Elle

LDR5 Pre-Pre-Release Thread - Take 2

I'm going to see how long i can last without listening to any of lana's released music, Unreleased is allowed. So far i've lasted 3 days!! It's sooooooooo hard

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

AKA has some beautiful instrumental. Reminds me of the sea & ocean (the man I love, jump, gramma, oh say you can see, put me in a movie, kill kill, for K).

I adore 50% of songs in honeymoon but the others are too monotonous for me (God Knows I tried, Honeymoon, 24). C'mon how can you place it above Born to Die (Blue Jeans, Off to the Races, Video Games, Dark Paradise) the production is iconic!

Well, I like BTD, but I do not like what they've did with the album. Sometimes it sounds overproduced, you know? I mean, I'm always in the mood to listen to something from uv, honeymoon or even AKA, but I'm not always in the mood to listen to btd. TIWMUG is a good example, I mean, we have a good story/lyrics, but the song is overproduced (I still like it tho). Sometimes, I think that some of the BTD demos are way better than the final version (DMD, Lolita and TIWMUG are great examples).

Well, I like BTD, but I do not like what they've did with the album. Sometimes it sounds overproduced, you know? I mean, I'm always in the mood to listen to something from uv, honeymoon or even AKA, but I'm not always in the mood to listen to btd. TIWMUG is a good example, I mean, we have a good story/lyrics, but the song is overproduced (I still like it tho). Sometimes, I think that some of the BTD demos are way better than the final version (DMD, Lolita and TIWMUG are great examples).

i agree, sometimes it's just messy noise. Like the third verse of without you and blue jeans. It just sounds a little crazy

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

btd's production missed some points here and there (radio, lolita..) but it's not as if they did a great job on hm. that lq filter on her vocals on half of the songs just adds to the receptiveness of the instrumentals and lyrics. additionally the whole record sounds so "muddy" and not clear when i read that lana (an amateur at mixing) was involved in the mixing i wasn't surprised at all.

which doesn't mean there's no good moments on hm but the dull lq production and repetitive feel is kind of a turn off to listen to hm.

i76mrxw.png 

btd's production missed some points here and there (radio, lolita..) but it's not as if they did a great job on hm. that lq filter on her vocals on half of the songs just adds to the receptiveness of the instrumentals and lyrics. additionally the whole record sounds so "muddy" and not clear when i read that lana (an amateur at mixing) was involved in the mixing i wasn't surprised at all.

which doesn't mean there's no good moments on hm but the dull lq production and repetitive feel is kind of a turn off to listen to hm.

It have some fails, but I still think that HM fails on the lyrics, but not in the production, I mean, it sounds more "clear", more natural, idk, I mean, that's all my opinion, I do like the trip-hop beats, the baroque pop influence and even the jazzy/noir atmosphere in some songs. I still think that for a lot of ppl, BTD sounds like a publicity stunt or something like this. I just think that the producers took Lana's job and wanted to make something more radio friendly, but it harmed the whole album concept and I think that even Lana didn't liked the final product (I always read on this site that there's a interview that she says something about TIWMUG). Of course, that's just my opinion!

By the way, let's get one straight. Lana never said her next album would be upbeat, she said if she would record a new record in New York it would be more upbeat.

This is what she said in the NME Interview:

“I feel like ‘Born To Die’ had a lot of New York in it because I was in New York leading up to the time that the record came out, except for the time I was in London while I was working on it. I find it very easy to go back and forth between a New York state of mind and a California way of being, so I could see me making another New York record. I think it would be different just because it would be a little harder, faster, more upbeat and less dreamy.”

giphy.gif

By the way, let's get one straight. Lana never said her next album would be upbeat, she said if she would record a new record in New York it would be more upbeat.

This is what she said in the NME Interview:

“I feel like ‘Born To Die’ had a lot of New York in it because I was in New York leading up to the time that the record came out, except for the time I was in London while I was working on it. I find it very easy to go back and forth between a New York state of mind and a California way of being, so I could see me making another New York record. I think it would be different just because it would be a little harder, faster, more upbeat and less dreamy.”

