Jack

Melanie Martinez

1 minute ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Another I’ve noticed listening to K-12 again it’s the unnecessary use of curse words… like every song is explicit! It’s like a teenager when they start to use insults to appear more “adult”… I Dont have against explicit tracks at all, I think some in Cry Baby were, but here she clearly over uses it! 

HSS is one of the best from the album yet she has that awful line “and dammit if u fuck me over I will rip ur fucking face apart” 

me too!

Someone said a long time ago that "it's super accurate I guess because little kids talk like that when they're trying to act grown" and I can't stop thinking about that, lmao

3 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Another thing I’ve noticed listening to K-12 again it’s the unnecessary use of curse words… like every song is explicit! It’s like a teenager when they start to use insults to appear more “adult”… I Dont have against explicit tracks at all, I think some in Cry Baby were, but here she clearly over uses it! 

Yeah, probably if that was reduced in like 75%, the album would improve a lot.

so the bad thing actually is to overuse elements... let's hope she doesn't overuse the færie/alien-esque imagery or it will seem tired too at some extent.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

11 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

You spilled :true:

for me the last thing she dropped from her “golden era” was Gingerbread Man! I might have things I like from her latter eras but it hasn’t been the same at all 

Gingerbread Man is probably the best produced song that she made post-CB. The beat is super clean, the lyrics were cute but not silly, and the production has so much depth it's insane, especially on good headphones. I wish she would've gone more for that sound after CB than the stripped back K-12 sound.

13 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

so the bad thing actually is to overuse elements... let's hope she doesn't overuse the færie/alien-esque imagery or it will seem tired too at some extent.

I'm a little worried about the mask. It's really cute, but we're supposed to believe that this is a reincarnated alien version of Cry Baby, not just Melanie in a costume. I hope they've saved budget to make it blink, smooth the seams in the prosthetics, etc. Then it will be perfect. It just looks slightly too Halloween mask-y right now.

10 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

I get the trying to make an album cohesive thing but with K-12 and After School she dropped the ball…

the overuse of practical sounds, curse words, bad writting :xgiggle:, boring production, trying to seem woke, stupid metaphors, horrible lyrics (x1000)… and to top it that joke of a movie I can’t unwatch!! 

Crybaby was cohesive yet no song sounds like the other! Hope this in Portals, yet the cover and title already scare me! If she releases TV, DB and Garden at least there’s some salvation for the music (I’ve already lost all hope in the visuals or the “story”) 

I see what y’all are saying about these pitched down vocals on K-12. :usrsney:

Using them in the chorus on The Principal and Detention is pretty cringe. It makes the music seem very dated imo. Like if Taylor’s use of it on Midnight Rain was questionable, the way it sounds on these songs is criminal. 

The tone of it on Tag You’re It is much better, it’s darker and sounds more like a Billie Eilish eerie type sound rather than this empty echoey sound on K-12.

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

1 minute ago, ButterflyBones said:

I'm a little worried about the mask. It's really cute, but we're supposed to believe that this is a reincarnated alien version of Cry Baby, not just Melanie in a costume. I hope they've saved budget to make it blink, smooth the seams in the prosthetics, etc. Then it will be perfect. It just looks slightly too Halloween mask-y right now.

ngl I hate the mask and the overall visuals a little more each day but I wonder how it will all look like in the film. I have the feeling it will all look better in motion (mvs or the film itself) rather than the current stills / promo pics we have.

7 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

History Eraser and Trophy were robbed

yes omg the initial delux plans instead of ep would have pulled k12 so much better with Just 3 tracks - fire drill, trophy and glue stick, it wouldve been so much better i genuinely dont get the after school ep

history is absolutely great song too and washes the while after school ep tbh (numbers is good tho), shouldve been a stand alone single 

I still think there are so much more better k12 outtakes we really need that vault

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

4 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

ngl I hate the mask and the overall visuals a little more each day but I wonder how it will all look like in the film. I have the feeling it will all look better in motion (mvs or the film itself) rather than the current stills / promo pics we have.

I won’t try to convince myself otherwise this time, like that visual concept is atrocious! And the movie (if the label goes on and makes the same mistake again by giving her a pass) looks like it will be the same! We already saw what happened with k-12, she focused so much making a movie that wasn’t even good, and forgot about the music! Maybe some fans like the whole alien imagery, but I will admit that I hate it more and more each day 

I bet After School would've worked amazing if:

1) it wasn't marketed as a K-12 deluxe (there's NOTHING related between both projects)

2) production was switched up a bit cause it's a little of snoozefest as it was delivered, some rework would've been beneficial for it

3) it was released as an album with songs like History, Lost & Found, Under the Desk, Absorb or Function in a more polished, final form. in the end, I would've gladly waited till 2021 for a full album that sounded more fleshed out.

4) Fire Drill or Copy Cat were marketed as singles from K-12 as they are the only two songs that actually connect a little with K-12 YET they were also omitted from After School so :deadbanana: 

1 minute ago, Glitter Boy said:

I bet After School would've worked amazing if:

1) it wasn't marketed as a K-12 deluxe (there's NOTHING related between both projects)

2) production was switched up a bit cause it's a little of snoozefest as it was delivered, some rework would've been beneficial for it

3) it was extended as an album with songs like History, Lost & Found, Under the Desk, Absorb or Function in a more polished, final form.

4) Fire Drill or Copy Cat were marketed as singles from K-12 as they are the only two songs that actually connect a little with K-12 YET they were also omitted from After School so :deadbanana: 

also don’t forget 

5) Erase (pun intended) Glued, Field Trip and Brain and Heart… and act like that never happened 

1 minute ago, Anonymcomenter said:

also don’t forget 

5) Erase (pun intended) Glued, Field Trip and Brain and Heart… and act like that never happened 

but I do like Field Trip and Brain & Heart :hdu: I'm aware that B&H sounds like an unfinished demo production wise but I do like the beat lol.

maybe I was too disappointed with K-12 that I took everything I could with AS.

I don't see why Portals needs to be a movie... Well produced music videos are plenty for me and don't rely on forced conflict or storylines to make it interesting. I don't fully believe that she can make a whole movie out of this concept and have it make any more sense than K-12.. especially as a sequel to K-12? Like what is the plot supposed to be that drives an entire 2 hours of film? I just want to see her dance around a magic forest and sing, I don't need a whole lore behind every album.

14 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

but I do like Field Trip and Brain & Heart :hdu: I'm aware that B&H sounds like an unfinished demo production wise but I do like the beat lol.

maybe I was too disappointed with K-12 that I took everything I could with AS.

Field Trip instrumental isn’t bad but that chorus… the way she sings

“Bitch, I'm an eleven Life Path, I'm ethereal
I'm the definition of dichotomy, duality
Katarina in the womb for nine months 'til she birthed me” 

must be the most unappealing thing I’ve ever heard no joke!! :awkney2: Like any kind of musicality left her body when she sang that 

So horrible, and what’s the point of calling it Field Trip if it has nothing to do with it? I get the trying to leave the concept behind but go hard or go home. She has already written great songs with no childlike themes like “Bombs on Monday” “Million Men” or “Gold Diggin Love”

Is this even the same person who wrote “Bittersweet Tragedy”, a lyrical masterpiece!! :true:

I didn’t know it was possible but After School is even worse than K-12 (at least the album had some redeeming cualities) 

1 hour ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I forgot The Principal has that phone ringing sound which is the EXACT same tone as my work phone and it is the most triggering sound since my phone rings all day :rip:

history triggers me because the instrumental reminds me of my alarm clock :rip: