Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

You guys Hope don’t deserve that !!!!its one of her best lyrics wise and the sad end we all needed in this album... love song is still the worst song off this album imo, last time I listened to her was about September ~*~

i couldnt agree more oh wow

image.png

The « holy trinity » of NFR (for cohesiveness and storytelling) is Love song, Cinnamon Girl and How to Disappear. The story of someone falling in love, hoping to not be hurt again but finding out the guy disappeared is just so good. The string arrangement on the three songs (is it the Melotron?!?) is just so perfect. Also love the « bookend » duo that is Fuck It I Love You and the Greatest : the rush and the descent, with the two love stories in between (California and TNBAR really are about Barrie).

It’s just a near-perfect album.

That would be awesome if she released the music video for Love song on Valentine’s Day. It’s a Friday so it’s even better!

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

.. love song is still the worst song off this album imo, last time I listened to her was about September ~*~

probably the ugliest thing ive read here on this website

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I went back to listen to the album after almost a month of not listening to a single songs off of it... I still stand by what I wrote on here.

The album is just not that interesting to me, the production and sound of the album is very poor in comparison to all of Lana's previous work (even Lust for Life at this point). I don't see the lyrics as being that superior, Honeymoon still has the outstanding lyricism in my view. Songs like The greatest, Venice Bitch, MAC and the title track (even though I can't stand Lana going off key in the second pre-chorus and that cheap/tinny poorly recorded piano) are still the best songs on this album. The rest of the album is quite frankly almost entirely forgettable.

I simply do not care for Lana DIY/amateur wannabe vagabond poet from the Valley approach to her art on this era, it's uninteresting, plain and characterless.

The first time I heard mac I was upset and annoyed by how digital, fake, and manufactured the production sounded idk something was just off for me. I love the song now and I don’t really notice it, but sometimes I still do. In general this album just doesn’t do it for me and I’m really disappointed :/ I listened to it a few times when it came out just to hear it but I haven’t ever craved to hear a song off of it or wanted to replay it that much. I miss the dreamy glamour and drama from her previous albums and how movie-like they used to feel, I guess that’s part of the problem for me this album is so grounded in reality (I don’t want to hear anyone sing the word iPad ever in any context lmfao) that I miss the escapism I used to feel when I listened to her. Inch rested to hear the spoken word album and whf still but like..... idk. I feel bad lol . I don’t mind her doing what she wants and I’m not asking her to cater to my specific wants I’m just sharing my thots on a discussion board before anyone comes 4 me

She seemed to really enjoy the Midwest on tour so I wouldn’t be surprised if that shows in white hot forever and tbh I’d be here for it. Maybe something similar to aka

UbsOye5.png

Crackheaded Wednesday NFR thoughts:

I really like MAC and VB but she put them out so far in advance that they don't really feel like they belong. Maybe I'd feel differently if we hadn't had them so early.

I also really like Bartender and California, but again, I don't feel like they belong with the rest of the songs.

TNBAR sounds like it should've been on LFL.

In my mind, it's a really haphazard album. I think it makes LFL seem cohesive in comparison.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Why is this thread so silent... Wasn't it supposed to be the best album ever released? Even with her lost Grammys and that NME awards, where you at hardcore NFR stans?  :creep:

After some thought I've realized that this album is never gonna be exactly what I want it to be but I appreciate what it has to offer and it is potentially in my trinity of her albums. The title track is really growing on me, i've always LOVED mac and venice bitch, fuck it I love you is also a standout for me. How To Disappear and Happiness is a butterfly have surprisingly aged well for me while Cinnamon Girl and bartender, two of my initial favs, are aging kind of poorly. I really really wish she hadn't put TNBAR on the album, it's very much a drag and the pacing would be better without it. I also do really enjoy hope, and i like it even more as a closer to the project

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

I wrote an entire essay about how much this album is still not it to me, but it's whatever. NFR is still not it to me and the production is still bland and lifeless as far as Lana records go. I still don't care for Jack's input in here. Not interesting or groundbreaking in the slightest. I'm glad he enjoys his company in the studio, but I'll never get the appeal. Also this thread is dead.

Thank you for coming to me TED Talk.

Edited by MXDH

it still feels weird that we have cinnamon girl and love song (aka, forever in our hearts, “in your car”). like we all were dying for so long waiting for the full songs in hq.. and now we’ve officially had them for months and i still can’t believe it.

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

it still feels weird that we have cinnamon girl and love song (aka, forever in our hearts, “in your car”). like we all were dying for so long waiting for the full songs in hq.. and now we’ve officially had them for months and i still can’t believe it.

the snippets of both of those songs were more satisfying to me than the final products. It would be nice though if she wrapped up the era with a video for one of those songs since they seem to be fan favorites

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

On 2/18/2020 at 9:50 PM, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

we were literally dying for “cinnamon” :crai:

The title track is weak and half-baked send post

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif