Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Exactly. Don't even bother rationalizing with these mentally unstable losers, who all live in their parents basements blasting Sad Girl as they wait for their Hot Pockets to come out of the microwave. First they loved it, then they switch like *******. They're just going to have to suffer with the reality that NFR! is her most critically acclaimed for a reason, and Lana won't be shooting up methamphetamines and getting with Barrie any time soon.

Β 

There's a huge difference between wanting Lana to stick to her Sad Girl persona, and wanting her to actually make music worth listening too, with good production and mixing values, and not sound so damn cheap and amateur-ish on what is supposed to be (and this is based on some mentally unstable losers here) her so called magnum opus? You're basically saying that everyone that didn't think NFR was that great are all Sad Girl boys, doing drugs and wishing Lana was still with Barrie, I cannot with your delusional ass. I ain't living in anyone's basement no more, sis.

I couldn't care less what critics have to say about Lana's music, the critics that have "praised" Lana on NFR, are the very same critics that have been disregarding her since the very beginning. Their words don't mean much, just saying. Also aren't you the fan that comes here just to shit on all her albums and say the words "magnum opus" like 11240749 times day? Aren't you tired too?Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

BTD: 62 (deserved for being a disingenuous, shallow, and inauthentic record)

UV: 74 (deserved for having a pretty shitty second half, but now we said it)

Β 

NFR!: 87 (magnum opus, authentic, stripped away from the LDR persona)

Β 

Are YOU tired?Β 

tenor.gif

There's a huge difference between wanting Lana to stick to her Sad Girl persona, and wanting her to actually make music worth listening too, with good production and mixing values, and not sound so damn cheap and amateur-ish on what is supposed to be (and this is based on some mentally unstable losers here) her so called magnum opus? You're basically saying that everyone that didn't think NFR was that great are all Sad Girl boys, doing drugs and wishing Lana was still with Barrie, I cannot with your delusional ass. I ain't living in anyone's basement no more, sis.

You all pretty much tell on yourselves when you scream, cry, and throw tantrums about wanting Rick Nowels (who produced her worst record LFL and worst song on NFR) and that hack Dan Auerbach back. Get over it.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β 

BTD: 62 (deserved for being a disingenuous, shallow, and inauthentic record)

UV: 74 (deserved for having a pretty shitty second half, but now we said it)

Β 

NFR!: 87 (magnum opus, authentic, stripped away from the LDR persona)

Β 

Are YOU tired?Β 

tenor.gif

Β 

LMAO

Β 

I honestly dare you to find a single negative Born To Die review/critique that doesn't mention that:

Β 

a) Lana's career was either "paid" by her father and/or she's a manufactured artist made the "the music industry"

b) That Lana tried to get into the music several times before, but it never took off.

Β 

I don't know how long you've been a fan, I'm guessing you're pretty fresh into the fandom, but up until Lust for Life, every single one of Lana's critics were tainted with hatred and resentment against her, there was very little talk about the music, so for you to quote these Metacritic scores as proof of Lana's so called excellence on NFr, that's just baffling, irrelevant and quite frankly hilarious.

Β 

You can say all you want, but bottom line NFR, is literally her least interesting album from a production point of view, it sounds flat, dry, and very unequal, and that piano sounds hella tonny, so much for Lana's magnum opus uh?

Β 

d84oPKf.gif

LMAO

Β 

I honestly dare you to find a single negative Born To Die review/critique that doesn't mention that:

Β 

a) Lana's career was either "paid" by her father and/or she's a manufactured artist made the "the music industry"

b) That Lana tried to get into the music several times before, but it never took off.

Β 

I don't know how long you've been a fan, I'm guessing you're pretty fresh into the fandom, but up until Lust for Life, every single one of Lana's critics were tainted with hatred and resentment against her, there was very little talk about the music, so for you to quote these Metacritic scores, that's just baffling and irrelevant.Β 

Β 

You can say all you want, but bottom line NFR, is literally her least interesting album from a production point of view, it sounds flat, dry, and very unequal, and that piano sounds hella tonny, so much for Lana's magnum opus uh?

Β 

d84oPKf.gif

Β 

ok nfr is a bad album to you, but why are you trying to convince us?

ok nfr is a bad album to you, but why are you trying to convince us?

Β 

I'm not.

Β 

Just tired of people shitting on all her other albums, because we just a got a fresh one. Literally disregarding all the other producers Lana worked with? That's just dumb to me. Not saying Jack is a bad producer per se, he did some great work with Lorde, St. Vincent and even TSwift, but with Lana I just don't get how they made something that sound lackluster at times. Sorry.

LMAO

Β 

I honestly dare you to find a single negative critics that doesn't mention that:

Β 

Β 

I don't know how long you've been a fan, I'm guessing you're pretty fresh into the fandom, but up until Lust for Life, every single one of Lana's critics were tainted with hatred and resentment against her, there was very little talk about the music, so for you to quote these Metacritic scores, that's just baffling and irrelevant.Β 

Β 

Β 

d84oPKf.gif

Dan Auerbach is a hack now, Rick Nowels has lost the plot, what's your point? That's right, you have none. You can pull up all of the reviews you want, because I've been following her since pre-BTD, just like you have, dear! Just because you've done methamphetamines and talk about daddy issues, does not an interesting artist make! Let's all thank NFR! for putting this fact into perspective!

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β 

I'm not.

