Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

She should just put all effort possible into making a record properly and if she feels like doing a fun track out of nowhere or "hey let's just jam a bit and record it" - if it doesn't go well with the rest, leave it out or just upload it on Soundcloud or whatever. Back in the day we got Chelsea Hotel and Summer Wine no one saw coming (okay they're covers but _what_ever_), you don't have to change your albums drastically just because you want to add a couple of different tracks in unless you're really, really into them but in that case make sure you get the same vibe going on with the other tracks (yes LFL I'm looking at you). Just the musician and a piano can be very good, but like daytona just mentioned more complex progressions are better in the long run; if you keep it simple, they're all going to sound just the same which is my main problem and concern at the moment.  :crossed:

And therefore will flop. These songs are okay but don't have a very well structured melody. In the end they all kind of end up sounding the same.

Thats true. If she had wanted to make another ballad album, she should have rather worked with Rick again. Honeymoon has much stronger melodies and better production than these new songs.

we expected it to sound psychedelic and guitar driven because thats how lana described the album in the interviews in september

She just finished the production on HTD in December. Its possible the overall sound has changed.

And therefore will flop. These songs are okay but don't have a very well structured melody. In the end they all kind of end up sounding the same.

Well, that's not a problem tbh. I don't understand why people that stan Lana are always waiting for a massive hit that it's going to play on the radio all day. Lana is not that kind of artist, she never was (the only song that played a lot on the radio was SS remix) and it's time to people stop expecting anything like that from her (and I mean, the amount of sells of an artist doesn't say shit about their quality. If the number of sells mens something, the chainsmokers, halsey and any shitty artist like those are the best artists in the world)

About the structure of the melody, the only thing that it's bad it's that they're too simple, she should do something more complex, that's why I do think that she needs to start playing piano or something like that, so she could explore more sounds, more complex ones.

She just finished the production on HTD in December. Its possible the overall sound has changed.

lana and jack spent a whole year recording an album, the production isnt going to change in 3 months especially since lana said mastering takes months and the mastering was completed recently

Jack Antonoff is not exactly known for psychedelic guitar-driven music. I dont know why you expected the album to sound like that. Its described as introspective sad girl album. The album will be filled with these piano-driven ballads.

She said in an interview on BBC Radio 1, 2018 that NFR is inspired by the sound of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Laurel Canyon vibes.

When she talked about releasing an album full of piano-driven ballads, it was before the release of MAC.

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

Well, that's not a problem tbh. I don't understand why people that stan Lana are always waiting for a massive hit that it's going to play on the radio all day. Lana is not that kind of artist, she never was (the only song that played a lot on the radio was SS remix) and it's time to people stop expecting anything like that from her (and I mean, the amount of sells of an artist doesn't say shit about their quality. If the number of sells mens something, the chainsmokers, halsey and any shitty artist like those are the best artists in the world)

About the structure of the melody, the only thing that it's bad it's that they're too simple, she should do something more complex, that's why I do think that she needs to start playing piano or something like that, so she could explore more sounds, more complex ones.

Girl I didn't mean charts, etc. I meant with the fans, like the fans won't like it. IDC about her chart positions. I just like for the album itself to do well so that her label funds a tour.

I just wish Lana was more clearer with her descriptions. Is it mostly piano? How many of the tracks will have guitar? What vibe is the album REALLY like (because lord knows what we have so far is not even close to being RHCP inspired).

giphy.gif

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

She said in an interview on BBC Radio 1, 2018 that NFR is inspired by the sound of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Laurel Canyon vibes.

When she talked about releasing an album full of piano-driven ballads, it was before the release of MAC.

She said the "introspective sad girl shit" like a few weeks ago. And this description works very well with the new songs.

I don't have any issues with raw piano ballads, but I don't like the way they seem to be done on this album. Both Sylvia and HIAB have a pretty straightforward, bland piano instrumental. I'd like them to be ... smarter.

Change was very raw and I love the simple piano on it. It fits the tracks vibe. But the HIAB-snippets really sound  like the piano is just a placeholder.

I hope we'll get that lush production for HTD that Lana teased in her story.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

now people are complaining that these songs either sound all the same or don’t sound the same at all. Pls listen to these lyrics and the piano driven instrumentals on each of these songs. it’s so cohesive in lyrics and instrumentals. it’s soft in a sense with a tone of humbility. if you want an album that’s different for each song go stream LFL. this album is very cohesive so far. and ALSO, So what if it’s simple with isntrumentals? last album she experimented A LOT.

giphy.gif

now people are complaining that these songs either sound all the same or don’t sound the same at all. Pls listen to these lyrics and the piano driven instrumentals on each of these songs. it’s so cohesive in lyrics and instrumentals. it’s soft in a sense with a tone of humbility. if you want an album that’s different for each song go stream LFL. this album is very cohesive so far. and ALSO, So what if it’s simple with isntrumentals? last album she experimented A LOT.

Because every song having a subtle piano is boring as hell and lacks creativity. 

Thats true. If she had wanted to make another ballad album, she should have rather worked with Rick again. Honeymoon has much stronger melodies and better production than these new songs.

But this is tea tbh

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

She said the "introspective sad girl shit" like a few weeks ago. And this description works very well with the new songs.

Lyrically yes, sonically could be songs like MAC and VB or HIADT. 

edit: She described what the album is about, not the sound.

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."