PARADIXO

Post-BTD singles that could have been hits

The fact that I'm literally the first to say

COLA - the hit that got away

disgusts me.

Also: Gods & Monsters, Brooklyn Baby, Black Beauty, Florida Kilos and Freak

Basically.

Black Beauty I think wouldn't have been a hit. It's a beautiful song, but I don't think it would have faired well.

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

disgusts me.

Honey, no. My pussy tastes like Pepsi Cola is a line that you will never hear on the radio. No airplay, no hits. And Idk why ppl keep mentioning FK. Have y'all not listened to the lyrics? Which station would play that?

HOW can i FORGET. I was really hoping Cola would be on Tropico, or at least its own music video. Ugh well, we did get the cool poem monologue for Cola.

Honey, no. My :) tastes like Pepsi Cola is a line that you will never hear on the radio. No airplay, no hits. And Idk why ppl keep mentioning FK. Have y'all not listened to the lyrics? Which station would play that?

But there are sooo many songs on radio about drugs and sex. Maybe its just when a female does it its suddenly not okay -_- idek

But they could easily just silence the "p*ssy" in Cola like they do with a lot of swear words on radio clean versions.

Oh well :)

Honey, no. My :) tastes like Pepsi Cola is a line that you will never hear on the radio. No airplay, no hits. And Idk why ppl keep mentioning FK. Have y'all not listened to the lyrics? Which station would play that?

Put a rapper on a Florida Kilos remix (say A$AP Rocky), and the song could have gotten radio play on big hip-hop radio stations which would have zero problem with the lyrical content.

-------------------

High By The Beach, West Coast,  and Florida Kilos all could have been hits. She just didn't put in the effort for that.

giphy.gif

disgusts me.

I agree with this all. EXCEPT Cola. That song wouldn't have gotten airplay. Plus its not good.

Its funny because the older Lana's music gets and the more music she puts out, the less likely it sounds radio friendly. For some reason, now I can't picture any of her more recent songs on the radio. Its not necessarily a bad thing. I just cant though.

I agree with this all. EXCEPT Cola. That song wouldn't have gotten airplay. Plus its not good.

Its funny because the older Lana's music gets and the more music she puts out, the less likely it sounds radio friendly. For some reason, now I can't picture any of her more recent songs on the radio. Its not necessarily a bad thing. I just cant though.

Woooaahhhh I will not let anyone speak of Cola in that way. It would have gotten a lot of airplay. It's one of her most catchy songs and a clean version could have easily been sent to radio. The song is really good. The lyrics, the production, the vibe. A perfect summer single.

I seriously don't understand where all the hate is coming from back in the days people were rating it as one of the best songs from Paradise.

tumblr_n4tas9suZA1s73qs0o1_500.gif

Radio is not as conservative as you say it is lmao...Pumped Up Kicks is about a guy shooting his classmates and it got massive airplay. You have a shit ton of songs by male and female artists alike with rather obvious double-entendres. S&M by Rihanna, several Nicki Minaj songs, Mike Posner's I Took a Pill in Ibiza.

...Cola is harmless. Replace Pussy with "my lips they" and you're fine. Brooklyn Baby could have replaced the hydroponic weed line with the line from the first chorus.

Basically.

Black Beauty I think wouldn't have been a hit. It's a beautiful song, but I don't think it would have faired well.

It's more of a power/rock ballad. If it's easy to sing along, then it's definitely suited for radio. Summertime Sadness (the original) is kind of similar in structure and patterns to Black Beauty. That song received lots of airplay here in Germany. Video Games even went #1. Yall are seriously underestimating Lana. Her music is more popular acclaimed than you guys think. It's just...that she doesn't get enough exposure. National Anthem - an actual bop, received no airplay but most likely would have in other territories where it wasn't released.

Radio is not as conservative as you say it is lmao...Pumped Up Kicks is about a guy shooting his classmates and it got massive airplay. You have a :) ton of songs by male and female artists alike with rather obvious double-entendres. S&M by Rihanna, several Nicki Minaj songs, Mike Posner's I Took a Pill in Ibiza.

...Cola is harmless. Replace :) with "my lips they" and you're fine. Brooklyn Baby could have replaced the hydroponic weed line with the line from the first chorus.

Pumped Up Kicks wasn't the best example, since they eventually did pull that song from rotation after some school shooting happened.

giphy.gif

Woooaahhhh I will not let anyone speak of Cola in that way. It would have gotten a lot of airplay. It's one of her most catchy songs and a clean version could have easily been sent to radio. The song is really good. The lyrics, the production, the vibe. A perfect summer single.

I seriously don't understand where all the hate is coming from back in the days people were rating it as one of the best songs from Paradise.

The song is okay. Like I can listen to it. But it's not all that. The melody was great but those lyrics were....not that good.

The best song on Paradise was probably Gods and Monsters.

the only two lana songs that i've ever heard on the radio are high by the beach + dont let me be misunderstood - the first was played on a show dedicated to playing songs in the american charts, and the second was played on a jazz show

update (23/01/2018): i've since heard once upon a dream (LT) + west coast (DOL), and one time i walked into a bar that was playing young and beautiful

tumblr_oq5qbhvXRQ1v790vno1_540.png

TOP 100 HITS:

nothing. honestly. lana just doesn't have GA/TPO 100 appeal, she's more cult fanfare. i'm okay with this.

Um apparently she does; Video Games, Born To Die and Summertime Sadness were very successful, and Blue Jeans, Ride, Dark Paradise, Young & Beautiful and West Coast didn't do that bad, either. If she did some promo like during the BTD era, she could definitely have some hits.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Idk if I can say this but I do believe Salvatore could have been remixed or smt and get huge because it's an insanely strong melody. And I adore everything from UV so I can't be partial for it

True! I can totally see every other girl smoking outside the club singing Salvatore's radio edit or some remix, it's extremely catchy

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

West Coast and High By The Beach were the correct lead singles from Ultraviolence and Honeymoon respectively and should have been promoted much more heavily. Aside from those, nothing screams "HIT SINGLE" from either of those albums unless given a catchy remix like Summertime Sadness.

West Coast and High By The Beach were the correct lead singles from Ultraviolence and Honeymoon respectively and should have been promoted much more heavily. Aside from those, nothing screams "HIT SINGLE" from either of those albums unless given a catchy remix like Summertime Sadness.

Absolutely not, especially the latter. I think Freak has much more commercial appeal than HBTB which is also one of Lana's worst songs.

I think OTTR (Off to the races) would have done SO well as a single if they had cut it a bit shorter for a single release. It's energetic, perky, cheeky, bit of rap, amazing lyrics etc.

Edit: didn't properly read the title, says POST BTD, whoops. Still, I stand by OTTR.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven