Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

A critic's opinions should not be regarded as fact. Especially when they ignored and slammed her work for years before and never gave her a chance. It's only recently that critics came around and it's unfair to assume that just because it has critical acclaim that it makes it her best album and anyone who thinks otherwise is "delusional". Give it a break. 

WGe8ynS.gif

This thread is filled with so much negativity I can practically touch it, I think I’ll take a break from here and come back for the 1st anniversary of the release.

You're right. We all have different opinions, divisive ones too. We got are emotionally "connected" to her work, and we can quickly become negative towards each other. 

Critics came around when Lana ditched the worst producer of all time, Emile Haynie, and started making good albums. That was already on her second album, so not sure ''recently'' is the right word.

SXeqlYU.png

AjarFailingDog-max-1mb.gif

Born To Die is one of the, if not the most influencial and important debut album by a female artist this decade. It directly influenced a ton of artists: Lorde, Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Troye Sivan, Billie Eillish, etc. It's literally still charting to this day and even higher than NFR. It still sounds fresh. We'll have to see, but I think it's unlikely that NFR will have the same longevity and cultural impact.

Also, Emile Haynie her worst producer? I don't know about that. I've been reading a lot of comments on here, and been in touch with a lot of fans here and elsewhere. People tend to mention Jack's subpar, very champ gauche, style of production. I don't hear people mentioning Emile in a negative way?  :creep:

Born To Die is one of the, if not the most influencial and important debut album by a female artist this decade. It directly influenced a ton of artists: Lorde, Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Troye Sivan, Billie Eillish, etc. It's literally still charting to this day and even higher than NFR. It still sounds fresh. We'll have to see, but I think it's unlikely that NFR will have the same longevity and cultural impact.

Also, Emile Haynie her worst producer? I don't know about that. I've been reading a lot of comments on here, and been in touch with a lot of fans here and elsewhere. People tend to mention Jack's subpar, very champ gauche, style of production. I don't hear people mentioning Emile in a negative way?  :creep:

Are you me? This is the tea right here

Also, Emile Haynie her worst producer? I don't know about that. I've been reading a lot of comments on here, and been in touch with a lot of fans here and elsewhere. People tend to mention Jack's subpar, very champ gauche, style of production. I don't hear people mentioning Emile in a negative way? :creep:

BTD aged like wine, and though I cannot deny the impact that it had, it wasn't THAT good. It was surely something new and fresh back then, but looking at it now, it feels so overproduced compared to UV and HM. But again, I cannot deny the fact that it's iconic. I too find it iconic. It's just simply not the best thing she's done and Paradise is the worst.

And Emile Haynie is such an amazing producer. Wait For Life is one of the weirdest and yet most ethereal tracks Lana has ever sung on. He also worked with Lykke Li, he does nice things with her too.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

There's no denying that Born To Die is one of the most influential albums of the decade that sold tons of copies. But influence + numbers do not equal quality as history has shown us many times before. Many mediocre albums, movies, books, etc. have went on to become influential and successful. 

At the end of the day, Born To Die is a messy, overproduced album that puts style over substance, and will forever be associated with a bad SNL performance, plastic surgery, rich daddy rumors, provocative visuals, and other nonsense. Norman Fucking Rockwell, on the other hand, is just about great music and prestige. Not to mention Lana Del Rey and Norman Rockwell's names will be uttered in front of +20 million viewers next year. If you were an Lana album, wouldn't you rather have the type of legacy and cultural impact NFR is having?.All other Lana albums are super jealous of NFR right now in the same way all actresses are jealous of Meryl Streep!

tenor.gif

There's no denying that Born To Die is one of the most influential albums of the decade that sold tons of copies. But influence + numbers do not equal quality as history has shown us many times before. Many mediocre albums, movies, books, etc. have went on to become influential and successful. 

At the end of the day, Born To Die is a messy, overproduced album that puts style over substance, and will forever be associated with a bad SNL performance, plastic surgery, rich daddy rumors, provocative visuals, and other nonsense. Norman Fucking Rockwell, on the other hand, is just about great music and prestige. Not to mention Lana Del Rey and Norman Rockwell's names will be uttered in front of +20 million viewers next year. If you were an Lana album, wouldn't you rather have the type of legacy and cultural impact NFR is having?.All other Lana albums are super jealous of NFR right now in the same way all actresses are jealous of Meryl Streep!

tenor.gif

Ok Jack

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Born To Die is the Megan Fox of the Lana albums. Ultraviolence is Charlize Theron. Honeymoon is Amy Adams. Lust For Life is some Marvell sellout actress. Norman Fucking Rockwell is Meryl. 

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Wow... I don't think I've ever read something so delusional on this thread. To say that all other Lana albums are super jealous of NFR right now. That's bold JackJared! LFL might be jealous of NFR, but as for the others. I think that they are laughing at this very bold claim!  :creep:

If I were an album, I'd rather have earned the legacy by powering through bad critics because I knew I deserved better, and not be turned into a circlejerk from the very same people that literally shit on me all these years, because they know they missed out on me during my prime.

That's a very interesting analogy you're making here. I would disagree though. Honeymoon (or Ultraviolence for that matter) is more of a Meryl Streep (even better a Katharine Hepburn!) than NFR. The latter is more of a Jennifer Lawrence? Pretty on surface level, but as you dig in a little, there's not much substance to back up the amount of praise she's receiving? So you actually start wondering why are some people so damn obsessed with it? Still waiting for an answer (for both Jennifer and NFR btw).

You're giving way too much creds to award shows and critics alike. Which to me begs the question: where you even a fan of Lana before NFR? I'm legit curious.

Born To Die will remain Lana's most influencial album that is a fact.

(Glad to see that you yet again re-using your gifs, I missed that one!)

i don't think this is the drag you think it is

right?! Megan is actually a pretty amazing actress. It's kinda sad that the industry has shun her.