Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

i love how she continues to use the "(shut up, shut up) or <shudop shudop>" in both Lust for Life and Get Free.

the connections between songs are so great. like she talks about "something real" in 13 Beaches and talks about "real love" in Cherry, and she wants to change in Heroin and has a song called Change after it.  :flutter:

giphy.gif

So I've been had a few thoughts about this album since I first listened to it in full, but decided to let them stew a little in case any other points came to me, and basically I have a feeling that Lana has been getting professional help from some sort of psychologist, counsellor or therapist and was possibly diagnosed with clinical depression and is now on medication. I know others in the past have speculated about her mental health and it has often been quite unhelpful and actually accusatory of Lana as fuelling her own sadness, when in reality she has probably had a serious mental health condition that she wasn't aware she could treat, or perhaps she was aware but didn't seek treatment.

She has said that she saw a therapist three times before but found it quite unsuccessful.

99brWDw.png

DyJsyVN.png

b5QxIhN.png

Quite clearly she has had mental health issues in the past (admitting so herself), likely a combination of anxiety and depression, perhaps related to her past substance abuse with drugs and alcohol, that she has openly spoken about.

In "Lust for Life", there are a lot of lyrical allusions to this theme, in my opinion, that I wanted to discuss.

What first struck me was the song "Heroin", in particular, the following lyrics:

"I'm flying to the moon again, dreaming about marzipan

Taking all my medicine to take my thoughts away"

I think she's being quite explicit here, in that she is clearly taking some sort of medication that is having an effect on her mindset. A common treatment for anxiety or depressive disorders is obviously through anti-depressant or other similar medications. One could argue that this medicine could be for anything, but I say that because she says it "takes [her] thoughts away" it's clear to me it's not to address any physical/bodily issue, but a psychological one related to mental health.

In the outro of Heroin she sings about wanting to make a change for the better, that there's something that "makes [her] head go crazy" and she'd "be lying if [she] said she wasn't sick of it". To me, this is Lana saying that she is willing to admit she has had many problems in the past. And if we look at "Get Free", she seems to admit that she really only has herself to blame for many of these problems.

"Like my part was I was not discerning

And you, as we found out, were not in your right mind"

Clearly she's had a difficult time discerning when she's in toxic situations/relationships with people not in their "right mind" but is finally coming to acknowledge that and try to make amends to that. It makes sense if you think about what she's said in interviews recently, about trying to finally move on from toxic relationships and take care of herself first and foremost, rather than unhealthy and unhelpful people.

When she sings of taking "the dead out of the sea and the darkness from the arts", and wanting to "move out of the black and into the blue", to me, this is her acknowledging she's been severely depressed and is finally ready to "cross the threshold" and make a step towards taking care of herself properly. She also wants this to be translated to her music and art as well, believing she can help others out there. Her "commitment", her "modern manifesto" is to gradually work on changing her mindset and sharing that with "all of us who never got the chance", "for... [insert name] and for... [insert name]". 

The chorus of "Get Free" supports this whole idea as well. She feels as if she's "got a war in [her] mind" (as alluded to in "Ride"), but finally admits she "want to get off" from "riding the ride"; a ride that has ultimately worsened her way of thinking.

And these lyrics are also really important as well...

"I never really noticed that I had to decide

To play someone's game or live my own life

But now I do, I wanna move"

She is finally ready to take control of her life and get her life back together. Also, as a side note, when she sings of rainbows in the second verse, I have this weird idea that she could be thinking back to when she frequently used hallucinogenic drugs in the past, like going on a trip and seeing a wide array of colours, but they're not real, "their arches are illusions" and they "put you in a trance" (a literal, drug-induced trance). The way she sings about drug use on "Heroin" and that line about wanting to "get that cigarette smoke outta my face" on "In My Feelings" seems to me that she is becoming more aware of the harmful impact drugs have had on her life, and she's trying to move away from that. We saw this idea surface on Honeymoon, in "Religion", where she says "it never was about the money or the drugs", relegating them to something insignificant and a waste.

Heck, even the official iTunes description for "Lust for Life" talks of how in "Get Free" she "makes a vow to shift her mindset".

HzqO9NB.png

Now, I could be wrong about her having depression (although, I wouldn't say it's that far-fetched considering the highly melancholic tone in most of her work and her admitting she has had to see a therapist before, multiple times as well), but I think that for sure Lana is trying to grow and become the best person she can be through personal commitments to developing her character and living her life healthily. That's why she sings on "Change" about hoping that "by the time summer is done, [she'll] be able to be honest, capable" and so on.

Anyway, excuse the Graham4everything length essay... I hope this wasn't a completely incoherent ramble but rather gives a little bit of an insight into my interpretation and understanding of Lust for Life. I genuinely think that Lana is on a path towards complete self-recovery from toxic relationships, a totally negative mindset and the wild, drug-addicted days of her past.

Abel is the only one who actually adds something to his song. The rest of the collab songs would be better solo.

Who would've thought so many bad opinions would be posted tonight

tenor.gif

i love how she continues to use the "(shut up, shut up)" in both Lust for Life and Get Free.

the connections between songs are so great. like she talks about "something real" in 13 Beaches and talks about "real love" in Cherry, and she wants to change in Heroin and has a song called Change after it.  :flutter:

Y'all sure it's shut up? And not vintage adlibs/ a la doowop? "shudop shudop" not "Shut up. Shut Up." 

