Jack

Melanie Martinez

The movie was AMAZING

lol she's trying too hard. this was bad af

the lack of taste...

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

i think if she put this album and movie out in 2016 i wouldve been impressed, but its been like 4 years and where is the growth sis

well let’s use our head here. that means that the album would have had been mixed, written, and completely finished by the end of 2015. The movie would only have half of a year to make a 2016 release if the music was finished in 2015. The movie actually wasn’t written until 2017.

Think about the lack of thought or care that would’ve went into it if it was rushed to be released by 2016. You needed it finished mastered recolored retouched edited and sound checked within a YEAR to be happy? Not even REAL movies can be finished that fast. It’s not realistic.

I think the fact this girl spent so much time writing, producing, sitting on music for years at this point because she wanted everything perfect, is fucking amazing. I don’t mind fuckin waiting as long as it comes back to me the way the ARTIST wanted me to see it, not the goddamn label.

well let’s use our head here. that means that the album would have had been mixed, written, and completely finished by the end of 2015. The movie would only have half of a year to make a 2016 release if the music was finished in 2015. The movie actually wasn’t written until 2017.

Think about the lack of thought or care that would’ve went into it if it was rushed to be released by 2016. You needed it finished mastered recolored retouched edited and sound checked within a YEAR to be happy? Not even REAL movies can be finished that fast. It’s not realistic.

I think the fact this girl spent so much time writing, producing, sitting on music for years at this point because she wanted everything perfect, is fucking amazing. I don’t mind fuckin waiting as long as it comes back to me the way the ARTIST wanted me to see it, not the goddamn label.

I get where youre coming from. my thought is just after such a long wait, it should be incredible. and personally I don't think that's the case. if she knew she was going to be putting this much time and effort into a project, perhaps she couldve gone in an entirely different direction so that it wouldnt come off as stale cry baby rehash from four years ago.

im just disappointed cause i went through a mel phase for a minute and then grew up and got tired of the whole cry baby concept. if she wouldve made one or two songs with these themes in the lyrics, i wouldve been 100% here for that. an entire album with these lyrics was already a bit much for me. you can listen to one song on cry baby and youve basically heard the entire album. then she had to spend four years dragging out the same concept thats already been beat to death, and to top it off the production sounds even cheaper and consistently monotone. I just hoped she could redeem herself and now I think this has just solidified my distaste for her. sorry for the negativity, again im just disappointed

that movie was baddddddddd 

the production value? I can appreciate it, but watching it was honestly cringy. Its not well made, the storyline lacks coherence, its not that well written or directed and its more of an ensamble of correlated music videos that an actual movie. And half of the music videos are not that impressive. 

The album itself isn't worthy as much as crybaby. Her first album had an actual emotional connection with its theme: Crybaby as in someone who can't stop crying, who cries a lot, someone lost and helpless in their emotions. It can be read as weird but it has an actual meaning: it questions traditional family values through old fashioned items and ¿classic? americana aesthetics. Nowadays it may sound outdated, but for the year it was released it was pretty cool. It actually reminded me a lot of Marina and the Diamonds' Electraheart. 

But K-12.... its just a reach. The aesthethic is only relevant for its relationship with the first album. Yes, its supposed to be a critique of society and power dynamics through the child's perception of the school. But it doesn't go further than that, and it ends up feeling cheapy and weird, in a bad way. It feels as an album from someone obsessed with childish-like themes, furniture and clothing (and I mean... not that far from reality). Its cringe-worthy. 

I feel bad for Melanie because she put a lof of effort into this project, and the reason for the delay it's surely not the production's fault but for the financing process. Melanie is not beyonce and a film is not easy nor cheap to make. She must have been trough hell trying to accomplish k-12, I can assure you that. But... its just not good. 

i didn't expect the film to be anything above average to be honest, i mean, how good can a movie directed by a singer be? the acting was meh, the dialogue was cringey, the plot (or lack of in this case) made no sense and some of the songs felt a bit disconnected with the 'plot' she was going for. the visuals were amazing, i'll give her that, from styling to decoration to color schemes. 

Just watched the movie again to see if I missed anything and yeah I'm not gonna watch it again. The acting is bad, I've seen better from the really awkward/shy kids in my drama class than some of the actors/actress in this movie. I'll probably still listen to the album and write my own story with it from myself and that's around it.

Movie: 5/10 - the set design, visuals and costumes were really good. I feel like if someone else directed the movie and Melanie co-directed it and wrote the music it could of been a lot better. The script is also pretty bad. It's sounds like a script edgy 15 year old me would write up if I was bored or somethin' 

Album: 7/10 - Some of the songs sound cheap and the weird noises (like the talking, coughing, duck noises, laughing) were extremely annoying. Plus the swearing was really unnecessary. But overall the songs are great! I love Orange Juice, Teacher's Pet, Lunchbox Friends, Detention and High School Sweethearts the most.

dNvtmdN.png

wow ok Lunchbox Friends really could’ve been my favorite if the chorus wasn’t distorted the entire time. The verses are best on the album though, I’ve listened thru once and the album as a whole is solid but nothing was better than my favorites from Cry Baby :$

14417469274.gif

the movie is super cute. i love how she really put a lot of effort in it! the imagery is amazing, love all the choreography too! 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

the entiya album is EXHAUSTED and is it me or all the lyrics sayin the same damn ting like girl...we get it

probs shudnt hav listened to the album b4 the movie cuz the whole time i was itching to skip thru the scenes with the songs i hated :rip:

anyway i liked a couple tracks but even so im not dying to go listen to them they're just sitting there...eh :rip:

k7JHvZQ.gifJuJjSub.gifk7JHvZQ.gif

wow ok Lunchbox Friends really could’ve been my favorite if the chorus wasn’t distorted the entire time. The verses are best on the album though, I’ve listened thru once and the album as a whole is solid but nothing was better than my favorites from Cry Baby :$

nothing was better than anything from crybaby