Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I think the Billie Eilish album has the creative unpredictability, carefree attitude and fun of LDR’s early work, and the production is pristine. ‘I Love You’ is better than everything on NFR, which I still find largely, but not completely, redundant, clunky and flaccid. Billie deserved to win.

As much as I also like Billie Eilish music (with her brothers help) she took all the awards. She already has a big collection - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Billie_Eilish

That is NOT fair to all the other artists who never got an award.

They should have more awards to give out or invent new categories to give out more awards. 

BTW, Lana also has a nice collection of awards... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Lana_Del_Rey

Except that some have weird names, like the "Xbox Entertainment Awards" LOL   :P   Hey man, I still use my old Playstation. Where is THAT award?

Lanaboards.com could make her a cool trophy and give it to her ! That would be cool

-

82748273_174998303757068_845884596249394

DeficientTotalArachnid-size_restricted.g

I think the Billie Eilish album has the creative unpredictability, carefree attitude and fun of LDR’s early work, and the production is pristine. ‘I Love You’ is better than everything on NFR, which I still find largely, but not completely, redundant, clunky and flaccid. Billie deserved to win.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't say that Billie deserved to win, I was not that impressed with "when we fall asleep, where do we go?", I mean it's not the type of music I'm prone to listen. But I will admit that there is definitely a carefree attitude which is clearly lacking in Lana's work past Honeymoon. Lana these days she seems to be very, almost too cautious with the scope of her words and how they are going to be interpreted. 

Nevertheless, I completely agree with your views on NFR.

This is gonna be so strange to say, so bear w me here. Has anyone watched Inception? U know that scene where Marion Cotillard is stuck in their apartment, as Leo goes up w Ellen Page, and she's just there? The grammy's reaction gives me those vibes. Except I think she doesn't really mind, and her fans do more. Which! Is great- but I'd rather be on the elevator. 

I think its because Lana symbolizes loss AND hope during a generation, as to how she inspires many artists today, but at the same time, no one else can really do it like her. It makes me sad, since it seems like she's fading out from pop culture, but thing is, she's always just been there, as if she were ready to kinda just be w and mingle w the past thru her work, and how she is. I genuinely enjoy that about her. Would I LOVE? for her to do some Britney Spears space sexy disco? Hell yes! But what I also appreciate about her, ironically, is how her cultness, gives you a choice. It's not loud, definitely misunderstood, but it's caring enough to guide you when you need it. If any of that past sentence makes any coherent sense- what I'm trying to say is, her humanity and meekness, make me appreciate her more as an artist and person. and I like how her music is more like a guide than suffocation. I think it's important and that more artists should be like her in that way, where she's strong enough to be herself, do what she wants, and have new fans come to her. 

Maybe I just like the subtle works of it all, but really, I'm glad she's not fame hungry. We're not even famous and I'd like to think we're at least aware of how perilous that can be. Like, she's more of a Kylie Minogue than Madonna, and I think it's great. 

UV/Honeymoon

I wouldn't say that Billie deserved to win, I was not that impressed with "when we fall asleep, where do we go?", I mean it's not the type of music I'm prone to listen. But I will admit that there is definitely a carefree attitude which is clearly lacking in Lana's work past Honeymoon. Lana these days she seems to be very, almost too cautious with the scope of her words and how they are going to be interpreted.

Nevertheless, I completely agree with your views on NFR.

MXDH, for me LDR hasn’t been carefree since Paradise. UV and HM wee definitely not carefree albums to me—she was already inhibiting herself and, IMO, trying to be someone she’s not, or trying to project an inauthentic persona that she thought would make her more credible to the critics who matter. So Marilyn Monroe tried to convince the world she was Meryl Streep.

BE may also become pretentious and decide she’s an artiste down the road, but her album was loose, unlabored and unpredictable, unlike the vacuum-packed, badly-written and largely horribly-produced NFR.

CG was no classic, but I still can’t believe how LDR and Antonoff ruined it and made it far less than it could have been. They embalmed it.

I don’t care for about half of the BE record, but it has LIFE, whereas NFR kissed all the right PC asses and is mummified.

MXDH, for me LDR hasn’t been carefree since Paradise. UV and HM wee definitely not carefree albums to me—she was already inhibiting herself and, IMO, trying to be someone she’s not, or trying to project an inauthentic persona.

BE may also become pretentious and decide she’s an artiste, but her album was loose, unlabored and unpredictable, unlike the vacuum-packed, badly-written and largely horribly-produced NFR.

CG was no classic, but I still can’t believe who she and Antonoff ruined it and made it far less than it could have been. They embalmed it.

I don’t care for about half of the BE record, but it has LIFE, whereas NFR kisses all the right PC asses and is mummified.

I do not agree that Lana was projecting "something she's not" on all her records post Paradise, I feel like Lana def tries to project someone she really isn't on ALL her albums, but to each their own. We've talked about this before, to me, she's an artist, she makes stuff up, glamorizes/tweaks her story, blurs the line between real and the fake, and that's what makes her interesting (at least on BTD, UV and HM), she creates a different story, a universe on each record.

But like I said in my previous posts, we have very, very similar views regarding NFR and its weaknesses. 

As much as I also like Billie Eilish music (with her brothers help) she took all the awards. She already has a big collection - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Billie_Eilish

That is NOT fair to all the other artists who never got an award.

They should have more awards to give out or invent new categories to give out more awards. 

BTW, Lana also has a nice collection of awards... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Lana_Del_Rey

Except that some have weird names, like the "Xbox Entertainment Awards" LOL   :P   Hey man, I still use my old Playstation. Where is THAT award?

Lanaboards.com could make her a cool trophy and give it to her ! That would be cool

The grammys tend to do that sadly, dump a bunch of awards on whoever wins AOTY (and in general). Sooo many photos of people with grammys lined up their arms. 

I wish Ben and Co. would be alright with that, that would be sweet. I think the best trophy we feasibly can give her is love and support :) 

locals only

Some of the things y'all post :rip: damn

----

She won Biggest Liar at the 2020 Lipsters Awards already :creep: Though budget was low this year so there is no physical trophy.

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Lana never intended to become famous in terms of doing TV shows, or even awards shows.

Y’all have to understand that she’s only about her music. The bling around it doesn’t mean anything to her. As long as Interscope pays her sessions; she’s fine.

There’s not a single song in her official discography that isn’t good. She constantly delivers quality music

The fact that I‘ve been listening to her since 2011 is incredible. Usually I’m not attached to artists for such a long time since the music gets?“boring“.

when is the "Norman Fucking Rockwell Super DELUXE Edition coming out" ?

We want to hear all of those studio outtakes and extra songs which never made the album.

giphy.gif

Plot twist: there's a version of "NFR!" out there properly produced and mastered and fully baked:flutter:

Plot twist: there's a version of "NFR!" out there properly produced and mastered and fully baked:flutter:

AHAH ! I knew it !

It will be a perfect story for the next "Ocean´s 8" part 2 film !

In the next film, the girls will steal from the secret vault - LANA`s secret recordings !  :D

-

Just before the release of NFR I dreamt that Lana released it early and that is was a FULL blown hillbilly country album lol. I'm very glad that wasn't the case in reality. Obviously.

It's been a while since I was active here and I'm surprised to see that some of you (maybe not in this thread though) seems to... almost slander poor Norman? :creep: I thought almost everyone was sooooo happy with this record, haha. Anyway, to me Norman is STILL tHAT Fucking bitch.

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy