Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

She said:

“It was in the vein of a Laurel Canyon sound,” she told R1, “and it’s kind of transformed a little bit because there’s some surf elements to some of the songs – it’s not really surfy like Dick Dale but a lot of electric guitar, a little Red Hot Chili Peppers influence in there.”

As usual, she's vague as all fuck, but she makes it sound summery.

It’s true she said that in September, when the album wasn’t done yet. Whenever asked what the album sounds like while making it, she describes the last songs she worked on. I trust more her January interview description of the album (« it has no real bangers ») since it was finished.

No matter when she releases it , I will be listening to it for sure. It’s been 84 years since MAC and VB.

She's probably still figuring out how to release it without causing riots in whatever bookstores in Silver Lake she drops it off at. There will almost certainly be more people wanting it than there are copies available.

She might not even tell anyone when she's dropped it off. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

If she successfully hypes up and manipulates the release of the poetry book, if she manages to create a false sense of urgency about it and a "you're no one in L.A. unless you've got an original copy" vibe, at least among a certain subculture of hipsters, then some people might care about it.

But the idea that there are tsunamis of people in L.A. and all across America who are clamoring for the poetry book is absurd. Even here on this Stan site, there hasn't been much enthusiasm for it or the individual poems she's released so far. 

She can say, "it's self-published and each copy is individually bound by me, each copy is signed and one-of-a-kind, it's a limited edition, a limited run, it will be a collector's item," and some people will be affected by that, but that doesn't change the fact that for most, the content will be almost worthless in itself, except that LDR wrote it. 

If she successfully hypes up and manipulates the release of the poetry book, if she manages to create a false sense of urgency about it and a "you're no one in L.A. unless you've got an original copy" vibe, at least among a certain subculture of hipsters, then some people might care about it.

But the idea that there are tsunamis of people in L.A. and all across America who are clamoring for the poetry book is absurd. Even here on this Stan site, there hasn't been much enthusiasm for it or the individual poems she's released so far. 

She can say, "it's self-published and each copy is individually bound by me, each copy is signed and one-of-a-kind, it's a limited edition, a limited run, it will be a collector's item," and some people will be affected by that, but that doesn't change the fact that for most, the content will be almost worthless in itself, except that LDR wrote it. 

If she only does about 200 copies (which I expect, if she's binding them herself) then yeah, people are going to be clamouring for them, if for no other reason than to put them on eBay.

It's all relative. I'm not saying it's going to be some poetic extravaganza for the masses.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

tbh the people on this site are the most cynical about it (which is right, because the poems are ass imo) but from what i’ve seen from most of her fans on it and twitter that i guess we could call ~locals~ (lmao) they’re all dying for it. and if she’s only releasing it in LA then it’s going to sell out anyway because scalpers who don’t even know anything about her know that she’s a celebrity and can extort actual fans on ebay. whether local fans will go on ebay to buy the hiked up book, i doubt many, but the direct sales of the book’ll be covered immediately by scalpers.

If she only does about 200 copies (which I expect, if she's binding them herself) then yeah, people are going to be clamouring for them, if for no other reason than to put them on eBay.

It's all relative. I'm not saying it's going to be some poetic extravaganza for the masses.

Which suggests to me that it hasn’t been worth frustrating her fans for, or needlessly holding up the new record for.

I personally believe that when she announced it in September of last year, she had it written or almost completely written, and had taken the accompanying photos, but had no publisher, and believed by announcing it she would begin a bidding war, one which either never materialized or which came to nothing after publishers reviewed the content.

I’m of course not sure of the number of copies, but I remember seeing the number 500 somewhere in the last four months.

It’s possible that it will be physically beautiful and almost a kind of art object in itself, and thus a sort of folk art piece.

I wish it the best as a project, but wish she would have just released NFR as soon as it was completed and not announced the poetry book until later. Naturally, it’s easy to see how she would have wanted them to be released simultaneously, especially if the book were commercially published. But such things take a lot of time and planning by experienced business professionals from often two companies working together, in this case Interscope and the publisher.

Silence from her and her team for 18 to 24 months or so and then an announcement of both the book and record and a release date would have been perfect.

tbh the people on this site are the most cynical about it (which is right, because the poems are ass imo) but from what i’ve seen from most of her fans on it and twitter that i guess we could call ~locals~ (lmao) they’re all dying for it. and if she’s only releasing it in LA then it’s going to sell out anyway because scalpers who don’t even know anything about her know that she’s a celebrity and can extort actual fans on ebay. whether local fans will go on ebay to buy the hiked up book, i doubt many, but the direct sales of the book’ll be covered immediately by scalpers.

About eBay, absolutely true.

I don’t want to get another WP but i don’t think it’s bad to talk about it. The third snippet is pretty short, ends straight after 2nd chorus I presume. Has very high background vocals reminiscent of HBTB. Not gonna send out anything, though. And i don’t suggest anyone else does. But if you go on Instagram, to my profile. Then I’d assume you would find your answer.

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

I don’t want to get another WP but i don’t think it’s bad to talk about it. The third snippet is pretty short, ends straight after 2nd chorus I presume. Has very high background vocals reminiscent of HBTB. Not gonna send out anything, though. And i don’t suggest anyone else does. But if you go on Instagram, to my profile. Then I’d assume you would find your answer.

Gorgeous and haunting backing vocals yes, but very high, you're reaching

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

Eh. I'll listen to it, and enjoy it, but I'm not super hyped. The snippet she posted on her IG has the intro to TIWMUG demo vibes, which I can fuck with. Don't even want to think of what this means for NFR though. 

locals only

we would have probably realized or found out by now, but whos to say there isnt a MV coming with this song? all her songs that have hit radio have a music video right? this is just speculation so