Elle

LDR5 Pre-Pre-Release Thread - Take 2

I really love both BTD and Paradise, but let's be 0honest, It's just a album used to introduce her to the media and all that stuff. It's her most commercial album

I actually think Paradise is less commercial friendly than BTD, since it's more stripped back, slower and it leaves behind the hip-hop-inspired beats.

But yeah, all in all the two of them are meant to be appreciated by a wider audience.

The most commercial doesn't mean it's worse than HM, because it isn't. 

Ppl on here really need to stop bashing BTD for no reason. First of all, without it none of you would be here and secondly, it doesn't send you in a coma like HM did. BTD is a classic and rightfully so. HM is just there for the sake of just being out.

But why bashing HM too?

It's not sending anyone to coma, trust me.

Every album has its own cons but stop comparing them and bashing others to glorify your own favorite album. (directed to anyone on this forum.)

giphy.gif

Ppl on here really need to stop bashing BTD for no reason. First of all, without it none of you would be here and secondly, it doesn't send you in a coma like HM did. BTD is a classic and rightfully so. HM is just there for the sake of just being out.

As I've said, I really do  love btd, and it's a really important album to me. But honeymoon is amazing (I mean, UV is her best, then comes Honeymoon and AKA) and I think it's waaaay better than BTD, I mean, Lana had more control in the whole project, idk, it feels more "natural" to me. I do like btd, but I think it's just an album to introduce Lana to the media and all that stuff

Personally I love HM, but I agree with everything you said about BTD. Yes its more commercial but that doesn't mean its a bad album, also Lana is not that commercial even with her most commercial album so ya'll can stop acting like she would release her Prism album.

qsVmBMd.png

But why bashing HM too?

It's not sending anyone to coma, trust me.

Every album has its own cons but stop comparing them and bashing others to glorify your own favorite album. (directed to anyone on this forum.)

Well, we are a discussion forum and we can say when we dislike something. 

I srsly hope she would have a return to form in terms of songwriting like on BTD which was miles better and more inspired and filled with life than on HM. I also really hope she is still capable of making choruses that she is nailing and where just doesn't repeat the title over and over. And yes, i still hope she has a bridge in her like on Blue Jeans.

I hope for better writing and a lil bit more excited delivery and overall more drive. She is in her early 30's, not in her 60's. 

TBH I guess Paradise and Honeymoon are the kind of sound Lana wants the most.

BTD was heavily influenced by the vision of the label/producers and writers chosen by the label; just compare the extensive set of demos we possess.

While UV wasn't actually planned this way in its conception; again, the untouchable 5 are comparable to Paradise.

Furthermore, supposedly we're getting some of this style in LDR5.

Her albums can't be compared imo - they all have different objectives and moods. None of them are trying to achieve the same thing as the other - born to die didn't have the same idea as ultraviolence, honeymoon didn't have the same idea as paradise, and so on.

Trying to compare her albums does discredit to all of them, because it just means you don't understand them enough to consider that they are so different. Honeymoon is layered under thousands of waves of easygoing haze - just because it's laidback, does that make it boring? If you compare it to BTD tempos and instrumentation, then maybe - but then that defeats the original idea of Honeymoon.

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

Well, we are a discussion forum and we can say when we dislike something. 

I srsly hope she would have a return to form in terms of songwriting like on BTD which was miles better and more inspired and filled with life than on HM. I also really hope she is still capable of making choruses that she is nailing and where just doesn't repeat the title over and over. And yes, i still hope she has a bridge in her like on Blue Jeans.

I hope for better writing and a lil bit more excited delivery and overall more drive. She is in her early 30's, not in her 60's. 

I agree with you! BTD have some beautiful lyrics, while Honeymoon is kinda repetitive  

I think that only a few artists can make political pop songs without looking like a commercial trick, you know? If she goes to something more alternative, it may sound more genuine. And I think that ppl want her to do a lot of pop music bc it's easy to sell. I don't think that Lana wants to be known as a commercial artist with no depth or something like this.

I agree. Also it's a bit stupid but I think you can't really make political music in what's considered "mainstream pop", like for my presentation I saw that what describes music as pop is generally the subject of love and romance, the technical writing and the fact that it has dance as a purpose. You can always sing whatever you want on a song but it has an influence to the public you reach and want to reach. So I think that when pop artists, it automatically gets alternative, as you're saying; people take you more seriously if you're in the right genre, basically? Even though I never cared about genres, I love what I love, but in the case of music destined to be sold at the biggest possible scale, it's very important. Maybe it's time to reconsider if she's really pop then, because if her or her label still pretend she's pop (and I don't think at all she does), then maybe it can explain the sales or the critics reactions. 

IDK, P!nk for example is definitely a mainstream artist who makes pop/pop-rock music, yet she has songs like My Vietnam, I Have Seen The Rain and of course Dear Mr. President, which was a huge radio hit and a commercial success in Europe and Australia.

This!

Just because something is more pop/radio-friendly doesn't automatically mean it's bad. If anything, Born To Die's 7M sales prove how good it is and how many people liked it.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

What I am basically trying to say is that BTD and even UV transported me with the lyrics somewhere else. I could close my eyes and see the setting of the song right in front of me. While UV also kinda lacked when it comes to choruses, it had really well-written verses (mostly) and the production was awesome.

With HM it just all fell apart. Barely anything striked me. There were good songs on it for sure, but there was also too much filler. 

IDK, P!nk for example is definitely a mainstream artist who makes pop/pop-rock music, yet she has songs like My Vietnam, I Have Seen The Rain and of course Dear Mr. President, which was a huge radio hit and a commercial success in Europe and Australia.

This!

Just because something is more pop/radio-friendly doesn't automatically mean it's bad. If anything, Born To Die's 7M sales prove how good it is and how many people liked it.

I think that P!nk is one of those few artist who can do this! But, I mean, you can't say that a album is good bc it sold 7M copies, if we assume that the numbers of sales represents the quality of the album, then Justin Bieber must be a music genius.

I really like metacritic bc they use the most diverse critics to make an average score. http://www.metacritic.com/person/lana-del-rey

I think that P!nk is one of those few artist who can do this! But, I mean, you can't say that a album is good bc it sold 7M copies, if we assume the number of sales represents the quality of the album, then Justin Bieber must be a music genius

You're right. I actually just said that to point out how some people argue "Born To Die sold 7M and had some successful singles -> many people enjoyed it -> it's commercial and mainstream -> it's bad", which of course is BS, as there is no correlation between quality and sales.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

as far as songrwiting is concerned

Born to Die + Paradise > Ultraviolence > AKA & Honeymoon

as far as music is concerned

Ultraviolence > Born to Die + Paradise > AKA & Honeymoon

Honeymoon probably has some of  the weakest lyrical content from Lana *save for a couple of songs*

as far as songrwiting is concerned

Born to Die + Paradise > Ultraviolence > AKA & Honeymoon

as far as music is concerned

Ultraviolence > Born to Die + Paradise > AKA & Honeymoon

IMO, as far as music is concerned:

Ultraviolence > Honeymoon and AKA > Born to Die> Paradise

for me, who's not a big fan of HM. i still think that HM is not just an album that's just released for no reason.

i always think that HM is Lana trying to do a very intimate project with a few people only, and trying to maintain high control on the music production process, that's why she co-produced the entire album and only had two other people to make this album. 

and this is the album showing that her theme might evolve a little bit, to a more complex character. a more independent woman who can take control and live her life free

giphy.gif

For me Honeymoon is the worst lana´s album, not just lyrics, the songs are the most monotenous IMO, not saying is bad, I enjoyed it , but I enjoyed even more every other album  :P