Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

i would just like to say that i can see norman being my fav lana record in the future and i definitely see myself listening to it more than her other albums. right now its still honeymoon but im sure with time nfr will take its place.

giphy.gif

a big reason i don't like lust for life and nfr is this sound of her voice that sounds kinda emotionless and distant. like this paper thing, she just sounds so idk how to describe it but i notice it in these last two albums. it doesn't sound clear and doesn't have the animation that can be found in songs like off to the races and lolita among others and its idk

Her voice has never been clearer than on NFR and she sounds really emotional. But I agree with you for LFL

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

for me, it's honeymoon > norman fucking rockwell > ultraviolence > paradise > born to die > lust for life

but let it be said that I'm actually a huge fan of lust for life and actually have things i like about every song she's ever done (even if it doesn't ALWAYS land well *coachella*)

giphy.gif

cinnamon girl samples radio and fuck it i love you samples lucky ones.. she running out of ideas or what?

Cinnamon was actually the demo title for Radio before Cinnamon Girl was even a track. BTD days. But I think its actually cool that she samples her own stuff, it’s almost showing how she’s changed from when she originally used that track. But no she’s not out of ideas, you know how many unreleased songs she has that she’s reused and changed and how many different versions there are of said songs? Doesn’t surprise me at all actually

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

i was underwhelmed when i first listened to nfr but truth be told i was underwhelmed when i first listened to honeymoon and ultraviolence too and nfr has been slowly growing on me the same way those two albums did

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

PROBS NOBODY IS GONNA READ THIS BUT WTV

Well, I've been reading your comments regarding the album production and I agree on some aspects. sometimes I think it could have been better performed (like the HTD instrumental - the beats and mellotron sounded a lot better on livestream than the final product, I was disappointed) but at the same time I think we're forgetting that this album is for be instructive and deep.

Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are much better produced and that's a fact - the instrumentals are more catchy, her voice looks sexier - but again, that's not the theme of this album ...

I don't think Jack produced too much of her voice to give that idea of closeness. If you pay attention, in HIADTFWLMTH-BIHI you can even hear the sounds of her mouth, the tongue, the diction ... I think it's really to give this idea.

Now you may like it or not, of course. I like and sincerely prefer this kind of organic production more but making up "excuses" (like the microphone is not good, etc) is a bit of a geek. Just her voice didn't go through I don't know how many filters and adjustments. Many may not like it, many may like it ... everyone has their own taste

At the beginning of the era (when MAC and Venice Bitch were released) I had some expectations for this album. I think the lyrics are much better than LFL and I think you can put them on the same level as UV and HM. The production ... well, I like it but I can recognize that, particularly the UV, is much more appealing.

btw sorry if my English isn't the best sometimes   :derpna2:

iv9uXjw.gif

i was underwhelmed when i first listened to nfr but truth be told i was underwhelmed when i first listened to honeymoon and ultraviolence too and nfr has been slowly growing on me the same way those two albums did

okay same i was a tiny bit overwhelmed with nfr (i think bc of how long we waited + how much we had already heard via snippets) but the more i listen to it and the more i let it sit with me in my head, it REALLY grows on me. i thought love song was so underwhelming but i can never get it out of my head it's so beautiful.

giphy.gif

It’s definitely her most adventurous sound wise. You can debate quality all you want but Honeymoon was in NO way experimental or a step out of her comfort zone. Maybe UV was but it’s not that edgy to be rock and roll these days. Quite honestly it’s edgier to go for a softer more mellow sound in a time when pop bangers are served up left and right.

I’ve been tentative about being super positive because I feel like for every person who likes the record there is someone on here that is determined to make people dislike it or point out why positive opinions are wrong or that they are going to change because it’s too fresh. I Listened just once but I know for a fact it’s going to stay my favorite Lana record because it’s the kind of stuff I’ve always dreamed of her doing. Some of y’all are obsessed with Honeymoon and some of y’all are obsessed with UV and I’m feeling good about finally having my own Lana album to consider her peak.

I totally agree. Every time we say NFR is likely our favorite Lana record, the sad souls who live in the past are quick to jump with RECENCY EFFECT!!!! There must be a scientific reason why these idiots who have no ears think NFR is better than her magnum opus and holy bible, UV!!!! (PSA sweethearts, no one is forcing you to declare NFR is your favorite, so stop attacking everyone!!)

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I will repeat myself and say that Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are equally solid albums and that I like them very much, but they're not out of this world masterpieces their stans claim them to be.

So when you see me cyberbullying their stans in the coming weeks, it's not because I don't like those albums, it's because of their delusional stans!

tenor.gif

its so funny that this is the ONLY place where i can find people complaining about this album.

on every other music forum it is unanimous praise even rateyourmusic who is notoriously harsh on her and not exactly a pop-centered forum has given the album the best reviews of her career by far.

yall need to detach a little cause your expectations are always gonna be too high or something

also you can say the thing about recency for this over UV but it works the same way with nostalgia and overhyping UV every time a new record comes out

I will repeat myself and say that Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are equally solid albums and that I like them very much, but they're not out of this world masterpieces their stans claim them to be.

So when you see me cyberbullying their stans in the coming weeks, it's not because I don't like those albums, it's because of their delusional stans!

tenor.gif

i love that gif please keep using it

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

Honestly it's just hilarious how you're always using Honeymoon and Ultraviolence as some sort of leverage to make something that NFR is not.

Which also begs the question, if you don't like these albums all that much, what's got you into Lana, sorry but like you jumped from Born To Die right to L*st for Life? :rip:

Norman Fucking Rockwell is a cute album, but it ain't aaall it. 

We all know that if Lana was not at the receiving end of all that hatred in the beginning of her career she would've had critical acclaims after critical acclaims, and THAT is a fact. 

Exactly. People act like critics are some wandering moses-type figures who speak nothing but truth. Critics have been nothing but horrible to Lana since she came onto the scene as LDR. They hated UV, barely liked HM, and only liked her at LFL. A big part of that is how attitudes towards women like Lana have changed in the past couple of years, but people who can't seem to enjoy an album without trying to tear down her past works don't seem to see that.

locals only

tenor.gif

So which one should be my favorite? LFL? BTD? lol

its so funny that this is the ONLY place where i can find people complaining about this album.

on every other music forum it is unanimous praise even rateyourmusic who is notoriously harsh on her and not exactly a pop-centered forum has given the album the best reviews of her career by far.

yall need to detach a little cause your expectations are always gonna be too high or something

also you can say the thing about recency for this over UV but it works the same way with nostalgia and overhyping UV every time a new record comes out

Yup! No one is forcing them to like it, but to say that this is a "horrible" album is delusional. 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

NFR is leaps and bounds ahead of Lana's other albums. It's not even close. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. 

Are we even listening to the same album?

tenor.gif

Yup! No one is forcing them to like it, but to say that this is a "horrible" album is delusional. 

like its so stupid.

its very in line with the lana aesthetic, so i feel like if you are a fan of lana there is no way that you can hate this? its exactly what you expect a lana del rey album to sound like, its just more refined. you kind of know what you are getting with her at this point so i dont get why some people are like so disgusted and shocked by this lol. 

I feel like in a day or 3 we’ll see more and more people disliking/hating NFR. This always happens. An album drops/leaks, almost everyone loves it, then some people end up disliking it, then suddenly there’s this wave of hate for the album that’s even coming from people who are loving it rn cause people love complaining, and then after that there’ll be mixed opinions with people liking it and people disliking it. Mark my words it will happen.

we’re fully in the cycle right now

qfrWuBl.png