Jack

Melanie Martinez

14 minutes ago, LanaRayDelMar said:

damn ma it's not that serious :tommy::awkney:

yes it is

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

Leaks being right or not, they literally saved the fandom and made the hiatus between the albums less boring and tiring. In 2018, i was Melanie fan but due to her big hiatus, I stop listening to her, however one day in September I came back to the fandom just to see if something new happened, then a snippet of Haunted leaked, and when I heard that for the first time, I found that so beautiful. So basically, I think that the "Leaks eras" basically save the fandom of her long hiatus.

UAmFDOp.png

1 minute ago, untilsunrise said:

I think we've already established that her fans are not "normal people" :toofunny:

I'm talking about the general public

I know plenty of people who listen casually to Mel, went to her concerts and to her M&G as far as last year when she had her K-12 tour 

They don't need tons of leaks to keep listening to her, in fact most of them aren't even aware of them 

1 minute ago, Sugartears said:

Leaks being right or not, they literally saved the fandom and made the hiatus between the albums less boring and tiring. In 2018, i was Melanie fan but due to her big hiatus, I stop listening to her, however one day in September I came back to the fandom just to see if something new happened, then a snippet of Haunted leaked, and when I heard that for the first time, I found that so beautiful. So basically, I think that the "Leaks eras" basically save the fandom of her long hiatus.

They saved WHO honey? Certainly not the millions of people who listen to Melanie 

Yall are NOT Melanie's (or any other artist's) biggest fanbase, it's the general public, so no, Melanie would be fine if nothing leaked cause it's not you putting food on her table or money in her bank account, it's the hordes of straight girls who don't know the lyrics of half her songs and still pay concert tickets and buy merch

Some people on this thread have a god complex I swear 

4 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

I'm talking about the general public

I know plenty of people who listen casually to Mel, went to her concerts and to her M&G as far as last year when she had her K-12 tour 

They don't need tons of leaks to keep listening to her, in fact most of them aren't even aware of them 

They saved WHO honey? Certainly not the millions of people who listen to Melanie 

Yall are NOT Melanie's (or any other artist's) biggest fanbase, it's the general public, so no, Melanie would be fine if nothing leaked cause it's not you putting food on her table or money in her bank account, it's the hordes of straight girls who don't know the lyrics of half her songs and still pay concert tickets and buy merch

Some people on this thread have a god complex I swear 

Well, I mean, if you have patience to wait 4 years of not hearing Melanie's new music (released or not), congrats to you because I don't this patience. As a big fan, i know that big hiatus always make the artist public fall little by little, that's why the reception of her second album wasn't the same of Crybaby, and also the sound quality wasn't the same too. Listening to unreleased songs doesn't mean that I don't stream the released ones.

UAmFDOp.png

19 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

it's the hordes of straight girls who don't know the lyrics of half her songs and still pay concert tickets and buy merch

They didn't come through for k-12 as hard though :crossed: it did decent but nowhere near cry baby

16 minutes ago, alienprincess said:

They didn't come through for k-12 as hard though :crossed: it did decent but nowhere near cry baby

That's true and I do think the 4 year gap had to do with it but let's not forget that 1) K-12 had no promo before whatsoever, not even a single 2) the Timothy Heller scandal took a huge toll on her fanbase cause a lot of people believed the accusations for years (I think she even sided with Globelamp at one point?) 3) covid 6 months later ended the era

Plus K-12 was not up to par to CB so that's also partly why

The bottom line is, us "stans" are not her biggest demographic in terms of how successful she is and the gp does not need leaks to keep going every now and then, so acting like leaks are good because they keep the "fandom" going is false

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

"Well she was wearing a skirt she was asking for it"

Not to start a fight, but rape culture and music leaking aren't comparable. Music leaking is bound to happen to any artist. It's just part of the music industry and has been for years. Hell, there's bands that leak their own music for promo. A song leeaking, regardless of if an artist advertised the song and never released it or not, is entirely ENTIRELY different from rape culture and always will be. 

