Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

I'm really not sure of what i think about this snippet, but this era is damn confusing.

The Lana part sounds so strange (Exactly like MTWBTo sounded so wierd on the HM teaser), so it can be a good thing, and I LOVED the previous Asap collab.
Is there 3 rappers in the song ?

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

I love the new video Lana has posted on her instagram. Her voice in that snippet is so beautiful. I am truly happy to see that she's kinda changing her sound, like she's still giving us those old retro vibes while she's also collaborating with modern artists, artists she really likes. Lust for Life is coming to set our wigs on fire. But it's kinda annoying that some people (including fans and stans) are praying for the old Lana to come back. Like, why can't you just appreciate the music she's giving us right now instead of bitching about it? It's definitely not going to be good for Lana since she literally worked her ass off for two years long to make this record and create music videos. Like, if you hate Lust for Life so much, just fucking listen to Born to Die then and let us enjoy Lust for Life with Lana. She made this record for the fans, not fake bitches. Also, if you can't handle the fact people change, and want to do different things then you want them to do, I have some bad news for you, hunty.

I love the new video Lana has posted on her instagram. Her voice in that snippet is so beautiful. I am truly happy to see that she's kinda changing her sound, like she's still giving us those old retro vibes while she's also collaborating with modern artists, artists she really likes. Lust for Life is coming to set our wigs on fire. But it's kinda annoying that some people (including fans and stans) are praying for the old Lana to come back. Like, why can't you just appreciate the music she's giving us right now instead of bitching about it? It's definitely not going to be good for Lana since she literally worked her ass off for two years long to make this record and create music videos. Like, if you hate Lust for Life so much, just fucking listen to Born to Die then and let us enjoy Lust for Life with Lana. She made this record for the fans, not fake bitches. Also, if you can't handle the fact people change, and want to do different things then you want them to do, I have some bad news for you, hunty.

While I also appreciate it when artists evolve and try new things, people are allowed to feel how they feel about a different direction an artist is taking. Obviously we all love the old Lana, or else we wouldn't be here. Some people are gonna be flexible and like the new things she's doing, and some people won't. And that's fine. None of us should be so bothered by whether or not fellow fans like Lana for all the same reasons we do. 

photo.jpglanadelrey-1jpg.jpgphoto.jpg

Unapologetic by Rihanna was so critically acclaimed by fans, the gp, and critics. its extremely diverse. Hip Hop, rap, piano ballads, pop, edm, raggae, disco, etc.

idk why y'all think this much diversity is wrong. critics and the gp rip her because they say all her songs sound the same and now that she's switching it up its bad?

can't please anybody

Rihanna is not Lana Del Rey.

I love Lana but...she cannot convincingly pull off the wide array of genres that Rihanna has (not just on that album but in her entire discography). That is not Lana's ministry. Lana can do a lot of genres, but not to that degree. Definitely not trap.

For me, it's not that diversity is wrong. It's that Lana has no synergy with trap music, contrary to the opinion of the gays on this board who think everything involving a TR-808 drum machine is trap. And I love that the same people who fell in love with Cherry bc of the IG videos are the same people saying that it's great AND that we can't judge based off of it.

I don't want Lana to come off like Katy Perry, slapping random popular rappers who don't even mesh with her sound on records just because she can. And I DEFINITELY don't want Lana to turn into Miley Cyrus (and I mean that both musically and socially).

I love rap music. It's what I listen to the most. And I know Lana has incorporated rap elements before. But there are at least two main concerns I have with her doing this, and both should be obvious.

giphy.gif

Unapologetic by Rihanna was so critically acclaimed by fans, the gp, and critics. its extremely diverse. Hip Hop, rap, piano ballads, pop, edm, raggae, disco, etc.

idk why y'all think this much diversity is wrong. critics and the gp rip her because they say all her songs sound the same and now that she's switching it up its bad?

can't please anybody

Unapologetic was like really panned though

Hon... So glad you're that optimistic,

but let everybody express their opinions. Especially because this album is 'dedicated for the fans', so if some fans don't like it, it seems logical to talk about it.

And don't say that, if they don't like the era, they are fake bishes. They're just objective and smart with their thoughts. An artist work isn't made just to be adored and congratulated, it's also made to be questioned and challenged. Lana's new album is something we're all waiting here, it's normal that some of us are disapointed, and imagine a thread where everybody is satisfied and agreed, so wierd. Be more tolerent.

+ Musically, nothing is retro in this LfL era.

