Trash Magic

Dua Lipa

pop girls need to stop trying to be earthy and hippy, did they learn nothing from solar power?

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

the album will find its little niche community/fans later on like solar power by lorde and smile by katy perry 

14 hours ago, ultrabanisters said:

maria

Hide contents

this really reminds me of another song but i really cannot figure out which one

i liked the effects dotted about the song. quite a guitar heavy song. sort of reminiscent of a european all inclusive resort vibe if that makes any sense to anyone here. i like it! i can see myself enjoying this when i’m in a more relaxed mood

dont get me wrong, it’s a heavy pop song, but has a more relaxed vibe to it. quite summery. cant see this being as big as a hit as other tracks bar the chorus. that being said, it is quite radio friendly so may get a surprising amount of airplay if her team send it to the stations

the bridge was probably my favourite part of the song. i wonder who maria is

maria's guitar rift sounds similar to kesha's die young guitar rift. the guitar only has so many chords, notes, and strings though

5 hours ago, SlowGinFizzzz said:

Just finished my first listen and I can confidently say that AOTY has arrived. Incredible project, beginning to end. Dua just gets it, I honestly don't think there's any other artist in pop as exciting as her right now.

I can't really pick any favourites yet, but End Of An Era and Falling Forever were the immediate standout tracks to me. I know I'm gonna have hours and hours of fun with this album.

😂😂😂

Album of the year? Yeah, right. 

5 hours ago, SlowGinFizzzz said:

Just finished my first listen and I can confidently say that AOTY has arrived. Incredible project, beginning to end. Dua just gets it, I honestly don't think there's any other artist in pop as exciting as her right now.

Guurl...

9 hours ago, Coney Island King said:

The album has some good tracks but overall it’s a major step down from her last album. It’s just lacking.

If she wanted to keep the same sound, then bring the big strong hooks and choruses from FN, otherwise go nuts and try something new. She’s done neither, it just feels very safe and uninspired tbh.

Falling Forever, Houdini and End of an Era are good. 

Agreed. Barely 30 mins long, and can't even land on a consistent sound throughout? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Some tracks are solid, only the singles really slap, and most tracks are just mid.

And then, some songs are a literal assault on the ears (Falling Forever, which sounds like a BAD Eurovision song)

Major step down from FN.

Cowboy Carter is a monumental achievement by comparison. That album could have easily been 3 individual albums that are longer and better than RO.

Radical Optimism was alright. Some people in these forums were harsh on it though, which is why I got my own opinion on it by listening to it. Critics are going to go ham on this album though as I can say it's a downgrade from Future Nostalgia but the woman can only do so much. The singles were the highlights in my opinion. The album tracks don't sound like single mainstream material so the promotional route for the album is probably going to be different compared to her other albums with 6+ singles and promotional singles. I can tell a deluxe or reissue is coming so I'm saving my money to buy it later. Hopefully those extra tracks can help the album pop more (and not just it being a compilation of her being a featured artist)

Exact same pitchfork score as TTPD. And I really am seeing the parallels between these two albums.

Theyre both kind of releasing completely unnecessarily. They dont provide anything new to the artists body of work. Dont push any boundaries. Most tracks are very samey and lack identity save for a few. Its not a bad album but its not moving any measure. 

Theres good songs on here but this isnt a great album.

There were people saying Dua Lipa was the next Lady Gaga after Future Nostalgia released and her next album was going to be huge. This is definitely not that…

5 minutes ago, slayyyngel said:

Exact same pitchfork score as TTPD. And I really am seeing the parallels between these two albums.

Theyre both kind of releasing completely unnecessarily. They dont provide anything new to the artists body of work. Dont push any boundaries. Most tracks are very samey and lack identity save for a few. Its not a bad album but its not moving any measure. 

Theres good songs on here but this isnt a great album.

There were people saying Dua Lipa was the next Lady Gaga after Future Nostalgia released and her next album was going to be huge. This is definitely not that…

What's TTPD?

These abbreviations are killing me.

I don’t think people would be complaining nearly as much about this if she didn’t talk up a new psychedelic sound/massive attack influences/etc. 

all of the choices around this are really odd though. She really had huge critical and commercial hype I feel like after FN for being a hit maker that created (and perfected nearly) a niche sound that was really her own and she just kind of did…nothing with it. It’s just a miss I think to follow up FN with an album as beige as this. 

this would have made more sense to follow up her debut imo, but to downgrade to this after something as focused as FN is weird. 

Not to say there aren’t decent bops on here, but overall this is a miss for me