Jack

Melanie Martinez

3 hours ago, a banister said:

i think class fight was reworked by her a lot, but im not sure

i remember there being an interview or a q&a with her and Keenan where she said a song from k-12 got reworked but i dont remember which one it was

it was class fight! pretty sure that's from when she also said that she doesn't usually change songs much

Some Melanie songs, especially 2013 EP era stuff, were heavily reworked. Dear Porcupines has an interesting history:

1. Acoustic self-production
  2. The Elev3n (two leaked demso)
  3. Studio acoustic by Miles Nasta 
  4. Doveman (four leaked mixes)

And she was going to have it re-produced again for Cry Baby but ultimately, this never happened (as far as we know).

Notably though, these were mostly just production changes rather than lyrical differences. Another example of this is Play Date— which started off as a piano ballad with Jennifer Decilveo, before being remade by Michael Keenan!

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

31 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Some Melanie songs, especially 2013 EP era stuff, were heavily reworked. Dear Porcupines has an interesting history:

1. Acoustic self-production
  2. The Elev3n (two leaked demso)
  3. Studio acoustic by Miles Nasta 
  4. Doveman (four leaked mixes)

And she was going to have it re-produced again for Cry Baby but ultimately, this never happened (as far as we know).

Notably though, these were mostly just production changes rather than lyrical differences. Another example of this is Play Date— which started off as a piano ballad with Jennifer Decilveo, before being remade by Michael Keenan!

I think that may be the case in her early material, when she didn’t find her usual collaborators and didn’t have as much control in the what the label wanted! Later on really seems like she doesn’t change the songs much from the original demo… 

Remember when in 2017 she teased some lyrics from Lunchbox Friends on an ista post and the only noticeable change with the 2019 one was the “come home let’s cry together” to “come home let’s die together” (for me the first one made more sense… she explained it was supposed to mean some kind of rebird but I don’t think that fits the school theme)

Anyways, are we getting a snippet today? 

other than a single and the tracklist, i really hope she doesnt drop anymore info from this project till its released

snippets are cool but when she dropped EVERYTHING like in k-12 it did take the hype away from the first listen

On 2/22/2023 at 5:26 PM, Anonymcomenter said:

The thing with the mask.. usually artists want to be recognizable to their audience to gain fans and catch attention for future proyects! I don’t know, I think she’s stepping on her own toes with this one! Aslo, it’s really ugly, sorry but I can’t get used to it :eek:

Aren’t sirens meant to be beautiful? I would have preferred even if you want to make them look scary something like in Pirates of the Caribbean… 

On 2/22/2023 at 5:43 PM, The Siren said:

listen to Birthing Addicts! 

not really. these are sirens, aka harpies. not sure of when mermaids were introduced as sirens?

On 2/22/2023 at 5:47 PM, Glitter Boy said:

No they're not. That's something contemporary lol - the mythology origins allude to a rather horrifying creature. I'll do a lil research on it soon to expand on this a little bit, it's very fascinating to me :flutter: 

On 2/22/2023 at 5:49 PM, Anonymcomenter said:

Well… where I come from sirens are more related to mermaids than harpies. I know in Greek mithology they were presented as half bird, but that concept evolved and considering she mentions sailors and drowning in the song, I was expecting something else…

Sirens have a different look and storyline depending on where you get your info from. Greeks aren't the only cultures to have mentioned them. They sometimes are mermaids, they are sometimes those half birds things, they could even be the ugly deformed thing, even aliens. So really she could be any type.

The most popular you see in tv and movies are the ones who mask themselves as your inner desires/temptation and with a song to lure you into the ocean and drown you. They mostly have been depicted as beautiful and then when you get close they transform into something terrifying and then drown. There's always been a thin line on if mermaids are interchangeable. But with lore, obviously people are going to have a creative take because they aren't real. So I wouldn't overthink it.

It’s odd how she teased like 5 songs, the cover and merch and then proceeded to disappear again :flop:

Maybe the reason yesterday she didn’t post anything it’s because the day before she teased 2 songs at the same time (Sirens and Tunnel Vision)… I guess we’ll see today 

i really wonder if shes gonna acknowledge specific leaked songs that dont make the album cut in a deluxe version for the fans or something, or if shes just pretending the leaks never happened as best she can and sticking to her original vision,, idk this era since 2020 has been an absolute wreck and im so intrigued to see how things are being stitched back together behind the scenes