Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

No one wants to wake up to the news I woke up to this morning. No one. I was preparing my coffee, turning on wi-fi and the first thing I read is: “Lana Del Rey is going to release an album with piano ballads and bad vocal mixing”. I blinked my eyes countless times and I went on Facebook just to see more and more posts about it. I couldn’t believe it. My Norman Fucking Rockwell dream was over and there I was at 8AM sitting in my kitchen looking at the screen of my iPhone.

I know this may sound a bit too much but… Yes. Tears started falling from my eyes and they wouldn’t stop. I don’t consider this to be an over dramatic reaction like many of you could easily consider. I look at it as unconditional love, dedication and passion. Something unexplainable, no one can translate love into words or even admiration. Some people get your attention and you don’t know why. And while I am fully aware that Norman Fucking Rockwell is over, it's not just down to Lana, I also am aware that it’s never going to be the same. It doesn’t matter if it is Norman or Sylvia or Jack or Fucking or Rockwell. It doesn’t. I saw this album being born when Lana was just premiering one snippet on instagram. A few months later it turned into a strong and confident collection of snippets which were extremely inspirational. Lana and Jack brought the “introspective sad girl shit” back in the music industry and scored two of the biggest hits of this new decade. I was obsessed and extremely proud of it.

Every Lana fan was aware that Lana was not happy. There’s indifference and I don’t know what to think. Nonetheless, I am no one to judge that. All I want to make clear is: Lana Del Rey is never going to be Lana Del Rey again and that’s why I feel like my dream has been crashed. My Norman Fucking Rockwell dream has ended. It hurts so bad when you’re not prepared… 

Yet, I always like to see things from the bright side and I am going to always support Lana Del Rey as a singer and all of her albums as the great projects that they are. They’ve had an amazing and beautiful impact in my life.

I see this. I feel like "Lana Del Rey" is gone. The aesthetic, the style. I mean she just doesn't seem to care anymore. I feel like the Lana I knew pretty much ended with Honeymoon. 

No one wants to wake up to the news I woke up to this morning. No one. I was preparing my coffee, turning on wi-fi and the first thing I read is: “Lana Del Rey is going to release an album with piano ballads and bad vocal mixing”. I blinked my eyes countless times and I went on Facebook just to see more and more posts about it. I couldn’t believe it. My Norman Fucking Rockwell dream was over and there I was at 8AM sitting in my kitchen looking at the screen of my iPhone.

I know this may sound a bit too much but… Yes. Tears started falling from my eyes and they wouldn’t stop. I don’t consider this to be an over dramatic reaction like many of you could easily consider. I look at it as unconditional love, dedication and passion. Something unexplainable, no one can translate love into words or even admiration. Some people get your attention and you don’t know why. And while I am fully aware that Norman Fucking Rockwell is over, it's not just down to Lana, I also am aware that it’s never going to be the same. It doesn’t matter if it is Norman or Sylvia or Jack or Fucking or Rockwell. It doesn’t. I saw this album being born when Lana was just premiering one snippet on instagram. A few months later it turned into a strong and confident collection of snippets which were extremely inspirational. Lana and Jack brought the “introspective sad girl shit” back in the music industry and scored two of the biggest hits of this new decade. I was obsessed and extremely proud of it.

Every Lana fan was aware that Lana was not happy. There’s indifference and I don’t know what to think. Nonetheless, I am no one to judge that. All I want to make clear is: Lana Del Rey is never going to be Lana Del Rey again and that’s why I feel like my dream has been crashed. My Norman Fucking Rockwell dream has ended. It hurts so bad when you’re not prepared… 

Yet, I always like to see things from the bright side and I am going to always support Lana Del Rey as a singer and all of her albums as the great projects that they are. They’ve had an amazing and beautiful impact in my life.

Uhh.... we know nothing more from what we knew 6 weeks ago. Maybe that the lead single has changed. Otherwise, the album is exactly how it was weeks ago. If anything changed, she added a track or two. That’s it.

This record is being produced mainly by Jack. We haven’t heard any news if she’ll include a track or two involving Rick as producer also. The chances are slim, but her next record is probably already being thought about, knowing her. She’s probably figuring out who she wants to work with again, hell, maybe she’ll do 2 records with Jack back to back.

