Elle

LDR6 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/LDRaddic/status/980434564643524609

Translation :

Director of 'Love', Rich Lee talks about ideas proposed by Lana for the video for 'Cherry': "she wanted a mad orgy with several witches and several men being sacrificed. Lana had an idea for a dark clip, based on German expressionism and Hollywood noir culture."

The record company embargoed because of the heavy content that could end up giving blacklash to her. "But she really wanted to make a transition from the happy girl to a dark girl again, after all I knew that she was preparing something along that path for the new album."

Yeah I'm also gonna call April Fools, but imagine the 'love' she's singing about is for the cults god and all this chaos is going on behind her and the bridge hits  :smokes2:  my inner edgelord teen self would burst forth, revived

tumblr_m11yve4noX1r1o1p8o1_500.jpg

Yeah, I love Lana for the things she does/did, so I have no problem with the lyrics/motifs. I mean, Cherry is a sweet nothing but it's SO Lana and that's part of why I love it that much.

But when the production, songwriting and general atmosphere of her album starts to lose it's unique "Lana-touch" like on LFL (partly because the album was too messy), the lacking lyrical motifs stick out more.

this album is prob my fave along with UV and i don't think it lacks a Lana touch at all, but ofc these are subjective opinions anyway. personally, i like that each album gives us a dramatically different era and vibe, both aesthetically but also in terms of mood/atmosphere, bc if she'd kept the same BTD/Paradise sound i would've probably grown tired of it by now & moved on. so the recycling/reusing of the same themes & visuals but in different contexts and with v different meanings is something i like a lot - in this album even more so bc she left the strictly personal/biographical (regardless of whether real or not) and started looking to what's around her as well. so in that sense i find LFL really promising in terms of what could come next. she's growing as an artist but she's also maturing - i mean, she'll be 33 this year - so i don't think she's gonna revert to her poppier sound or BTD/unreleased style lyrics tbh, and personally i'm totally okay with that. ita that she still has a lot of growing to do in terms of lyrics tho, especially if the snippet she posted a couple days ago is any indication of what she's been writing, sorry to say.

The truth is, Lana being political is just straight up boooooooring. It is and always will be. People listen to artists like Lana because they want to escape reality and enter a dreamlike fantasy world. They don't want to be reminded of the idiocrasy by politicians and have to hear about nuclear bombs and "tensions rising over country lines". At least i don't anyway. To me, that's not what music and art is about and i really hope she finds a way to seperate her political mind and her musical mind.

Art has always been about social issues.

Lana's just not good at doing that, especially since she's not really doing it - she writes some of her usual lyrics and then puts two or three superficial lines about some social issue into them.

You don't have to write/sing a literal essay on a social issue but politics, society etc. are an important part of art.  That's one of the biggest problems with todays music. Many of them are either just focussed on doing superficial music with a focus on commercial success. And if "mainstream artists" pull of political songs, they often end up cringy.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

this album is prob my fave along with UV and i don't think it lacks a Lana touch at all, but ofc these are subjective opinions anyway. personally, i like that each album gives us a dramatically different era and vibe, both aesthetically but also in terms of mood/atmosphere, bc if she'd kept the same BTD/Paradise sound i would've probably grown tired of it by now & moved on. so the recycling/reusing of the same themes & visuals but in different contexts and with v different meanings is something i like a lot - in this album even more so bc she left the strictly personal/biographical (regardless of whether real or not) and started looking to what's around her as well. so in that sense i find LFL really promising in terms of what could come next. she's growing as an artist but she's also maturing - i mean, she'll be 33 this year - so i don't think she's gonna revert to her poppier sound or BTD/unreleased style lyrics tbh, and personally i'm totally okay with that. ita that she still has a lot of growing to do in terms of lyrics tho, especially if the snippet she posted a couple days ago is any indication of what she's been writing, sorry to say.

I personally could not get any certain vibe pr aesthetic for  LFL. The album felt pretty disjointed and messy with a lot of random different sounds.  For me, it failed to archieve the "class" of the rest of her albums. It was neither very conceptional, nor intense nor mature nor an indicator fpr artistic growth - just a collection of  16 new songs, which were nice to have (at least some of them) but not interesting as a body of work.

I personally could not get any certain vibe pr aesthetic for  LFL. The album felt pretty disjointed and messy with a lot of random different sounds.  For me, it failed to archieve the "class" of the rest of her albums. It was neither very conceptional, nor intense nor mature nor an indicator fpr artistic growth - just a collection of  16 new songs, which were nice to have (at least some of them) but not interesting as a body of work.

fair enough. to me it felt like an introspective album about this particular political/social era, which is a time of change (mostly not good) and unrest. so all the songs felt cohesive to me under that light. it's not a truly political album, which is something i'm thankful for bc i don't think she has anything significantly important to contribute there - she's not particularly knowledgeable or even interested in politics & she's not part of a persecuted or unprivileged group that she could give genuine answers to or incite to protest/action - so i think the stance she chose, that of a personal interpretation of events and of offering a rare optimism and solace that didn't imply downright ignoring the issues, was a great one. someone here compared it to reading someone's personal thoughts written on a diary about what's going on with the world & imo that's actually a perfect description, but unlike the person who wrote it i don't think there's anything wrong with that.

she's not arrogant enough to believe that she can teach anyone something about politics or make a real change in the world, but she's not self-centered enough to completely ignore everything that's going on & was kind enough to try to give comfort to whoever seeks it in her music, that's p much how i'd sum up LFL.