The other day y’all said she didn’t say anything when Drama Club leaked but she did say something shady in a Q&A shortly after K-12 was announced I think, when asked about the tracklist she said ‘it’d be easier for someone to just leak the titles’ 

I think that’s what pisses Mel off the most, cause if iirc MPH also leaked before the album was out, and she always tries to keep the concept/tracklist/story as a surprise and you can tell what MM3 is gonna be like from what’s been shared, her upcoming shit always leaks in advance and it must be frustrating

the other reason I can think of is because she got a lot of hate, specially during 2015-2017 for glamorizing child abuse, pedophilia and other taboo themes in her songs and it seems with After School and MM3 she’s moving on to more spiritual/introspective mature ideas, so she probably regrets writing some songs about dark topics she really knew nothing about. see how she wasn’t mad and even discussed 99 cent store because it was just a love song 

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

The bottom line is, us "stans" are not her biggest demographic in terms of how successful she is and the gp does not need leaks to keep going every now and then, so acting like leaks are good because they keep the "fandom" going is false

I never said that leaks are right, I was just listening to them because like you said, K-12 had literally no singles and she didn't released any stand-alone single or a feature, and I got bored and listen to them, but now seeing what Melanie said, I'll try to not listen to her unreleased songs from now.

UAmFDOp.png

7 hours ago, Doja Cat said:

Not her talking about growth when K-12 and After School were a step down from Cry Baby both visually and sonicly, all those leaks shit on everything post Cry Baby

OMG THE FACTS. these leaks made me think about k-12 again and how poor everything in that era was.

the era was a complete mess begining from the fact that she didn't even release any singles or properly promoted it at all aside from some interviews that only stans saw. than we come to the movie and it is SO BAD. it looks very pretty of course, but the acting is below average, the script is one of the worst things i've ever seen, doesn't make any sense and was clearly just trying to stich a bunch of songs together in the laziest way possible. even mamma mia, A JUKEBOX MUSICAL had a better way to put together a plot with songs that have no correlation to each other.

than we have the subject matter of the songs, that for the most part are the most shallow "woke" ideas that don't say anything new. the principal = president bad :( why u must fuck with our dreams. orange juice = have an ED? well but ur beautiful <3 yaayyy she's cured. strawberry shortcake = sexism baaad. and don't even have me started on how BORING and bland the production on this one was, she needs to ditch michael keenan.

we could've at leat got a great era with lots of music videos instead of scenes from a musical that doesn't make any sense, maybe episodic adventures in school like a little tv show? it would be definitely better than what we got. 

3 minutes ago, lovesick said:

. than we come to the movie and it is SO BAD. it looks very pretty of course, but the acting is below average, the script is one of the worst things i've ever seen, doesn't make any sense and was clearly just trying to stich a bunch of songs together in the laziest way possible. 

What makes the k-12 film so much worse is: it wasn't a low budget film. It wasn't some crazy budget like marvel but... For a first time film it was a decent budget of 6 million. She wasted so much fucking money to film on site in Budapest for a month when the whole thing could've been done over green screen and honestly would've likely had higher quality because there would've been more money left to invest into the film's quality. 

What a mess... :bebe: 

Yo the only things I'm going to say are:

1) It was AMAZING to get scrapped songs from both Cry Baby and K-12, that's undeniable and most are certified bops. Fight me.

2) She has the TOTAL right to be mad about leaks as they were scrapped for multiple reasons. We're NOBODY to state if speaking about it was the right move.

3) Leaks are not justified. They should not happen. It doesn't mean we don't use them, my library can be made up of 60% unreleased and 40% purchased files tbh. But leaks typically come from hacks, so it's kind of a love-hate thing I have for them.

4) Nothing we do here will change the fact that Melanie is aware of the leaks, and that she is mad about it. Regardless stuff being scrapped or not, leaked stuff is already out when it was initially shelved. If I was in her place, I'd probably speak out about it too.

5) Leaks DO NOT save fandoms. Discussions and thoughts about artists' music (released AND unreleased), artworks, photoshoots, interviews, live performances, remixes, livestreams, social media posts and anything else DO.

Peace, people. Love y'all. Enjoy the music, and let's wait for news on MM3 'cause I can't wait. :kiss3: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

I think what demaged the film the most is Melanie's insistence that she can make everything by herself, directing, design, photography, script... If she at least got a professional writer with experience to work with her on the script, we could've gotten a much better and coherent project.

1 minute ago, lovesick said:

I think what demaged the film the most is Melanie's insistence that she can make everything by herself, directing, design, photography, script... If she at least got a professional writer with experience to work with her on the script, we could've gotten a much better and coherent project.

It's that and she was stubborn about how to use the budget, so budget went to 1-2 things more than anything else and then for everything else she had to scrap together money. 

1 minute ago, Salem said:

It's that and she was stubborn about how to use the budget, so budget went to 1-2 things more than anything else and then for everything else she had to scrap together money. 

Also I wonder how did Warner gave her 6 MILLION DOLLARS and let her do anything she wanted with it??? It's the only explanation I can get, and also WHYYYY OH WHY did they give her this amount of money for the film and didn't even bother promote it in anyway?

And I fear MM3 is going to the same path as K-12, idk why she would do that but it seems we'll get another movie with no singles or MVs prior to its release, than tour and an EP. Let's hope she at least improves her writing i guess.

ugh me not caring about her post waiting for the next leak long as its old stuff and not new stuff ... i don't think listening to unreleased makes u any less of a fan tbh when artists say that it screams i don't make music because i love it or its my dream im doing this for employment and that's it .. and for her to say ooo my studio doesn't feel safe anymore was such a dramatic try being  charli xcx who actually cares about her music and sometimes records in her OWN HOME and which had been broken into also having to move and having 100 + leaks in one month  then u can afford to say that baby girl cut the mic

40 minutes ago, lovesick said:

than we come to the movie and it is SO BAD. it looks very pretty of course, but the acting is below average, the script is one of the worst things i've ever seen, doesn't make any sense and was clearly just trying to stich a bunch of songs together in the laziest way possible.

I dont think the movie's failure is completely Melanie's fault. She kinda worked what she had and clearly the final product ended up turning out differently than what she meant it to be. She had to literally scrap like more than half of the movie's script/story due to budget and that alone will easily ruin a movie but she also had to fit 13 songs into it (+couldnt even fit one of the songs which says alot ab how much the movie had to be changed) which took up more than half of the script, meaning the final product had about like 1/3 of actual movie script it was originally supposed to have. Imo its almost impossible to make a good movie with all of that going on, the fact that she made something somewhat watchable and that connected in some way that made sense at all is impressive especially regarding the fact that its literally the first movie she ever made and she did it all by herself. And some of yall might say that if she knew shed have to cut out so much of the story and all she shouldve just not made the movie at all which is not a good point bc I think she's really into this movie stuff and she has to start somewhere, good filmaking doesnt usually magically happen at first attempt.

BUT.. Salem is 100% right. She couldve done stuff to avoid some of (if not all) of these issues.

1. As Salem also pointed out, the location was one of the main things that messed everything up because of how much money it took to film there and stuff. She couldve gone for a simpler style for the schools setting (like those old promo pics we got for an earlier K-12 concept, when we thought "bluffington" was a thing) and that wouldve made everything WAY easier and wouldve still been very interesting to look at bc it wouldve felt very artistic. Then she could have also built up with following movies.

2. When she realized that she would have to completely change the movie script drastically she couldve found a experienced writer who could have helped her condense the movie in a way that would be better, it still probably wouldnt have made the best movie but it wouldve been better

3. She couldve not forced 13 songs into the movie and only chosen some main tracks that are important to the films story and then made music videos after the release of the movie that would go along with the movie and add to it

hopefully she'll find some way to avoid these problems in mm3 but since mm3 is probably gonna be in some sort of spiritual realm she'll rlly have to be smart about everything to get it to turn out well