Lana was Jackie O and ASAP Rocky was the president. 

I prefer her Born To Die music and unreleased material way more than the newer stuff, its just better  :fact:

I was introduced to Lana when my friend sent me West Coast. I didn't know much about Lana before that, but I knew she was a pop artist who employed some vintage style in her work. When I heard West Coast I immediately fell in love with it and went and preordered the album without knowing any other songs from her (I had heard Video Games once in 2011 tho) and when I eventually listened to the album it really made me respect her as an artist. I was so in love with the whole album that I didn't feel the need to listen to any of her other music until spring this year. So my whole image and impression of her was based on Ultraviolence.

As for now... Ultraviolence had made me think that she was past her pop/hiphop beats music but when I heard Honeymoon I was kind of disappointed and thus now I don't really feel much of anything for her. I still do admire her for Ultraviolence though and some of her other songs (Cola, Dark Paradise, Blue Jeans, Video Games, MTWBT for example)

I used to thin she was sorta cool but now she's my main fave and I love her.

The huge number of her songs really solidified my love for her. The more good songs a musician gives me the more I like them and Lana and the leakers gave so much :crying:

Thought she was boring for a couple of months, but once I got into M&TD in late 2013, I softened up to her BTD sound and ended up loving her. I remember my trip to Paris was just non-stop Lana music-wise. She's been one of my favourite artists since. Her Hollywood imagery makes me so happy.  :flutter:

redline

Knew her as Lizzy very early on thanks to a friend and she has never stopped amazing me.

Her Lana albums including Paradise, which I consider a standalone, are continuous listeneing now for what 4 years, plus all the other songs.

Said it very early on, and it continues to be true - if I took everyone I enjoyed in the last 50 years and the artists I now enjoy prior blend it all together and make one perfect artist, it is Lana.

There is no wasted song on any album, no filler.

Every other artist in the past I listened to had 2 or 3 or 4 great songs on an album, the rest filler.

Lana no filler, all part of the saga.

When the album is on, I don't skip songs, sometimes on youtube or spotify will play the same song 10 times

There is not time in the day to listen to all the older songs, wish sometime there would be box sets of all of them

And all the duets.

When a close relative died in the spring, and we spent the summer emptying out her house, the one song that I kept returning to everytime we drove back and forth, was Pawn Shop Blues

It was so perfect to what we were going through, which was yet another time that her songs personally helped me through very hard times.

It really is hard to explain.

and listening in the car late at night on the highway music turned up real real loud

(the bridge in Ride and Americans keep popping through my mind)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I remember I was watching a Marina video (Primadonna 99% positive) and well, i saw National Anthem in the reccomendations so I was kinda like "who the fuck is this" and I ended up watching the video and I thought it was a true bop tbh. I started listening to Lana more and I thought she was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. Then in summer of 2013 I listened to Serial Killer and I was slayed tbh then I ended up listening to a bunch of her unrealesed throughout the rest of '13. Then Ultraviolence came and wowowow.

Her music still means a lot to me and has helped me so much no matter how many times I listen and honestly I'm pretty sure I've listened to her everyday :smile2:

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

My dad introduced me to her in 2012 around when BTD was released. I remember hearing Born to Die, Blue Jeans and Video Games and thinking wow... she has such a weird/deep voice? Then I forgot about her for a couple of weeks when I came back to her and listened to Born to Die. I thought her voice was SO weird, deep and different, and I didn't think I liked her, but I kept repeating Born to Die over and over, I was actually entranced by it. My Dad had bought the album so I put it on my phone and listened to her on and off and then when the Paradise trailer was released, which I watched so often before the EP was out, I knew I loved her music.

Paradise also used to be my favourite work by her until Honeymoon came out, which I then realised Ultraviolence is my favourite (not sure how that works).

her BTD look/era will always be my favourite though.

A few opinions of mine that have changed…

At first, Born to Die was by far my favourite album, and although I liked UV and Paradise, I didn't think they were as good as BTD. But now, when I rank the albums, UV and AKA both come before BTD. (Paradise has almost always been my least favourite however).

At first, I thought West Coast was one of her most mediocre songs, but now, boy oh boy have my opinions changed. West Coast is now my favourite song ever from any artist. It's so dark yet beautiful, and those iconic, intense synthesisers at the end of the song literally kill me every time.

I never used to like AKA very much, I didn't really like the country/rural imagery presented in it, but now, I love the entire album and the imagery is one of my favourite things about it. I used to only listen to a few songs (Jump, QOTGS, Gramma, Pawn Shop Blues), but now I can really appreciate the artistry in all of the songs and I only skip For K Part 2, because idk it's just a tad inferior to the other songs.

I never used to be an "album person" at all, I would listen to lots of individual singles, but never really full albums. But since listening to Lana, I've appreciated how cohesive albums can be and how they tell stories when you listen the whole way through. Not only am I an "album person" now, but I find myself putting my playlist with Lana's entire released discography from AKA to Honeymoon on quite a lot. All the albums flow perfectly from one another.

I used to hate This Is What Makes Us Girls and Money Power Glory but thankfully I saw the light because they're both amazing  :flutter:

When the Honeymoon album cover art was released, I HATED it. Luckily it's grown on me since then (I still think it's her least flattering cover art and it should have just been used as a promo shoot, but I do appreciate the message it portrays in relation to voyeurism)

I used to think that a lot of unreleased songs were better than actual released songs, but since then, my opinion has changed so much. I think I just used to be attracted to a lot of her more upbeat pop stuff that was unreleased, but since then I've started to hate most kinds of pop music & I find Lana's actual discography covers more unique sounds and atmospheres.

I couldn't get into BTD that much in 2012 but it changed now.

UV is still my fave but GNR and FK are a little vit boring.

I can handle the sadness in HM more now I wonder what time brings for me.

I still have to learn to really fall in love with her without being sad or depressed.

Mfhp.gif

For a few weeks i thought HM was better than UV :eek:  now i don't at all. UV (Until when ever her next record comes out) is her magnum opus. I don't honesty care that the UV era was messy BC the album itself made up for it so much in the long run.

I used to not really care for A.K.A but now I need it my life tbh I love Brite Lights now mainly bc it reminds me of the sleazy clubs/pubs that are in my town and the people I see dropping out of them at three in the morning on the weekend. I use to hate it with a passion at one point  :sadcore6:

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I heard about the song Video Games and thought she was this

tumblr_l8lz5565Vo1qdet5oo1_500.jpg

trying to cash on lonely nerds.

Than I heard the song and changed my mind, not to mention kicked my internalised misogyny to the curb and here I am.

(Or at least that's the short story... The long one is more complicated, gonna post it later).

i am nothing and should be everything