Never even realied that.. It better be though. x

i agree, sometimes it's just messy noise. Like the third verse of without you and blue jeans. It just sounds a little crazy

messy parts/break downs are c00l in music

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

It have some fails, but I still think that HM fails on the lyrics, but not in the production, I mean, it sounds more "clear", more natural, idk, I mean, that's all my opinion, I do like the trip-hop beats, the baroque pop influence and even the jazzy/noir atmosphere in some songs.

okay i know opinions are different but how does hm sound more clear? MDM had obvious strong effects on her voice but the rest sounds crispy clear it's always so nice to listen to her voice with good equalising, compression and dehisser. However HM is full of excessive overdrive, the compression and dehisser are done so badly (0:04 MTWBT always comes to my mind) the vocal production just isn't good from a technical point of view.

Reverb and other effects do no harm if they're used as effects and not the default vocal mastering of the record.

throwback tuesday to the meltdowns when we heard cola. everytime i listen to the song i remember that someone on here said how it's sounds as if she's recorded it in her bathroom.  

i76mrxw.png 

Lana's almost 32, so expect something lyrically and sonically mature. She was like 24 when she started writing 'Born to Die', and that's probably a big factor as to why it was more upbeat and had playful, seductive lyrics. She flat out stated the new album would be sort of in the same aesthetic as 'Honeymoon'. I'm hoping for something fresh though. Honeymoon was predictable and underexaggerated. Imagine something like her unreleased song "Greenwich".

okay i know opinions are different but how does hm sound more clear? MDM had obvious strong effects on her voice but the rest sounds crispy clear it's always so nice to listen to her voice with good equalising, compression and dehisser. However HM is full of excessive overdrive, the compression and dehisser are done so badly (0:04 MTWBT always comes to my mind) the vocal production just isn't good from a technical point of view.

Reverb and other effects do no harm if they're used as effects and not the default vocal mastering of the record.

throwback tuesday to the meltdowns when we heard cola. everytime i listen to the song i remember that someone on here said how it's sounds as if she's recorded it in her bathroom.  

i don't understand what you mean when you say it sounds like it was recorded in her bathroom? cola is like one of my favorite songs by her vocally. is there a particular time in the song you could point to that i might get what you mean? (your mtwbt example was helpful)

tumblr_oz83mp1hxO1wc2gv3o1_500.png

i don't understand what you mean when you say it sounds like it was recorded in her bathroom? cola is like one of my favorite songs by her vocally. is there a particular time in the song you could point to that i might get what you mean? (your mtwbt example was helpful)

Oh my god now I can't I hear that bathroom thing. It's true. It's like she recorded the song in a hollow room or cave. If we had the acapella of the song there would be alotttt of echo

Lana's almost 32, so expect something lyrically and sonically mature. She was like 24 when she started writing 'Born to Die', and that's probably a big factor as to why it was more upbeat and had playful, seductive lyrics. She flat out stated the new album would be sort of in the same aesthetic as 'Honeymoon'. I'm hoping for something fresh though. Honeymoon was predictable and underexaggerated. Imagine something like her unreleased song "Greenwich".

Age is just a number darlin' 

After all she just delivered some of her most sexual lyrics in the one minute and 55 second masterpiece that is Stargirl. I do feel like she still has a large amount of spark in her and I hope she's exploring around with her lyrics again now that she seems to have more muse than she did with Honeymoon. I also do feel like Abel is really helping her loosen up more. And she is determined to make up for last era...  :teehee:

Age is just a number darlin'

After all she just delivered some of her most sexual lyrics in the one minute and 55 second masterpiece that is Stargirl. I do feel like she still has a large amount of spark in her and I hope she's exploring around with her lyrics again now that she seems to have more muse than she did with Honeymoon. I also do feel like Abel is really helping her loosen up more. And she is determined to make up for last era... :teehee:

True! It's almost like she's scared to bring back her upbeat party girl blonde self again. Like her pre-2012 unreleased bops. Even though she listens to many genres of music, she seems to only allows her discography to be downbeat, dreary with classic vibes. I love that, just I know she's more than that. Excited to see what 2017 brings. xx

Hi everyone,

The previous LDR5 Thread as well as the YAIL Thread have been removed. I had a talk with the mods, and we have decided to open a new thread. Please know that this thread will be very heavily moderated and we will not be taking things lightly this time. I feel as if I gave you all a little too much leniency last time, just because I love you all so much and felt guilty with giving out warning points. Things have to change now though (don't worry, I still love you all just as much.) Warning points & bans will be given out more frequently when needed. Again, as I said before, nothing is to be leaked on LanaBoards. Please refrain from posting any snippets, images, or information that may negatively impact Lana's upcoming project. Lana's team is now involved. We have to be respectful of this project.

So, before posting, please think twice about what you are going to say. We are taking things very seriously, even if a post was meant as a "joke." There are a lot of eyes on everyone right now. Be mindful.

Lots of love everyone. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is what we know so far (taken from previous thread):

LDR5

-Lana Del Rey for NME Magazine (December 2015)

2qbhoc82.jpg & 2qbhoc8.jpg

- In February 2016, Lana was interviewed in Pre-GRAMMY Gala Red Carpet.

Are you gonna drop another album anytime soon and surprise everyone?

"I don't think it will be a surprise when I'll do it but... you know... I will soon... I'm working on stuff I love."

Is it in a different direction from the last time?

"Yeah... but I don't know if you'd really know 'cause it has more to do with just like...I don't know... a clarity of inner dialogue that I feel is coming through better."

How about music?

"It's kinda in the same aesthetic."

- In July 2016, a music video was reportedly shot; Kasia Szarek as the casting director.

tumblr_o9dma2LMhj1t3ntjro1_1280.jpg

She was in studio with Justin Parker in November 2015 

tumblr_nxafqmq7js1uv3tpwo1_1280.jpg

- Via Ben Mawson in March 2016.

AMq0ba1.png

- Shared by Lana (on her @Honeymoon account) in March 2016"I can't tell if my managers like it, but I know they're on crack.".

EficT6z.jpg

- Shared by Lana in March 2016.

RDkxoLy.jpg

Lana's leaving a recording studio located in Santa Monica. (August 21st, 2016).

Lana+Del+Rey+Heads+Music+Studio+Santa+MoLana+Del+Rey+Lana+Del+Rey+Out+Santa+Moni

- She has hung out several times with "Born to Die" producer Emile Haynie and Father John Misty's collaborator Jonathan Wilson 

tumblr_o6h008Masb1ugdubbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_o6jvixEN8a1v3mfrto1_500.jpg

tumblr_o50p11swsv1ugdubbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_o6nn1tcGec1r9ih9zo3_1280.jpg

- Beautiful People (recorded in 2015 with Justin Parker) [Registered, possibly not for this album]

- Wild One (recorded in 2015 with Justin Parker) [Registered, possibly not for this album]

- Demos produced by Rick Nowels

- Lana presumably shot another video on October 28, 2016.

Chuck posted a video to Snapchat where she is posing with a girl that wears the same make-up. You can hear Lana speaking in the background and she mentions the word "video" 

http://instagram.fss...844476416_n.mp4

Also, Ben Mawson (her manager) posted a photo with Johnny Blue Eyes (her stylist) 

https://www.instagra.../p/BMIMPDLgrIM/

YOUNG AND IN LOVE 

- Young and in Love is probably the lead single

- Young and in Love is co-written by Rick Nowels, Benny Blanco and Emile Haynie

- Recorded possibly in the spring of 2016

-Registered in 2017:

ABrGcI6.png

wait what do you mean with "lana's team is now involved"?

giphy.gif

Tbh I think honeymoon was really beautiful, but I wish there was more rise and fall, like parts where the music swelled and it allowed the words to have more impact. Also, after hearing what someone wrote about how her choruses have gotten less complex I can't stop comparing-- I hope even if it's in the same aesthetic she takes some time to flesh out her choruses and allows those to have meaning as well as the verses.