NamiraWilhelm

What Are You Reading?

2 hours ago, ttulsa said:

omg I love kristin hannah's books night road and the great alone

tbh she has some bad books too 😅angel falls, home again, fly away

I read the nightingale a while ago and it was a fun read and like I literally cried at the end

If you liked nightingale, I think you might like the great alone (:

it's on my TBR! i'm excited to read that one and the women!

~INSTA1.gif

currently reading anna karenina :legend:i absolutely love it so far and haven’t been able to put it down even though the characters are frustrating. this will be the longest book i’ve ever read & i’m excited for that !! 

“There seemed to be nothing striking in her dress or attitude, but it was as easy for Levin to recognize her in that crowd as to find a rose among nettles. Everything was lit up by her. She was the smile that brightened everything around.” ♡ 

“He stepped down, avoiding any long look at her as one avoids long looks at the sun, but seeing her as one sees the sun, without looking.”  

:heart:

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

On 4/29/2024 at 7:23 PM, cherrytropico said:

currently reading anna karenina :legend:i absolutely love it so far and haven’t been able to put it down even though the characters are frustrating. this will be the longest book i’ve ever read & i’m excited for that !! 

“There seemed to be nothing striking in her dress or attitude, but it was as easy for Levin to recognize her in that crowd as to find a rose among nettles. Everything was lit up by her. She was the smile that brightened everything around.” ♡ 

“He stepped down, avoiding any long look at her as one avoids long looks at the sun, but seeing her as one sees the sun, without looking.”  

:heart:

Did you finish it yet? I first started reading Anna Karenina years ago (not even sure when!) but moved house and left the book at home. I just picked it back up again and finally finished it this time. Such a great story and characters (although I do have some gripes with it)!

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

47 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

Did you finish it yet? I first started reading Anna Karenina years ago (not even sure when!) but moved house and left the book at home. I just picked it back up again and finally finished it this time. Such a great story and characters (although I do have some gripes with it)!

unfortunately i haven’t finished it and haven’t had much time to read it :(( i’ll try to finish it by the end of june 

i already have some gripes with it too lol because i know how the story ends and it’s frustrating 

Spoiler

kitty rejecting levin because she thinks vronsky will propose but then he’s actually into anna so kitty didn’t have to break kevin’s heart and ignore her own feelings about him…a mess! plus in the end anna will commit suicide due to society’s judgements 😭 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

Nick Drake: The Life by Richard Morton Jack -  at 560 pages, much too detailed and not interestingly told. Biography is my favorite genre; this is the first time I've ever found a biography too weighted by superfluous detail. Not recommended unless your a diehard Drake fan. 

Rudolph Steiner by Gary Lachman - Another disappointing biography and overview, and I usually like all of Lachman's books. I'm halfway through and I still have no idea what was important or distinguished about Steiner. Not recommended. 

The Devil & His Advocates by Erik Butler - This is a fascinating history and lowdown on 'the satan' in the Bible, who is originally working for God and more of a lawyer than a foe or enemy, (or the Enemy). The book explores how 'the satan' became Satan (and Lucifer, etc.) due to the Book of Revelations and the influence of various Middle Age sources, including Dante's Inferno and Chaucer, and how Hell, Purgatory, etc. are not found in the Bible but were essentially products of later centuries. Not an academic book, it's intelligent and stimulating. Recommended. 

A Mystery of Mysteries: The Death & Life of Edgar Allan Poe by Mark Dawidziak - Not quite a biography, the book focuses on the mystery of what actually caused Poe's relatively early death--Rabies? Alcoholism? A 'brain fever'? Murder? A brain tumor? Syphilis? Heart disease?--or any of the other theories that have been put forward over the decades. It goes back and forth in time with each chapter, from the time of his death to his childhood and onward, which occasionally gets a little confusing. I'm enjoying it. Recommended. 

H.D. [Hilda Doolittle] by Lara Vetter - A book in the Critical Lives series, this is an overview of Doolittle's life; there have been several large biographies of her in the past, and I was hoping for some new information, but there's little here that readers of the previous biographies won't have come upon before. Vetter also adds interpretation and opinion, which is the best part of the book. If you like H.D.'s work and would like to know more about her life, this is not a bad place to start, as it's a concise 207 pages. Recommended for people newly interested in H.D. who haven't read the other two (or more) biographies written about her. 

I recently finished Shuggie Bain and The Catcher in the Rye. Loved both, but Catcher in the Rye must be my favourite book I’ve ever read. So relatable

I’m currently reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. I started it last year, got like 80 pages in and then forgot about it until now. I like it, but I do struggle to understand old timey english sometimes :facepalm: 

After Rye and before Dorian I started to try and read Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. I just couldn’t get into it 

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

currently reading the goldfinch by donna tartt 🪶 about halfway through now and WOW this book is destroying me mentally :,)

even though it’s close to 800 pages long,  it still feels surprisingly pacy, and i much prefer it to the secret history- personally that book felt far too dreary and monotonous to me, plus the narrator was too pretentiously worded for my liking. it probably didn’t help that i was constantly stop/starting it… but anyway my point is that i much prefer theo’s world. panicking about the status of the painting now though 

Lord of the flies by some fucking weird man

i have to read it for school I’m barely half way through I’m so done. I would love to know why this man is so praised for this he talks about gay pre pubescent boys and talks about steamy shit that has nothing to do with what I’m studying  

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King… it’s already the 4th time that i read this book and i’m so in love with it, like idk

Afternoon and you’re out for a break

by the shoreby the blue wall

Roller coasters and a Coca-Cola

Honey, I would hate to see you go…