Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I think it's so sad that she still hasn't found happiness... Like we're 8 years into her career, not counting the unreleased albums prior to fame and they all share that same desire to be loved or be in love and be truly happy. I don't really know what I'm getting at but I just feel bad for her, like.

Happiness is complicated. I am in my 30’s as well and I find it hard to « have », to get a grip on. The notion of happiness, where you feel you truly belong where you are at that moment, when you feel that you are complete, is mostly made of moments and is not a permanent state of mind (sadly). Last time I had the feeling she had found that was last March, when she finished the tour, was recording NFR and stated she was entering her « blue period ».

This is why I love her Happiness is a Butterfly line: it’s exactly that. Happiness is easy to go; there are only moments of happiness. Hope also is a very honest way of seeing things.

Regarding Lana, happiness is even tougher to get since she is in the public eye, with social media and such. She seems happy these days. Or at least tries to. She is looking for what’s real (could explain her new attendance to Hillsong: we know she has always been spiritual and it’s probably part of that quest, though I am completely against it). She seems to have found new friends that help her find that (at least for now).

I don’t know if I make sense... it’s a tough subject to talk about and be concise lol.

Can humans ever be truly happy though? We thrive on the idea that there's so much more to life, beyond our imagination; it's what keeps us satisfied and gives us something worth living for. To reach something, a goal. Literally anything. But the thought of achieving that goal, and then having to face the dreaded question "so, what now?" is a humans biggest fear. It reminds me of Honeymoon.

If we reached full happiness, how would we know? and if we did know, would we be satisfied? or terrified?

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

''My father once told me that peace was like a dream: beautiful, ephemeral...unattainable''  

Basically switch peace with happiness and it works the same. Nobody finds real true happiness in this life.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do"

- Angel (2001)

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Can humans ever be truly happy though? We thrive on the idea that there's so much more to life, beyond our imagination; it's what keeps us satisfied and gives us something worth living for. To reach something, a goal. Literally anything. But the thought of achieving that goal, and then having to face the dreaded question "so, what now?" is a humans biggest fear. It reminds me of Honeymoon.

If we reached full happiness, how would we know? and if we did know, would we be satisfied? or terrified?

''My father once told me that peace was like a dream: beautiful, ephemeral...unattainable''  

Basically switch peace with happiness and it works the same. Nobody finds real true happiness in this life.

French author Françoise Sagan said once, in an interview, that happiness is waking up in the morning and not feeling necessarily super happy nor super depressed. That quote stayed with me for some time now. Problem is that the notion of happiness that we have been taught through society, movies, publicity, stories and such is very different: we are taught that happiness is this everlasting sense of belonging and being at peace with all of your life choices and feeling super fulfilled with your existence, with a constant smile on your face. Its fucking not and impossible; you only get glimpses of that from time to time. 

Lana's been searching for happiness all of her life : through love, music, drugs, moving away, fame (or, at least, that's what I heard in her music and interviews). But now, after that, after all those experiences, what is left? In your 30s, you really want to have something that lasts. She found part of it in her writing, but seems to be looking for it in her personal sphere as well. Thus explaining her posts with her new friends. I hope she does get that sense of belonging that she seems to be looking for. 

I think its funny how ppl say Lana has made it so she doesn't have to try anymore.. there are still a lot of people who don't even know who she is, like she is not Katy Perry level of popstar fame. Now I know that's not necessarily her niche, but still I think our vision is skewed as fans. Fame is fleeting and she definitely is going to have to work if she wants to keep her lifestyle, dont get it twisted

Here's the thing though. You could be blacklisted. Dropped from labels & managers, not given any promo, not invited to events, even shunned by fellow artists. Your casual fans could forget you, and you could stop gaining new ones. That kind of fame, is indeed fleeting. You need to be supported by the industry to be a superstar. But to be moderately famous, all you need is a solid fanbase. And Lana has it. She has thousands of hopelessly devoted stans who, as someone here put it, would eat her hot shit if she threw it at them. She could switch to country, trap, she could go full Hillsong and start singing gospel music. They'd still go crazy over her. She'd still be on the receiving end of so much adoration. I don't think she cares about being a superstar anymore, and she's shown that quite clearly. She might enjoy having a loyal following, and she definitely enjoys being famous enough to have famous friends, hanging out with people she used to only see on TV. I can't see her ever going back to her pre-fame obscurity. Her music will always get more attention and praise than it did back then, and I think that might be enough for her. She will always be famous, in some way.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

at the person on chucks post saying "omg, chuck is the reason we get pretty astonishing visuals..." girl what visuals i-

all we have gotten this era so far are re-used clips of lana swingin' around and LA traffic bitch why do people lie like that?

It's as if she doesn't really know who she truly is... yet. Like you said, she's very easily influenced. And this healthy vegan, tesla mom-car lifestyle isn't her suddenly becoming "Elizabeth".. it's just her adjusting to her environment and copying everyone else in LA, so it means nothing. It'll pass. She has so many layers and if she keeps acting different depending on which group she's hanging with... then who actually is she?

I think we're very far from finding out, and we've got a lot more records to come from now. Which is exciting.

Yup. Like, Elizabeth was a teenage alcoholic who sneaked around to do all kinds of wild shit with her friends, and dated sketchy dudes who should be in jail just for dating her. Elizabeth was a Britney Spears, Biggie Smalls and Elvis superfan obsessed with becoming just as famous herself. Elizabeth was a wannabe starlet, a diva in the making, dazzled by Hollywood's glamour.

So maybe this is Betsy or some shit :lel:

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

This era is the worst I’ve ever experienced from any artist and I remember BWET.

I could handle Mazzy Star’s many years between albums because they didn’t make false promises or have staff lash out at fans

What if she puts her new baddie friends in the next music videos she makes like she did with Alex and Ashley  :biblio:

Never mind that would involve her making more music videos which is probably too much to ask 

It’s actually crazy how much we know about Lana’s love life based on her lyrics alone. I mean, I’m sure there’s more to it (things we’ll never know as fans) but I literally don’t think I’ve been this invested in an artist to the point where I treat their songs as a part of their “life story.” That’s actually the one thing I don’t regret about being a Lana stan because you can sometimes pinpoint exactly who and what she was talking about in her songs and that just adds so much more depth to the listening experience.

What if she puts her new baddie friends in the next music videos she makes like she did with Alex and Ashley  :biblio:

it's already enough having 2 girls attempt to eye-fuck the camera let alone 6 more bitches w no organic upper lip and bad roots

I hate it when people comment on Chuck, Charlie, or Robert's social media asking for Lana shit.

It makes me so angry.

giphy.gif

It's very cringe and so rude/entitled omg

EXACTLY!

It's unfair, they are all trying to make a living for themselves -

Charlie is a singer

Chuck is a photographer 

It's infuriating

giphy.gif

True happiness is not having to strive for those things though it's fully realising and appreciating everything about the experience of being alive. It's easy to get hung up on a search for happiness or thinking you're happy because you've realised everything is pointless or whatever.

Obviously humans aren't* infallible though so I imagine it's impossible to live in that pure happiness state 100% of the time. Just got to check in with yourself regularly and allow yourself to be grateful and happy :)

Happiness to me is contentment. Happiness is satisfaction. Happiness is acceptance. I've never believed that happiness is this weird overly euphoric state that pop culture makes it out to be.

There's a song by Johnny Cash called Satisfied Mind, and I think the lyrics describe this whole thing so well.

How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind

Once I was waitin'
In fortune and fame
Everything that I dreamed for
To get a start in life's game