Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,019 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

it's just SO crazy that the exact things other people hate, i find absolutely brilliant :rip:

Β 

Lmao good for you!Β  :P

I don't think any song on NFR! is sad per se. Lana is so extensive and particular with emotions. I'd rather be more specific. For instance, I find 'hope' as devastating yet, obviously, hopeful. 'The greatest' is shock, brutal, disappointment - it does feel like she's telling the truth. My dad (who doesn't speak English) said the other day "I don't know what she's singing about but it sounds like she's saying something important". I think the "saddest", as in just simple old sadness, is 'Cinnamon Girl'.

Β 

Her saddest tracks I feel are 'Black Beauty' and 'Flipside', among others. There is literally no solution in 'Black Beauty'.

Still Black Beauty feels very light, but I agree

What’s this devotion? You really seem like a good man
Bodies or oceans, I cling to you like your mainland

I don't think any song on NFR! is sad per se. Lana is so extensive and particular with emotions. I'd rather be more specific. For instance, I find 'hope' as devastating yet, obviously, hopeful. 'The greatest' is shock, brutal, disappointment - it does feel like she's telling the truth. My dad (who doesn't speak English) said the other day "I don't know what she's singing about but it sounds like she's saying something important". I think the "saddest", as in just simple old sadness, is 'Cinnamon Girl'.

Β 

Her saddest tracks I feel are 'Black Beauty' and 'Flipside', among others. There is literally no solution in 'Black Beauty'.

I agree with the "sad" songs on NFR being more complex emotionally and more melancholic, but I think that California is probably the most brutal and "typically" sad

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

I agree with the "sad" songs on NFR being more complex emotionally and more melancholic, but I think that California is probably the most brutal and "typically" sad

Β 

Yeah, I think the sadness in 'California' is much more instant. She's like... okay I'm over it, hit me up... while the sadness in 'Cinnamon Girl' is more thoughtful.

Lol are we still with the NFR is lackluster, beige, flat, etc bullshit? Just accept the fact that you guys are just mad cause your personal favorites Lana records didn't get the praise and recognition that NFR got. Period. Bye. Don't @ me.

Β 

Critics are full of shit and echo each other big time and them praising one album over the other doesn't mean shit. It's complete fallacy to pretend that all of sudden critics giving credit to Lana over one album actually means something and the other albums not receiving the same treatment is the reason why people don't like 'NFR'. Look at you acting all matter of factly. If people don't like the production of 'NFR' maybe the production on 'NFR' is that "lackluster, beige, flat, etc bullshit" like you said.Β 

in my opinion, i don't really think any of the songs on nfr are really that sad, i guess you could say hope, but i see hope as more of a numb, apathetic kind of sad feeling. i think the more sad and emotionally driven tracks on the album are more sad in it's tone, as opposed to how it makes someone feel, i don't think the songs on norman fucking rockwell are tearjerkers, of course that's just how i see it. songs that i would consider tearjerkers are peace, yayo, and terrence loves you.

x14CtFn.gifΒ Β 89cxvIN.gifΒ Β BolwSzs.gif

iΒ  h a v eΒ  aΒ  d i s c oΒ  b a l lΒ  m i n dΒ  . . .Β  l i g h t sΒ  f l a s h i n gΒ  a l lΒ  o fΒ  t h eΒ  t i m e

Critics are full of shit and echo each other big time and them praising one album over the other doesn't mean shit. It's complete fallacy to pretend that all of sudden critics giving credit to Lana over one album actually means something and the other albums not receiving the same treatment is the reason why people don't like 'NFR'. Look at you acting all matter of factly. If people don't like the production of 'NFR' maybe the production on 'NFR' is that "lackluster, beige, flat, etc bullshit" like you said.Β 

Β 

for the millionth time, NFR wasn't 'echo-praised' or whatever. people genuinely liked the record the minute MAC was released. it's just that good. yes previous projects were praised too, but with other mixed/biased reviews too. NFR just hit the right button. one thing is to praise an album bc other websites are doing it... other thing is to literally put it at No. 1 or No. 2 on your year-end list. people love NFR. i watched countless reactions on youtube from non-fans and they all were left speechless.

for the millionth time, NFR wasn't 'echo-praised' or whatever. people genuinely liked the record the minute MAC was released. it's just that good. yes previous projects were praised too, but with other mixed/biased reviews too. NFR just hit the right button. one thing is to praise an album bc other websites are doing it... other thing is to literally put it at No. 1 or No. 2 on your year-end list. people love NFR. i watched countless reactions on youtube from non-fans and they all were left speechless.