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

I, for one, can't really make enough out of that clip yet to make an opinion, with the ~10 times I've listened it so far. It'll be interesting to see how the full track turns out, and I think it's kinda sweet how she's making these collaborations with her good friends like Abel and A$AP. Although I have my own minimalistic concerns of this record becoming a "Lana Del Rey and friends" record, we already have almost half the tracklist and there's no way the rest will all be collaborations - and if there's a chance of it actually being the case, I'm just gonna keep my cool and stay optimistic at least till I hear them.

Thought we were getting a retro-futuristic record, then thought we were getting a thematically witch-y record.... then I thought we were getting a politically aware flower child record with Sean Lennon and Stevie Nicks.... then I thought we were getting a "beatsy acoustic" record.... and now.... now, my friends, I don't know what the hell we are getting but regardless I know the good sis will deliver and snatch my weave when July 21 comes

tenor.gif

Rihanna is not Lana Del Rey.

I love Lana but...she cannot convincingly pull off the wide array of genres that Rihanna has (not just on that album but in her entire discography). That is not Lana's ministry. Lana can do a lot of genres, but not to that degree. Definitely not trap.

For me, it's not that diversity is wrong. It's that Lana has no synergy with trap music, contrary to the opinion of the gays on this board who think everything involving a TR-808 drum machine is trap. And I love that the same people who fell in love with Cherry bc of the IG videos are the same people saying that it's great AND that we can't judge based off of it.

I don't want Lana to come off like Katy Perry, slapping random popular rappers who don't even mesh with her sound on records just because she can. And I DEFINITELY don't want Lana to turn into Miley Cyrus (and I mean that both musically and socially).

I love rap music. It's what I listen to the most. And I know Lana has incorporated rap elements before. But there are at least two main concerns I have with her doing this, and both should be obvious.

Yup. This whole post. Katy and Miley are embarrassing and offensive in more ways than one and it is not a model Lana should be looking at for anything. Not that I think she necessarily is, but it's not impossible that this effort will ring similarly hollow. BAR is great. L4L is cute Love is painfully boring, but it is what it is. Coachella is trash. None of those tracks indicate any real direction though, so I can't even gauge what any of these snippets are pointing towards.

tZ7WN4B.gif

since nobody wants to say it on the actual page happy 1200!!  :hooker:  :hooker:  :hooker:

jpeg&output-quality=75

This was good news to wake up to! I was always hoping for an official Lana and ASAP collab, so needless to say I'm much more excited for this album. The snippet sounds a little overwhelming (with the layering of vocals), but I still love it, and I guess I can't properly judge the song from a small snippet  :)  And at least it's not G-Eazy, thank the lord..

I love it how y'all are so worried about collabs with established, talented artists like Sean Lennon or A$AP ROCKY while hyping her work with the generic trashcan that is the Weeknd.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

i just found out that her team made the Lust for Life audio private.... :toofunny: (like what's the point of hiding a 25M views video)

and surprisingly, her youtube homepage still shows the audio instead of the video...  :toofunny: (like if u want to boost the views for the video, shouldnt it be on the homepage?!)

everything is so contradicting... i cant  :lmao:

Has 18 tracks been confirmed? Link?

"She admits it's a "really long record" and says she "couldn't leave anything out". It's currently 18 tracks long."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40073561/lana-del-rey-on-her-new-album-im-in-a-good-mood

giphy.gif

Yup. This whole post. Katy and Miley are embarrassing and offensive in more ways than one and it is not a model Lana should be looking at for anything. Not that I think she necessarily is, but it's not impossible that this effort will ring similarly hollow. BAR is great. L4L is cute Love is painfully boring, but it is what it is. Coachella is trash. None of those tracks indicate any real direction though, so I can't even gauge what any of these snippets are pointing towards.

As others have stated, the difference is that Lana has been inspired by and a fan of hip-hop from the beginning. She has long spoken about her love for Eminem and 90s rap. She grew up in the golden era of rap, too, and maybe that's why I let her slide in ways that I don't Katy or Miley, who obviously try to capitalize off of black culture and cast it aside on a whim. Lana seems to love it, and I think her image lends itself to it to an extent. Her entire persona relies heavily on superficial opulence but also pain, which I think is the DNA of many rap songs as well.

My only issue is my memory of her skirting over a question regarding Black Lives Matter. I think any artist, especially white artists, who enjoy the culture as much as she and others do owe the black male rappers with whom they collaborate some semblance of political support when their lives are on the line. Same with her penchant for using Latino cultural elements... But our girl has never been one to align herself with any movement, which I'd probably prefer...She's too busy looking at planets and SpaceX shit with Elon Must.