Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

There’s a chance that LFL wins a Grammy since it’s nominated and it contains a song that’s similar to theirs - of course they want a piece of the cake too. That’s probably why the won’t settle for anything lower than 100%.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

With all the press Get Free is getting..I wonder if she’s glad she took our “for Amy and for Whitney.”

There’d be so many articles about it too

I wonder if she regrets taking it out? I still don't understood why she took them out in the first place. It's very strange

it could be 1/16th of every penny the album makes, in any form if they ruled against her

tell me though, when will Lana sue all the people that have stolen her music over the years and she just doesn't care about it

Not quite sure why she picked today to do this, as this could directly affect the Grammy nomination as voting is still going on, as far as I know.

but there are suppose to be lawyers who go over every single thing at the record companies before it is released so this doesn't happen

and a song can be slightly changed before it is complete to avoid this

Some lawyer should be fired over this (and every lawsuit is a crap shoot, the judge or jury can do as they please and there really is no recourse.

The Led Zep lawsuit against the heirs of Randy California for instance showed something amazing there.

Now as to Scarborough Fair (parsley sage rosemary and tyme)...

the lineage of that song goes back to the 1600s and is mire in some controversy as to who should be given credit on it.

(though S&G put their names on it). 

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

The Albert Hammond who wrote w/Mike Hazelwood, "air that I breathe" that was a big hit by the Hollies, and sued Radiohead and won 

was the singer/songwriter of the hit song "It Never Rains in Southern California".

If Lana wanted to do irony, she should invite Albert on stage with her and do some sort of duet incorporating "It never rains in Southern California"  (Albert also wrote "99 miles from L.A. which Art Garfunkel had a hit with (symmetry isn't it?)

Albert btw is the father of Albert Jr who is in the Strokes. 

The lawsuit to think about is really the estate of Marvin Gaye vs. Pharrell and Robin Thicke, which the Marvin Gaye estate won.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I wonder if she regrets taking it out? I still don't understood why she took them out in the first place. It's very strange

I think she took it out because of all the bad press she got about glamorizing death. Although in the songs she’s obviously just paying tribute, but she was probably wary of the press taking it the wrong way and taking away from the message of the song.

I’m so so so glad she let us know though, it makes it such a special song

I don't understand what grounds are Radiohead calling for them to claim 100% of a song and refuse all settlement even though it means going to court. Because like other people said in this thread they don't have much going for them, they even got sued for the same song and lost. I understand that there's a similarity in the chord progression but I thought that Lana and her team being American (and from a major label) had it covered somehow. 

I know RH comes off bad and greedy in this narrative but I'm really not looking forward having hateful old men and prissy hipsters comment on lana videos, and I don't think Lana has taken it lightly. Even if RH gets a small percentage of credit they will benefit from the increase in stream and interest which is bothersome theoretically but what is worse they have managed to attach bitterness to a song that was about looking for an alternative to darkness and dared to be hopeful.