Especially since Get Free is the most 'Shangri la' song we have on Lust For Life; in addition to LfL which was said to have gone through a Shangri- la feeling, even to the point of sampling the motorcycle sound from Leader Of the Pack. And who's not to say those were the 2 songs written around Honeymoon, and she had this whole idea of sticking truer than true this time to the vintage feeling? 

at the very least the connection is still there; I just don't see it in the way some y'all do

ALSO if you wanna talk about consistency from songs the one between Groupie Love and God Bless America is strongg and kinda sweet

Rockies verse mentions him singing to a fir-escape, city girl but grew up in the tri-state

GBA: I hear the sweetest melodies (sweetest melodies)

On the fire escapes of the city

Your logic is so flawed lol. I probably hate having him being on the record as much as you do but he does add some light to the song, it might be the worst collab there but doesn't mean its a bad track.

Also, I'd suggest you stop hoping for ldr6 if you were unhappy with LFL. This has been her best work

It's called taste. Stop acting as if those are facts when they are individual felings.

You may like LFL as a track, I do not and I probably would not even like it if it wasn't for the Weeknd. I'm not a fan of Coachella but I think it's better than LfL.

You may think LfL is her best album, I do not and I'm unsure whether 90% of people who say it is will actually feel like that after the excitement about the release has faded.

Also, I'd suggest you stop telling me what to do

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

It's called taste. Stop acting as if those are facts when they are individual felings.

You may like LFL as a track, I do not and I probably would not even like it if it wasn't for the Weeknd. I'm not a fan of Coachella but I think it's better than LfL.

You may think LfL is her best album, I do not and I'm unsure whether 90% of people who say it is will actually feel like that after the excitement about the release has faded.

Also, I'd suggest you stop telling me what to do

LOL wasn't even talking to you when I added also. That's why I indented. And facts? There's literally nothing factual about this, I'm just stating that you are reaching when it comes to Abel being on LFL

LOL wasn't even talking to you when I added also. That's why I indented. And facts? There's literally nothing factual about this, I'm just stating that you are reaching when it comes to Abel being on LFL

You talked like we were talking about facts considering "Your logic is flawed"

I'm not reaching, that's my opinion and I never shared the common opinion on Coachella anyway. It's not good but it's not as terrible as people make it seem. In my opinion at least.

I am mostly very pleased. I feel like if Coachella, GL, Change and WTWWAW were omitted, it would have been perfect. Coachella is just messy, GL is forgettable but might have made more sense at least as a filler if A$AP's verse wasn't there (I love him on SB), and the other two are simply filler for me, they evoke very little and I get impatient listening to them, especially WTWWAW which doesn't seem to have any melody or direction at all. I was also somewhat disappointed by BPBP, I feel like the chorus was weak and more than a little cheesy, even for Lana's more self-indulgent moments (don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to facilitate those lol), saved by the joint harmonies just before the second chorus (when they sing about a sugar rush), that moment is magical and I thinkcould have been exploited even more throughout the track particularly given the monotone nature of the chorus.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way, the high points.

13 Beaches and Get Free are STUNNING. I audibly gasped listening to them. I am transported every time I listen to them. The bridge of In My Feelings is possibly my favourite moment on the record, when she goes way high and is almost incomprehensible in what she's singing, she truly sounds as though she is getting lost in the act of singing, she is in total abandon. There is a reinvigorated sense of attitude on her part throughout all the record, even on the low points. She's rarely sounded this confident, and is in full swing. God Bless America and the second half of White Mustang sound like William Orbit productions, which is basically the sound I have always waned to hear from her, if she were to ever collab with him I would spontaneously combust. That breezy electronica infused with trip-hop just does things to me. TNC is gorgeous. Heroin is my least favourite of the high points simply because it is so monotone, and when you compare it with the experiments with ad-libbing and harmonising on her part throughout the rest of the record it just leaves me wanting more.

Overall, it's a really good album, not my favourite of hers, but there were parts that seem indicative of her next direction that I look forward to seeing being expanded. I want to see her do more with these old-style pop chord progressions. there is only one bad song on it, which is Coachella, the other three fillers are perfectly acceptable, I just wouldn't listen to or engage with them on any level near the others. I'd be more comprehensive with my review but it's less of a review than it is an initial reaction upon several listens.

On my second listen of the album. Just ripped the CD to my macbook and it sounds better playing from speakers cause you can't notice the vocal effects omg

Her best album BTW 266264531435651073.png

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Love and Lust For Life (and the album photoshoot) just seem like they are from a different record. They don't fit the rest of the album and they don't make good openers. It feels like a Spotify playlist that features the two most sucessful and commercial singers at the beginning. The rest of the album (which is already quite incoherent) feels so disconnected from those songs and the visuals from the Neil Krig shoot fit it much better

Love and Lust For Life (and the album photoshoot) just seem like they are from a different record. They don't fit the rest of the album and they don't make good openers. It feels like a Spotify playlist that features the two most sucessful and commercial singers at the beginning. The rest of the album (which is already quite incoherent) feels so disconnected from those songs and the visuals from the Neil Krig shoot fit it much better

I think it's because some of the production on the songs sound really janky and rushed last minute whereas Love/Lustforlife sound at least polished in production  :tsk:

d63yq15-3111241c-203c-4c68-b6a1-861d09a7

I think it's because some of the production on the songs sound really janky and rushed last minute whereas Love/Lustforlife sound at least polished in production :tsk:

I think Cherry - WTWWAWWKD and BPBP - Get Free feel like two pretty coherent parts, although they don't fit together. Love and LFL feel commercial and pop-ish and don't get along with the rest

I didn't expect that the duet with Stevie would be such a quiet song. Everytime I hear 'Get Free' I wish Stevie would start to sing along with Lana - it instantly reminded me of her and her music.

As to the rest I do agree with everyone who's said this is an amazing album, nothing to complain about from my side.

11+ / 10 points!!