Honey, no. I want mature content about happiness and emotions, not about more songs with CupcakKe vibes.

yeah if she makes a sex album it should be like idk bjorks vespertine

OTTR was awe-inspiring, sensational, remarkable, spectacular... will anything ever compare? [/size]

Honestly (and I adore lana so this   i s n t   s h a d e) I think that song was mostly shaped lyrically by Tim (her co-writer). He's the god man who brought us ottr, cherry, and g&m. I think she had the visuals in her mind and kinda dictated that to him. If he isn't on LDR6 i'll be sad.[/size]

???

God I hate when you guys say things like this

you literally put Sirens, an album recorded on a potato, above Honeymoon? and AKA above UV? and paradise above BTD and LFL? literally have to wash my eyes after reading this

UV > HM > LFL > BTD > Paradise >>>>>>>>>>> her old previous albums that y'all for some reason count as her discography

Honeymoon was a good collection of individual songs; but it dragged on and on and on as an album. For that reason, I ranked it last. After giving Sirens a chance, I fell in love with it and that's how it got the ranking that it did. And Paradise is better than Born To Die and Lust For Life to me. That doesn't make BTD or LFL bad; that just makes Paradise really, really great.

I count AKA and Sirens as part of her discography because THEY ARE. She made Sirens, From The End EP, Young Like Me EP, Kill Kill EP, Lana Del Rey AKA Lizzy Grant, Lana Del Rey EP, Born To Die, Paradise, Ultraviolence, Honeymoon, and Lust For Life. That is her discography; whether you (or her) like it or not. I didn't count FTE, YLM, KK, or LDR EP in my rankings though.

you know this was looking pretty solid but seeing honeymoon at last i'm slightly concerned but go off

I don't like how the album dragged on so much. If the tempos were slightly different or the songs slightly shorter; it would be higher.

giphy.gif

songs like Happiness is a Butterfly is what I want from her on her new album.

It concludes her entire cycle.

How she matured, changed her state of mind, became happier, confident, satisfied with her own work.

Hopefully no songs like WTWWAWWKD, Summer Bummer or Groupie Love, they grow old so fast.

giphy.gif

songs like Happiness is a Butterfly is what I want from her on her new album.

It concludes her entire cycle.

How she matured, changed her state of mind, became happier, confident, satisfied with her own work.

Hopefully no songs like WTWWAWWKD, Summer Bummer or Groupie Love, they grow old so fast.

LFL concluded her cycle. Next album will be a brand new beginning <3

LFL concluded her cycle. Next album will be a brand new beginning <3

I refuse to call it an album.

LFL feels like a playlist she made in her free time.

It's not complete or anything.

giphy.gif

fair enough. to me it felt like an introspective album about this particular political/social era, which is a time of change (mostly not good) and unrest. so all the songs felt cohesive to me under that light. it's not a truly political album, which is something i'm thankful for bc i don't think she has anything significantly important to contribute there - she's not particularly knowledgeable or even interested in politics & she's not part of a persecuted or unprivileged group that she could give genuine answers to or incite to protest/action - so i think the stance she chose, that of a personal interpretation of events and of offering a rare optimism and solace that didn't imply downright ignoring the issues, was a great one. someone here compared it to reading someone's personal thoughts written on a diary about what's going on with the world & imo that's actually a perfect description, but unlike the person who wrote it i don't think there's anything wrong with that.

she's not arrogant enough to believe that she can teach anyone something about politics or make a real change in the world, but she's not self-centered enough to completely ignore everything that's going on & was kind enough to try to give comfort to whoever seeks it in her music, that's p much how i'd sum up LFL.

I get what you want to say.

But I personally think that if all she can come up is "Yeah, shit is going down but let's keep on daaaaaaaaaaaancing!" "cause we're beautiful people with beautiful problems", then she should just not say anything and stick to songs about daddys and unrequited love. Because LFL really has no "personal thoughts" to submit. At least I can't find anything that's ACTUALLY related to the topics she said she'd sing about. Take away GBA's chorus and all her talk about how it's about the woman's marches and you have .. well, a typical Lana song.

Songs that comment social and political issues can be great, even if you are not part of an unpriviledged group. But I feel that Lana just can't pull it of.

Tbh I'd rather Lana make a politicl album where she knows exactly what she's talking about or just drop the idea completely. All or nothing. None of this 'political/socially aware vibes'. Yawn.

Like @@Terrence Loves Me mentioned, most of us use Lana's music as an escapism from all this political shit IRL. Another album like LFL isn't what I would persoanally want.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I know that LFL is dead and this isn't the correct thread... But I just want to say to reminder that Change is THAT song and you should give it a stream, x

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I know that LFL is dead and this isn't the correct thread... But I just want to say to reminder that Coachella is THAT song and you should give it a stream, x

absolutely underrated! 

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...