Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

do y’all think NFR will be as critically acclaimed as melodrama was? I’m really not sure and someone is gonna beat me up over this but I think lorde is a better songwriter than lana is (though lana makes up for it by having the voice of a literal angel and better album aesthetics)

anyway lana’s weird lyricism only makes me like her music more. every song lorde puts out has a very clear message whereas much of lana’s music is more about mood, but many critics fail to consider that and rate based on how well the lyrics can convey a message in the song, so lana could falter in that regard

am I making sense?

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

How To Disappear & The Greatest will join Video Games & Old Money as the most sublime and beautiful songs of Lana's career. 

roll with me (on the radio) and scarface isn't hear???

but cereal see, she has so many songs, there are like two hundred that could be considered for most beautiful song.

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

I can`t stop listening the snippets sisters, i`m listening on repeat for at least 20 minutes. SOMEONE STOP MEEEEEEEE

original.gif

Ok I love the How To Disappear production now.. it's kinda refreshing because most of the other songs on the album are very piano heavy so having one with different production is nice tbh 

FzytWEW.png

roll with me (on the radio) and scarface isn't hear???

but cereal see, she has so many songs, there are like two hundred that could be considered for most beautiful song.

Yes technically true but it’s clearly a competition between Roll With Me, Betty Boop Boop, and Delicious :flutter:

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

do y’all think NFR will be as critically acclaimed as melodrama was? 

If her songwriting is as sharp as it was on the first few singles, yes. But sadly that doesn't seem to be the case. 

We all know My Song 57 is Lana's best song sonically, right?

I mean, that professional and celestial production, the strong vocals and quiet harmonies, goddamn :defeated:

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

do y’all think NFR will be as critically acclaimed as melodrama was? I’m really not sure and someone is gonna beat me up over this but I think lorde is a better songwriter than lana is (though lana makes up for it by having the voice of a literal angel and better album aesthetics)

anyway lana’s weird lyricism only makes me like her music more. every song lorde puts out has a very clear message whereas much of lana’s music is more about mood, but many critics fail to consider that and rate based on how well the lyrics can convey a message in the song, so lana could falter in that regard

am I making sense?

She's really not...critics just cut her more slack because of her age and because her lyrics tend to be less blatantly feminine. 

Lana would have been dragged to hell for "she says you love the beach...you're such a damn liar." "those great whites they have big teeth."

do y’all think NFR will be as critically acclaimed as melodrama was?

no. i think she'll probably get more than she has before but i also feel like what's impressive about lorde is how incredible she is given her age. it's cruel and horrible but i think lana's age is also against her in the industry, signed artists are getting younger and younger and i think the pressure to be a 'prodigy' is greater than it ever was

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

Idk if this has been discussed yet, but how do you guys think the songs will be split up over the four sides of vinyl?

I mean, due to song lengths we can already assume where Side A will end, but after that it’s tough to figure out. Each side doesn’t necessarily have to have the same amount of songs or even similar lengths, so it’s worth making some guesses for now.

I’ve been specifically trying to figure out which song I think will end the first disc and which will open the second. Both Honeymoon and Lust for Life surprised me at first with where they ended the first disc and started the second, but ultimately it worked really well based on the outros and intros of those songs.

The track listing for the vinyl has been out as well! :)

no. i think she'll probably get more than she has before but i also feel like what's impressive about lorde is how incredible she is given her age. it's cruel and horrible but i think lana's age is also against her in the industry, signed artists are getting younger and younger and i think the pressure to be a 'prodigy' is greater than it ever was

This is actually very sad

This is actually very sad

i totally agree, but remember billie eilish is flying high now too and she's just 17. the industry has changed hugely and it's highly competitive 

i think a LOT of people forget how lana would be classed as 'old' now when she got famous and she's still doing very similar lyrical content at 34 that she was as lizzy grant at 25. i wouldn't be here if i wasn't a fan but.... realistically? 

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

She's really not...critics just cut her more slack because of her age and because her lyrics tend to be less blatantly feminine. 

Lana would have been dragged to hell for "she says you love the beach...you're such a damn liar." "those great whites they have big teeth."

I don’t see how the lyrics you brought up are bad in the context of the song, but I do agree that critics seem to have a vendetta against feminine lyrics and subject matter, and yes she is (or was) a child prodigy which might cloud the judgment of critics.

With that said, I still believe lorde’s songs improve closer you listen to her lyrics, whereas with lana you have a lot the same phrases and expressions repeated in different songs + repetition in the same song + objects that convey a mood but can sometimes sound like a grocery list. And I’m not saying these things are bad necessarily, they can improve a song by putting more emphasis on her beautiful voice and production!

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

Doin' Time definitely seems misplaced and awkward, but otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with everything! HIADT makes more sense to me now. I still would've loved Venice Bitch as a closer, but I understand why she put it where she did. Most excited for Cinnamon Girl! We're really going to have it in just a few weeks!!!!!

Ok I love the How To Disappear production now.. it's kinda refreshing because most of the other songs on the album are very piano heavy so having one with different production is nice tbh 

Agreed! I thought it was a boring song when we heard the Apple version but now I like it!

Do you know where I can find it? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.

LP 1 Side A
  1. Norman fucking Rockwell
  2. Mariners Apartment Complex
  3. Venice Bitch
LP  1 Side B
  1. Fuck it I love you
  2. Doin' Time
  3. Love song
  4. Cinnamon Girl
  5. How to disappear
LP 2 Side A
  1. California
  2. The Next Best American Record
  3. The greatest
LP 2 Side B

1. Bartender
  2. Happiness is a butterfly
  3. Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it

even Looking For America gets a review from Pitchfork  :defeated: and they love it  :defeated:

I really want it to be released as like a single, maybe even a charity single to go towards like ACLU.