Golden Hour

Camila Cabello

i really like the music video, unfortunately the song wasted its potential. verses and post chorus was good, i felt like the chorus was too repetitive and should’ve had other lyrics as well. playboi carti straight up botched the song, his part was useless and annoying. 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

i really like the verses but the chorus (especially the post chorus) sounds like a mess, the mixing is horrible, and the rap verse sucks he sounds like he's on anestesia or something... very weird song ((the music video slays tho

I'm super confused with her at the moment. Like I'm not sure this is 100% Camila and what really wants to do now and the rest of albums were just label imposed or she is trying way too fucking hard with this new one... I liked her albums, especially Romance, I'm quite intrigued with this so I will give it a listen. Hate the first single though, it's so annoying, kinda like the production but still a no for me.

I gave I Love It the benefit of the doubt on release and listened to it and hated it.

I will still give these other upcoming songs at least one listen chance as I do prefer Camilla actually trying to do something different with her image and music besides being "pop girl on the radio #59353".

A Lil Nas X feature seems promising to be honest.

4 hours ago, lanabanana11 said:

i am soooooo over this forced af internet hate for Camila. This era is fucking everything and I cannot wait for the album to drop!

But what has been “everything?”….haven’t we just had 1 single, which was a terrible song and flopped?

Has there been more songs?

No one’s intelligence should be insulted by pretending the negativity surrounding Camila is merely that her new lead single and sound isn’t being received well. It’s everything she does and it’s reaching look at that bitch eating those crackers like she owns the place territory.

It's true that a lot of it is the belief that her revamped sound and look is inauthentic, a perfectly fair criticism if that’s how you perceive it. I’ve never been a fan of her music and really dislike the way she blatantly ripped off the excellent art design for Caroline Polachek’s Pang. Given her notable plagiarism and lack of artistic identity, the collective eye rolling from Charli’s fanbase is understandable.

But the crux of the overwhelming negativity is the claim that she’s a racist due to her past use of the n word and the racist edgelord memes she reblogged as a teenager. Apparently she publicly apologised for this and completed a “racial healing course.”

What I find interesting is the hypocrisy I’ve observed among pop music fans. Let’s take Slayyyter as an example, a similar case where it was discovered her teenage self had used racial slurs on Twitter. She apologised, donated to black trans charities, and acknowledged that she’s matured a great deal in the years since her edgelord behaviour. Camila has shared similar sentiments. One is afforded the grace to learn and grow, while the other is forever defined by her teenage self. In Twitter, Reddit, and forum posts about Slayyyter’s new projects, you’d be hard pressed to find any mention of her past racism. Whereas Camila’s is bursting at the seams with reminders. A more extreme example is Azealia Banks. She's made (and continues to make) so many racist, homophobic, transphobic comments. Some truly heinous things, but a good number of these same people hand wave it away and continue to support her anyway.

I see a lot of Slayyyter fans ruthlessly going after Camila for her past behaviour — the brass balls on them to be so confident is incredible. The reality is we have no way of knowing if either of them are truly sorry for their past racism or if they’re just sorry because they were caught. Slayyyter’s fanbase believe her apology was sincere because they need to believe it was sincere if they want to continue enjoying her projects and supporting her publicly. You could argue that Slayyyter’s apology is presumed sincere because she donated to black charities, but do you actually believe that would make a difference if Camila did the same? I honestly don’t think it would. Past racism aside, Camila is generally unlikable and Slayyyter is pretty charming. It’s a lot easier to write someone off if you never liked them to begin with.

But you can't have it both ways -- either change and growth are possible or they're not. The idea that your character should be forever defined by the behaviour of your teenage self is a frightening notion, but if you genuinely believe that it should be if the context of that behaviour is racism, then it should apply to everyone, including the people you’re a fan of.