Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Lol I didn't get that too when I first joined lanaboards but I guess it's because homosexuals are stereotyped as being very dramatic & sassy & everybody here on Lanaboards is the definition of being dramatic :hooker:

wow  :hide:  :hide:  :hide:

What would be really cool would be spoken word concerts aka Lana reading her words, her poetry with say just Byron on piano background

and spoken word albums (be it all of hers or new lyrics.)

Leonard Cohen of course was a poet prior to recording, and Jim Morrison (years after he died the remaining Doors later on set his poems to music)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Does anyone know why Lana stopped working with Anthony Mandler after Tropico? Some of her most cinematic & successful videos were done by him.

wow  :hide:  :hide:  :hide:

Well, that was my take on it but I might be wrong & there must be better answers.

What would be really cool would be spoken word concerts aka Lana reading her words, her poetry with say just Byron on piano background

and spoken word albums (be it all of hers or new lyrics.)

Leonard Cohen of course was a poet prior to recording, and Jim Morrison (years after he died the remaining Doors later on set his poems to music)

That would be nice but I doubt that would ever happen since a lot of people don't enjoy poetry anymore. I mean when I see footage of her live shows, I see teenagers screaming at the top of their lungs while she's singing. She's too pop for that indie shit now.

Since everyone is bashing I might as well vent the only song I'm disappointed in (apart from coachella obviously). I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't enjoy Heroin. Like I've listened to it a few times now and it just isn't clicking. Only the one song though so its all good, but still everyone loves it.

i didn't feel heroin when i was streaming lfl on deezer either it took me going to a fishing trip to realise that i loved it so much, anyway i understand  :agree:

@@Tragic Rabbit- never heard poetry being called indie. Last thing the Doors were was indie.  And Leonard Cohen wasn't indie either.

Leonard did Paul Simon's Homeward Bound as a poem in a benefit show honoring Paul Simon that he appeared on in 2009

You could hear a pin drop.

Screaming fans is why the Beatles stopped touring.(last live show was in San Francisco anniversary is 3 days away, August 29, 1966

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

How dare you! TNC is great. I was talking about the shit-became-a-pop-track-for-gay-tumblr-teens song LfL or the embarassing "Ol' McDonald Has A Farm" production on GBA.

I'M HOWLING  :thumb: 

The one without beeps is just edited off. The only real file of BAR is with beeps

BAR without the beeps seems... off. The beeps are a nice touch imo but is it intentional?

Coachella and God Bless America are equally bad. :toofunny:

Not equally bad but she should never do socially aware songs anymore  :judgingu3: (I really like WTWWAWWKD though only because of the verses and pre-chorus)

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

The one without beeps is just edited off. The only real file of BAR is with beeps

i'd believe this if the other BAR file also had the glitches that the original one has (at 3:52 and onwards for example). but it doesn't, and the quality difference is incredibly noticeable.

Cancer*

shes unique , shes a gemancer . she was born in the cusp of magic which is from 6/17-6/23 . Sensitive and affectionate Gemini-Cancer cuspers give and (and need to receive) a lot of love. They strive for it. So, without a special someone to love and care for they can easily become depressed. Gemini’s fun and flirtatious energy combines with Cancer’s calm and more thoughtful nature to create people who are both light and bright.

giphy.gif

Since I'm past the whole post-release bliss where everything is great, I can finally really think about the album in terms of quality.

The first half of the album is pretty good. It's pretty familiar because it's basically the same thing as all the last records. The songs aren't that long (compared to the second half) which makes it easier to binge listen.

Lust For Life and Love are the most underrated songs and Summer Bummer is so overrated it makes me cringe.

The weakest song for me is 13 Beaches in terms of lyrics. The melody is great though.

The secong half is kind of hard to list at first but it's pretty powerful. It's the consciousness of the second half that makes me really attracted to it. It's about someone seeing their sorroundings and finally realizing that even though we're all flawed we can change. And change is basically the main theme of the second half, which leads us tp the hole trinity of the record: Heroin/Change/Get Free.

WTWWAWWKD is a pretty great song but underrated as shit. God Bless America is kinda weird but in a cool way. Not even Stevie Nicks was able to save BPBP and Coachella and Tomorrow Never Came are the weakest songs of this half.

The album is generally is pretty good. Lana tried to continue doing what she was doing in the previous records which is giving the record a totally different sound from the previous ones to it and she did accomplish that in parts but it didn't work as fine as it did before. It felt kinda off to me, especially when listening to GBA and Summer Bummer.

I give it a 7.8

Fayyt7N.png

She literally still says "He hit me and it felt like a kiss" at live shows gorl wyd

I'm glad she's not censoring herself. Artist should never censor themselves for the sake of their public image. I hated it when she said in an interview that she tries not to use certain words & topics in her songs now that she's 'aware' of her impact on public.

I'm glad she's not censoring herself. Artist should never censor themselves for the sake of their public image. I hated it when she said in an interview that she tries not to use certain words & topics in her songs now that she's 'aware' of her impact on public.

I really hope she doesn't continue to censor herself. She shouldn't have to do that just to please everyone.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

love & lfl were so bad compared to the amazing videos we had years ago, wm pls be good

I loved all the videos in BTD+Paradise era (except Burning Desire).

I only like 'Ultraviolence' video from Ultraviolence era & 'High By the Beach' video from Honeymoon era. I don't like the rest.

None from Lust For Life yet. The aesthetics just didn't make me 'feel' anything.