I don’t want to sound rude, but you’re over reacting. Piano ballads are nothing new to Lana, she’s been doing them from the start. We have over 100 unreleased tracks from years ago.

Let her live her life. Let her work her magic and craft. She’ll come through. L4L was for the fans, this one is for herself again. Don’t make her rush anything.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

well you're gonna be waiting a long time sweaty

I'm gonna wait forever 

girl, calm down. The album isn't out yet

EDIT: bolded the words I added because I wasn't specific

We know Cinnamon has a banger production. We know HTD only sounded like a piano ballad performed at the Apple event, but has a more extensive production as heard in her Insta story. MAC and VB on the album with their rock-tinged vibes. Cinnamon + HTD with some hip-hop/bop elements. HIADT and HIAB with their low-key ballads. That's only half of an album heard, sweeties. It's possible that this can all fall into place as something with a very dynamic soundscape across the record, with a cohesiveness found in Lana's lyricism and vocal emoting. 

I don't know why everybody thinks this is going to be an album full of piano ballads.

giphy.gif

Ok LB has officially become fucking crazy...

The melodies of all the songs from NFR are incredible, it’s a cohesive work also, her voice is just so pure and touching, and every song sounds so sincere...

my only concern is the mid-year release if it’s true... These introspective songs scream winter release to me. NFR is shaping up to be in the same vein as HM, with hints of UV’s originality.

tenor.gif?itemid=10875831

Seriously though, I am surprised everyone seems so worried. All three songs which have been released so far seems to have been generally very well received by most people here. And not to be THAT person, but remember we have only heard snippets of the songs - they could easily pull a VB and Cinnamon and burst into a rich production! Remember when we first heard the VB snippet, and we thought it was going to be really slow with a minimal instrumental? And then we were all shocked when it turned into a psychedelic masterpiece! The only piano-driven song for sure we have is HIADT because we have heard it in full. HIAB may be piano-driven, but as someone else said it has been recorded by another device before being upload to IG so other elements of the instrumental could have easily been missed. And even if HIAB is piano-driven, it's not a really slow song like HIADT. And even then that it only two songs being piano-driven. 

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

I’m loving the melody and the lyrics, great step up from LFL. But I can’t stand the sound of the vocals, the weird echo/layering ? I can hear her actual voice sounding flawless but there’s a weird effect on it and I HATE it

LIZARD PEOPLE

“Happiness is a butterfly” is something I’ve been looking forward to since she posted the first snippet on insta. It has zero flaws but Lana is ruining the hype for me and i will not forgive her for this.

LB is not psychotherapy session. It seems you have problem with your self-confidence if you cant exist just on your own.

you're really rude, you know that, right? 

So, talking about what really matters:

Gays, chill. Lana has been working on more complex lyrics, maybe she'll bring that to the instrumentals too. The songs may surprise us.

the songs out there are not even close to mediocre or bad, they're really great. I trust her, for real

She said the "introspective sad girl shit" like a few weeks ago. And this description works very well with the new songs.

I bet she said that just because she was thinking about HIADT. None of the other songs she's teased and released are actually sad, they're pretty much, hopeful, positive and nostalgic in a happy way. And they're not really that introspective either, come on now.

Wow, she literally was thinking just about a particular song at that moment and characterised the sound of the whole album in response. Now I don't take any info seriously, not even from her anymore, 'cause she's a goddamn near sociopath ( I had to lol ) 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

First of all, Complex explicitly stated that the press release from Lana’s team said all three songs we have are from the album...just not official singles.

Secondly, the snippet shows up on Shazam as “Happiness is a Butterfly” so its a different track from NFR.

Thirdly, I was also expecting more psych rock influence after those early interviews, but we don’t know what the other songs will sound like and those we have snippets for may change like VB. Jack is known for switching up production mid-song.

I bet she said that just because she was thinking about HIADT. None of the other songs she's teased and released are actually sad, they're pretty much, hopeful, positive and nostalgic in a happy way. And they're not really that introspective either, come on now.

Wow, she literally was thinking just about a particular song at that moment and characterised the sound of the whole album in response. Now I don't take any info seriously, not even from her anymore, 'cause she's a goddamn near sociopath ( I had to lol ) 

she always do that! It's something that we should learn asap