Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I wasn't impressed as much as I was inspired. She made me think of what was and hope for what could be. She felt so new, but so familiar too. She was exciting and comforting at the same time. I got into her music during a very difficult time in my life. Not that it's ever been easy, but as bad as things were, they were still too good. And so I started losing it all, one by one. Lana's music (supposed?) journey, and also her being older than me, gave me hope that I could one day bounce back. I never saw her as a role model (lol) but she's been #goals for years, if that makes sense.

Yeah it really makes me sick seeing certain people glorified by fans and even the media.... Called sweethearts, angels, saints, etc and considered sensitive & kind. And I wish I could tell them that the man of their dreams would give them nightmares. That he was crueler than they could ever imagine. That he was capable of things they wouldn't handle knowing about. But there's no point.

Anyway, I actually really loved the LFL aesthetic, or should I say aesthetics? She was all over the place lol. I loved the witchy theme, the hippie theme, and even the more casual/hip hop/whatever summer bummer theme. I wish this era's visuals were half as good. Nothing we've had so far could compare to the Love video, and even the LFL cover was better than MAC's, VB's and Hope's.

Oh, of course LFL’s album cover etc were better than what we have seen so far for this era. I just feel the quality and aesthetic were not up to standard for her, or even very professional by professional standards. But I didn’t think much of the HM artwork either. With LFL, it wasn’t the concept that I disliked as much as the execution. With so many amazing artists and photographers in the world, with so many brilliant conceptualizers, that’s the best she and her team could do?

Musically, I liked LFL better than UV and HM, so we’re in agreement that many parts of LFL were good or great.

I never saw her as a role model either, but of course she’s been inspirational to me as a person of the other gender. She’s like an anima figure for me.

Don’t give up on yourself or your life, as there are brighter days ahead, you will get stronger as you mature, and be cautious of others, especially those you are romantically involved with.

take a shot every time a new account comes into this thread to say the record label is holding up the album

deadass i am so tired of people coming in here going “why are you guys so mad?? it must be interscope/ben/the rockwell estate/etc!” not saying i expect everyone to know everything and read the 1000 pages but the condescending attitude that comes along with it is annoying as hell.

i thought she said this was the happiest time of her life though? hence her new relaxed and even make up free image, whereas previously she'd openly said she was depressed. obviously i know she's had a complicated relationship with fame and not everything she says can be taken at face value. i'm inclined to think she's just complacent, has pretty much everything she wants in terms of career and doesn't care. even in terms of awards, i think if she'd ever cared about that she'd have been way more interested in doing promo which has always been nonexistent with her. i think she's just achieved everything she wanted to

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

I'm kind of confused about all the drama about the album, all of the singles got amazing reviews, and they were great--it felt like this could be the album that get's Lana some album of the year level Grammy recognition. Do we really even know that she doesn't want to release it, it almost sounds like maybe the recording company could be the ones gatekeeping it? But I don't know. It feels like there could be all kinds of possibilities, maybe even the desire to wait for the perfect time since it sounds like it was really special. All the insta snippets were fantastic and would she have released those if she wasn't proud of her work? But I guess it's all speculation at this point. I just hope things turn out well.

Lana already confirmed (badly tho- because this topic is still being brought up) that this is all on her in an interview. In a nutshell, she said that she felt like this era had an ease to it or whatever and she could take her time in releasing it. Ben and Ed, as useless as they are, also confirmed it by stating a few times in IG comments that the choices that have been made are due to Lana, not her team. She wants to release the poetry book first and do whatever the hell she wants.

Lana already confirmed (badly tho- because this topic is still being brought up) that this is all on her in an interview. In a nutshell, she said that she felt like this era had an ease to it or whatever and she could take her time in releasing it. Ben and Ed, as useless as they are, also confirmed it by stating a few times in IG comments that the choices that have been made are due to Lana, not her team. She wants to release the poetry book first and do whatever the hell she wants.

But why, at this point, should we believe that statement over other things she’s said that have proven to be wrong or inaccurate?

But why, at this point, should we believe that statement over other things she’s said that have proven to be wrong or inaccurate?

Personally, her actions confirm it and sometimes the simplest explanations are the correct ones.

Violets Bent Backwards killed Norman Fucking Rockwell and thats the tea. 

she even leaked half of it via her instagram page lmao this evil book can choke!!

joking cuz i want it too   :toofunny: 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

ah okay, thanks for the clarification !

God, the l4l period was such a stunner compared to this. Having notifications on for her actually meant something. 

I agree with other people on here in that she's changed a lot since the beginning of making NFR. She seemed so happy on tour and happy meeting fans, going into the crowd... ugh. I think it's difficult for her to be in the music zone with her saddie friends and the energy they seem to bring. All for an artist changing and growing, personally and professionally, but completely losing any professionalism... sad. Someone posted her poetry to a fb group that makes fun of poetry, and someone pointed out that her lyrics are massively helped by the music behind them. They mostly list items or activities vaguely associated with Americana, and sang the right way with the right music, it can work. On a piece of paper? 

Summer

Blue 

Forever

(leak NFR)

It's great to see an artist you love evolve, and tragic to see them devolve.

That's very true. I've dismissed so many songs (some of which I now love) without even giving them a listen because I read the lyrics first and didn't like them. I used to always do that when I was younger, which is why it took me years to give more than half of Lana's released & unreleased discography a chance. I remember checking out songs like Jimmy Gnecco, Wayamaya, Dance For Money, Summer of Sam, etc and being like "trash, trash, even trashier trash, a whole damn pile of trash" lmao

She has many good songs with weak or even really bad lyrics, but overall, I've always thought of her as an amazing songwriter/poet -up until she decided to become an "actual" poet. It seems that all her talent disappeared and it makes no sense. She either got a bit more help than we thought from other people with the songs she's made so far, or this is the kind of content and quality we'll be getting from now on (which is why I'm dreading LDR7).

Regarding the songs we've heard so far from NFR (in full), the only awful one is VB. I would have definitely liked MAC, HTD and of course Hope if she had posted them as poems.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Doin' Time (Extended Snippet)

[link removed]

WOW I-

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Personally, her actions confirm it and sometimes the simplest explanations are the correct ones.

It still makes no sense, and few if any record companies would allow it, as such an album cannot be effectively promoted, and without adequate sales, they have little chance of recouping their investment. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Nor Is there anything “simple” about such an explanation. It’s a more complicated explanation, not a less complicated one, than releasing the album in essentially one fell swoop as most artists do.

And what actual actions of hers are we genuinely aware of, short of attending certain events or dating various men? Few if any, unless some of us know her personally.