Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

How can you guys say the chorus is trash when it clearly resemble The Family Jewels????? Ugh you've been fed with too much mainstream pop trash while she was gone, clean yourselves

How can you guys say the chorus is trash when it clearly resemble The Family Jewels????? Ugh you've been fed with too much mainstream pop trash while she was gone, clean yourselves

get off your high horse

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

The song is the definition of mainstream pop trash though

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

"The reason I'm singing it tonight is because I wrote it with someone who's in this building tonight"

So, yes, she knows it's not lead single material.

INB4 Baby is the lead for her album and like Clean Bandit 4894894 single.

Emotional Machine is ok but... I'm just not really judging hard because, for some random reason, some Marina songs just don't work live for me.

For some reason, the part where she says "I'm an emotional machiiiineee" reminds me of Hermit the Frog... I think it's something about those really bizarre, high-pitched vocals that does it for me. The vocals even sort of has a Mowgli's Road vibe, so I'm definitely seeing where TFJ comparisons are coming from.

It's like the vocals of TFJ, the production/poppy sound of EH and the lyrical content of FROOT.

Excited to hear the full song, especially since the production & vocals sound so good! 

Plus, remember that this is not the lead single (or potentially even a single at all) so it's probably not the best song on the album. She said she just wanted to perform it because she co-wrote it with Broods.

the problem with emotional machine is that its too simple. she shouldve added an extra chorus with a harder beat and bass, that would've made it a bop

the structure and lengths of the verses and choruses remind me of Perfect Illusion

the problem with emotional machine is that its too simple. she shouldve added an extra chorus with a harder beat and bass, that would've made it a bop

the structure and lengths of the verses and choruses remind me of Perfect Illusion

You see, I don't think it's fair to judge a song too harshly based on its live version. The studio version, especially the final chorus, has an extra kick. You can hear the subtle bass guitar and beat. Also, there are a lot of vocal layering which make the final bit a lot more magical and I'm basing all of this on the early demo that I have (apparently they added more synths and stuff in the later versions). 

This is the kind of sound she kept for the upbeat tracks. The production is minimalistic, lots of bass and synths going on, the choruses for the upbeat songs are short and focused on the melodies and the vocalization she does which sound really nice. The chorus for Superstar is basically "oh oh oh superstar superstar (in head voice)". She's experimenting a lot with her voice during this record and doing lots of layering which gets kinda lost when you translate it to a live performance.

Now the ballads or mid/low-tempo tracks are a different kind of beast. They are stripped back, lyrics are rich and strong, there's a laptop demo that she did that was almost acapella and they didn't add much to it in the final version. And there's this other track that sounds very much like Happy. 

So basically I'm not sure if Emotional Machine was a good song to sing live cause you lose so much of the fine details the studio version has. Soo yeah, don't go too hard on her. It's in my top 3. 

You see, I don't think it's fair to judge a song too harshly based on its live version. The studio version, especially the final chorus, has an extra kick. You can hear the subtle bass guitar and beat. Also, there are a lot of vocal layering which make the final bit a lot more magical and I'm basing all of this on the early demo that I have (apparently they added more synths and stuff in the later versions). 

This is the kind of sound she kept for the upbeat tracks. The production is minimalistic, lots of bass and synths going on, the choruses for the upbeat songs are short and focused on the melodies and the vocalization she does which sound really nice. The chorus for Superstar is basically "oh oh oh superstar superstar (in head voice)". She's experimenting a lot with her voice during this record and doing lots of layering which gets kinda lost when you translate it to a live performance.

Now the ballads or mid/low-tempo tracks are a different kind of beast. They are stripped back, lyrics are rich and strong, there's a laptop demo that she did that was almost acapella and they didn't add much to it in the final version. And there's this other track that sounds very much like Happy. 

So basically I'm not sure if Emotional Machine was a good song to sing live cause you lose so much of the fine details the studio version has. Soo yeah, don't go too hard on her. It's in my top 3. 

so this is FROOT 2.0? shit  :toofunny:

Do you know when we're getting Emotional Machine?

giphy.gif

The album does sound like FROOT 2.0 ...I thought maybe she was going to make more generic chart sounding songs like baby. I’m here for it though. I think she should makes songs with fresh production, lots of instrumentation much like what Lana is doing. She’s got the brains and the writing capabilities to do better than basic pop.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I hope she just surprises us. I'm actually excited for Baby because it sounds so different from her other songs. Emotional Machine sounds okaay, it's probably a grower. Love the bridge for sure.