Β 

Disagree. 'NFR' was echo praised. It's legit overrated. I still firmly believe critics echo each other most of the time, and they definitely did on 'NFR'. I would agree that songs like 'MAC' and even 'VB' were praised upon release, rightfully so I might add, but the rest of the album is quite frankly almost entirely forgettable the production/mastering of the album didn't press any buttons. But this also happens to be Lana's least Lana Del Rey-esque album, on which they tried to incorporate as much "Lana clichΓ©s" but without any sparks whatsoever. This also happens to be her most uneventful and least polarizing album too. No wonder critics praised it as much, they didn't like what Lana had to offer to begin with. Perfect case of an artist having to conform to her most vicious haters in order to fit in.

Β 

The conversations/discussions I've had here with other fans, as well as on other platforms and my friends outside of this community, many of whom have been long time fans, they all tend to say that while this album is indeed good, it's nowhere near the brilliance of her earlier work, it really that beige. Also, I've seen many people comment on the possibility of Lana going back to work with Jack for her next project, and even people that claimed to be fans of the album were skeptical and also quite critical of the idea of Jack and Lana to collab once again.

Β 

Also, didn't you actually dislike the album upon release and were really critical about the whole thing too? I don't know. I mean I remember a lot of your comments about that here and there and I actually befriended you over these comments because I would agree with a lot of what you wrote! Time changes.

Critics are full of shit and echo each other big time and them praising one album over the other doesn't mean shit. It's complete fallacy to pretend that all of sudden critics giving credit to Lana over one album actually means something and the other albums not receiving the same treatment is the reason why people don't like 'NFR'. Look at you acting all matter of factly. If people don't like the production of 'NFR' maybe the production on 'NFR' is that "lackluster, beige, flat, etc bullshit" like you said.

Β 

I agree 100%. There are certainly songs that convey feelings mimicking sadness, such as California (regret), The Greatest (nostalgia), HIAB (longing), and, as you mentioned, Hope, with its apathetic numbness. The only song on the record that I consider to be straight up sad is Fuck It I Love You (which I consider to be the saddest song in her discography).

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

I agree 100%. There are certainly songs that convey feelings mimicking sadness, such as California (regret), The Greatest (nostalgia), HIAB (longing), and, as you mentioned, Hope, with its apathetic numbness. The only song on the record that I consider to be straight up sad is Fuck It I Love You (which I consider to be the saddest song in her discography).

Β 

this is exactly how i feel. 100% on target. like you said it perfectly

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

Disagree. 'NFR' was echo praised. It's legit overrated. I still firmly believe critics echo each other most of the time, and they definitely did on 'NFR'. I would agree that songs like 'MAC' and even 'VB' were praised upon release, rightfully so I might add, but the rest of the album is quite frankly almost entirely forgettable the production/mastering of the album didn't press any buttons. But this also happens to be Lana's least Lana Del Rey-esque album, on which they tried to incorporate as much "Lana clichΓ©s" but without any sparks whatsoever. This also happens to be her most uneventful and least polarizing album too. No wonder critics praised it as much, they didn't like what Lana had to offer to begin with. Perfect case of an artist having to conform to her most vicious haters in order to fit in.

Β 

The conversations/discussions I've had here with other fans, as well as on other platforms and my friends outside of this community, many of whom have been long time fans, they all tend to say that while this album is indeed good, it's nowhere near the brilliance of her earlier work, it really that beige. Also, I've seen many people comment on the possibility of Lana going back to work with Jack for her next project, and even people that claimed to be fans of the album were skeptical and also quite critical of the idea of Jack and Lana to collab once again.

Β 

Also, didn't you actually dislike the album upon release and were really critical about the whole thing too? I don't know. I mean I remember a lot of your comments about that here and there and I actually befriended you over these comments because I would agree with a lot of what you wrote! Time changes.

Β 

Well, this is supposed to be her most human album ever, so... And yes, it's beige. It's literally the aesthetic she was going for :rip: She didn't make this record to please anyone but herself. It's her current state of mind. People liked it. That's it.

Β 

And yes, I was actually thinking of that earlier today. I didn't like the album the week it was released. It was the first time a Lana Del Rey record didn't feel accessible to me as a fan (which is ironic considering some of you guys say this is her most accessible -- UV, "so dark it's unlistenable" impressed me at first listen). But at the days went by I started to like it more and more, and saw the brilliances of it. I still think the things I didn't like are still not that good (the Cinnamon Girl outro, the production on How to disappear, Bartender lyrics, California outro... these were the only 4 things I was actually put off by), but the things that make this album so good are, well, so good and connect to so much to me that it makes it almost absolutely amazing. No album is flaw free (except for a minuscule collection).

Β 

The emotions poured on this album, and the ways they were channeled through, are what make it amazing. Born to Die was desperation and ambition, Ultraviolence depression, hate and self-sabotage, Honeymoon isolation and regret and now NFR! is retrospection, sense of self and hope.

Β 

Huh?

Β 

You genuinely didn't like it from the minute MAC was released. In fact, no one did because MAC was released an entire year before the record, so how exactly did people love the record from the moment MAC was released?

