drewby

LB Listens! - Week 2: Florence + the Machine

The first album we will be listening to together this week is RATCHET by Shamir.

Rankings due Friday evening. Please try to keep your rankings in one post, but feel free to discuss them after you do! I'll compile everything while the poll is up to determine the following week's album!

BzhmW.png

This sounds great, is it too late to join?

nope, as long as the rate is in by Friday night! I'm just updating the OP with the participants so everyone can see the overall average of the album next to their name!

BzhmW.png

@ do I have to send it as a PM? Or do I post it just here? LOL sorry

post it here, that way the disagreements can cause drama conversation about why you liked/disliked some of the tracks

BzhmW.png

@ I hope I rated this the way you were saying in the original post, if not, just let me know how you'd prefer it to be. I also color coded the song titles... 

So my review... I'm listening to it on Spotify so... Shamir - RATCHET, Week 1.

1) Vegas: Woah, didn't expect his voice to sound like this but it's not a bad thing. It's a good album opener and I really like the sound of it, and it's just... a lot better than what my initial reaction would be. I like it, though. A

2) Make A Scene: I didn't care too much for this song. It's not my favorite so far. Simply a C

3) On The Regular: I really like this song, as far as I am in the album, I'm liking this more than the first two tracks. I really like the instrumental and the lyrics are interesting... which is what I really like about it. "This is me on the regular, so you know" lol giving me those "This is my show" teasssss. I really love the "Don't try me, I'm not a free sample" line lmao I'd give this track an A

4) Call It Off: I like the sound of this song. Again, not my favorite track, but more favorable than the first two songs. Instrumental is interesting. Lyrics are, too, just kind of repetitive. It feels like there's a lot going on toward the end of the track but I like the way it ended with the beep-sounding noises. Very different from normal pop. Eh, C

5) Hot Mess: I like the first verse but the chorus kind of killed it for me. It's just, well... a hot mess. And a like the song before, a bit too repetitive. I mean, we get it. "Damn he's a hot mess." This song just kind of annoyed me, really. F

6) Demon: His voice on this!!! Oh my fucking god!!! The lyrics!! YASSSSS!!!! 10/10. Right now. The instrumental on this and the beat. He recovered from the messiness of the last song. "I'm a ride or die, and it feels so right, and I gone and sold my soul" might not seem like a great line but I really like it. "If I'm a demon, baby, you're the beast that made me" is just... The beat is just cohesive throughout the entire track and I love that. Now if the rest of the album is like that... This track is a A for me.  :agree2:

7) In For The Kill: Annnnd I'm a bit disappointed. I mean, I like the lyrics to this one, but the sound wasn't that chill or laid back like Demon. I liked the simplicity of Demon so I was hoping something along those lines. Having one beat and then a random saxophone line reminds me of that Afraid V2 with the random snare drum line playing in the middle of the song... I mean, it's just not a track I'd return to and probably skip. The bridge is recovering it... Okay. I like it better. I think the bridge recovered it. I'd give it an F  :sadcore:

8) Youth: I like the sound of this better than I did 'In For The Kill.' I mean, it just seems more chill but with enough bop to kind of wanna follow the beat. The lyrics are interesting but it's just, like those couple earlier songs, too repetitive toward the end. I mean, I get what he's saying but it's just a bit annoying. It's not something to kill the song because I genuinely like the sound of the song, so I'd give it a C

9) Darker: YES. Another ballad-type song. These are what he's best at, in my opinion. God, this is what I'm here for.  :crying4: I'm loving it so much. The chorus section simply compliments his voice and that's a good thing. Tbh I expected the song to pick up the beat after the first verse into the chorus or after the chorus into the second verse, but it didn't and I'm glad it didn't. "It's getting harder to contain the truth" is just...  :crying5:   A.

10) Head In The Clouds: Back to another upbeat song. I like the sound of it and the lyrics. I like the instrumental part right after the first chorus and the sound of the entire song is just... new and different. I mean, sure the rest of the album sounded "new" and "different" but there's just something about this song that's just a bit more... well, it feels new. It just does, imo. I'd give it an A. Definitely a bop  :tongue:

11) KC: I didn't expect a more... well, acoustic sounding song for this one. But I fucking love it. The sound is different from the rest of the album and I'm glad he went in this direction with it and not overproduced or anything or made it a messy, repetitive song. His voice on this track is just goddamn perfect for the lyrics. I loved the entire song. A

My thoughts on the album as a whole: I like it but it's not the best debut album I've ever heard. It's different and sounds new. I'm really into the sound of it and the lyrics were really good. I liked more than half of the album, so I obviously like it. The instrumentals gave me a little bit of Azalea Banks teasss, with the weird, different sound but he still made it work. I'd just say it's definitely a good album this year, but not my favorite. I'd say it's an A/C album, kind of both.

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto5_500.jpg