Β 

You change your mind like the wind so I find it really difficult to take posts like this from you seriously.

Β 

I, (and others, I'm sure) remember when you disliked NFR.

Β 

Then you weren't sure.

Β 

Now you love it.

Β 

You disliked the LFL demo.

Β 

Now you love it.

Β 

Like?

Β 

I don't know if you're just indecisive, if you just like to go along with what you think the popular opinion is at any given time, or what ... but you posting something about how it was "good from the start" in a really condescending manner towards another poster is, frankly, laughable.

Β 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Huh?

Β 

You genuinely didn't like it from the minute MAC was released. In fact, no one did because MAC was released an entire year before the record, so how exactly did people love the record from the moment MAC was released?

Β 

You change your mind like the wind so I find it really difficult to take posts like this from you seriously.

Β 

I, (and others, I'm sure) remember when you disliked NFR.

Β 

Then you weren't sure.

Β 

Now you love it.

Β 

You disliked the LFL demo.

Β 

Now you love it.

Β 

Like?

Β 

I don't know if you're just indecisive, if you just like to go along with what you think the popular opinion is at any given time, or what ... but you posting something about how it was "good from the start" in a really condescending manner towards another poster is, frankly, laughable.

Β 

Β 

Um, I never said I don't like the Lust for Life demo?

Β 

Also, if I don't like something at first and then I like or vice versa, that just means I need time with art and also I analyze it and connect it with other things a lot. I can't think of any other situation outside music that I constantly change my mind? I am very fixed. Sorry.

Β 

MAC was representative of the sound of the album. That's what I meant.

Β 

Now, the last thing I want are notifs from you on a NFR! thread :rip: Thanks.

Well, this is supposed to be her most human album ever, so... And yes, it's beige. It's literally the aesthetic she was going for :rip: She didn't make this record to please anyone but herself. It's her current state of mind. People liked it. That's it.

Β 

And yes, I was actually thinking of that earlier today. I didn't like the album the week it was released. It was the first time a Lana Del Rey record didn't feel accessible to me as a fan (which is ironic considering some of you guys say this is her most accessible -- UV, "so dark it's unlistenable" impressed me at first listen). But at the days went by I started to like it more and more, and saw the brilliances of it. I still think the things I didn't like are still not that good (the Cinnamon Girl outro, the production on How to disappear, Bartender lyrics, California outro... these were the only 3 things I was actually put off by), but the things that make this album so good are, well, so good and connect to so much to me that it makes it almost absolutely amazing. No album is flaw free (except for a minuscule collection).

Β 

I still venture to say it's her least interesting album on all regards (and yeah I've listened to 'LFL' and was less than impressed, but at this particular point I almost enjoy it more :rip:) and the overall production of this album is far from impressive. All her albums have highs and lows, but somehow on 'NFR' I find it easier to point out the album's downsides than pinpoint what is actually interesting about the album because there isn't much thought to be given on what I find impressive here to be honest.

I still venture to say it's her least interesting album on all regards (and yeah I've listened to 'LFL' and was less than impressed, but at this particular point I almost enjoy it more :rip:) and the overall production of this album is far from impressive. All her albums have highs and lows, but somehow on 'NFR' I find it easier to point out the album's downsides than pinpoint what is actually interesting about the album because there isn't much thought to be given on what I find impressive here to be honest.

Β 

That is okay. As I said, this is the first album by LDR that I feel divided fans so much. And I actually enjoy that. And, to be honest, I actually enjoy reading your posts (some more than others though, as you repeat some things a lot of times).

Now, the last thing I want are notifs from you on a NFR! thread :rip: Thanks.

Β 

Extremely inappropriate for a moderator, I have to say. You shouldn't be telling people not to post in a given thread just because you don't personally like/agree with them. What the fuck?

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

That is okay. As I said, this is the first album by LDR that I feel divided fans so much. And I actually enjoy that. And, to be honest, I actually enjoy reading your posts (some more than others though, as you repeat some things a lot of times).

Β 

Don't try to fool me though, I remember very well you implying I was more annoying than another (obviously and objectively) more annoying user than me on this very thread. Glad you've once again changed your mind and think my posts are interesting to read though.Β  :)

Extremely inappropriate for a moderator, I have to say. You shouldn't be telling people not to post in a given thread just because you don't personally like/agree with them. What the fuck?

Β 

I didn't say I don't want you to post. Why would I? I just find that none of our previous discussions or conversations were fruitful, let alone this one. We don't get along, neither do our ideas.

Don't try to fool me though, I remember very well you implying I was more annoying than another (obviously and objectively) more annoying user than me on this very thread. Glad you've once again changed your mind and think my posts are interesting to read though.Β  :)

Β 

Yes, I did find you annoying at first (Not that I don't anymore though). I don't have to hide it... But at least you speak from a fan perspective, and that's what made me enjoy your posts more. It's just honest.