Β 

Just tired of people shitting on all her other albums, because we just a got a fresh one. Literally disregarding all the other producers Lana worked with? That's just dumb to me. Not saying Jack is a bad producer per se, he did some great work with Lorde, St. Vincent and even TSwift, but with Lana I just don't get how they made something that sound lackluster at times. Sorry.S

So you are insulting peoples favorite albums because they are insulting yours? People have different tastes, get over it

Dan Auerbach is a hack now, Rick Nowels has lost the plot, what's your point? That's right, you have none. You can pull up all of the reviews you want, because I've been following her since pre-BTD, just like you have, dear! Just because you've done methamphetamines and talk about daddy issues, does not an interesting artist make!

Β 

When did all these assumptions about me doing drugs and wanting Lana to stick to this Sad Girl persona come from? I mean it was enjoyable and interesting for her first two albums? But I don't enjoy the misery of others and very much appreciate artistic growth, honey. You're clearly missing the point here. I have literally said nothing about the lyrical content of her new album, I love the direction she took, it's more mature and interesting than singing about doing drugs and having daddy issues for sure. I'm literally always mentioning the production/mixing and mastering of this album. The production of this album was deliberately bad and the mastering is atrocious, that's it.

Β 

giphy.gif

Lana was the one who wanted that sound for NFR. It's not Jack's fault. He did exactly what she wanted. Have you heard Taylor Swift "Lover" album? Jack produced Taylor's album too and I can tell, the mix and sound quality of the album is superb. Lots of bridges, instrumentals and great mix in "Lover".

Β 

This is like when Chuck works with other artists, the results are gorgeous but when she works with Lana, it's boring.

Β 

We can yell at Chuck and Jack until we're blue in the face but it's not their fault for how NFR sounds or why the photos or video look boring. Blame Lana.

Β 

Β 

Yep, this drives me so crazy!

Β 

Reading this article about "Lust for Life":Β https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-lana-del-rey-lust-life

Β 

"But she’s in the room for much of the process, and incredibly meticulous about vocal levels, for example. A lot of the vocal rides are dictated by her. She hears 0.2dB differences in volume, and when we got the first mastered songs back, she was really dismayed by how they sounded, and it turned out to be the dithering down from 24-Β to 16-bit that was bothering her! She has great ears and an impeccable sense of aesthetic."

Β 

That is not someone who would just give Jack a free pass and stand for sloppy production. Jack has proven himself with other artists. For better or worse, its all intentional (or intentionally uncorrected).

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

When did all these assumptions about me doing drugs and wanting Lana to stick to this Sad Girl persona come from? I mean it was enjoyable and interesting for her first two albums? But I don't enjoy the misery of others and very much appreciate artistic growth, honey. You're clearly missing the point here. I have literally said nothing about the lyrical content of her new album, I love the direction she took, it's more mature and interesting than singing about doing drugs and having daddy issues for sure. I'm literally always mentioning the production/mixing and mastering of this album. The production of this album was deliberately bad and the mastering is atrocious, that's it.

Β 

giphy.gif

It's because you're pretending like Dan Auerbach and Rick Nowels will somehow have made NFR this excellent, masterfully produced and mixed record, when for one, all of Dan's music post UV has been trash, and second of all, Rick Nowels produced her WORST album. Both in lyrical content and mixing/production. If the mixing was SOOOOO terrible as you claim it to be (it's not), i'm sure someone well versed in music would have pointed that out as a legitimate gripe.Β 

Β 

It's because you're pretending like Dan Auerbach and Rick Nowels will somehow have made NFR this excellent, masterfully produced and mixed record, when for one, all of Dan's music post UV has been trash, and second of all, Rick Nowels produced her WORST album. Both in lyrical content and mixing/production. If the mixing was SOOOOO terrible as you claim it to be (it is), i'm sure someone well versed in music would have pointed that out as a legitimate gripe.Β 

Β 

Well Dan Auerbach has made incredible music, Yours, Dreamily was a great record! And also I don't know where all this hate for Rick Nowels comes from? Yeah Lust for Life was pretty bad, but Honeymoon is literally her most beautiful record production wise? Rick Nowels is chameleon like, he's been a producer or co-producer on pretty much all her records, he just goes along to get along.

Β 

Why do you always go back to some "critics are always right!!1!" rhetoric? Can't you form your own damn opinion about an album and its production??

Well Dan Auerbach has made incredible music, Yours, Dreamily was a great record! And also I don't know where all this hate for Rick Nowels comes from? Yeah Lust for Life was pretty bad, but Honeymoon is literally her most beautiful record production wise? Rick Nowels is chameleon like, he's been a producer or co-producer on pretty much all her records, he just goes along to get along.

Β 

Why do you always go back to some "critics are always right!!1!" rhetoric? Can't you form your own damn opinion about an album and its production??

I have formed my own opinion, before the critics even shared their reviews with the world. You're the one who has been trying to make your opinion objective for the rest of us for the past month! We're all tired of it, so why am I not allowed to use critics to back up my argument? Why is the opinion "THE PRODUCTION AND MIXING IS SO TERRIBLE" not the general consensus of anyone else besides a few individuals? So you're telling us we're all forcing ourselves to like an album that has terrible production because of critics? What sense does that make, when 90% of us listened to the record before reviews even came out?

Β 

I have formed my own opinion, before the critics even shared their reviews with the world. You're the one who has been trying to make your opinion objective for the rest of us for the past month! We're all tired of it, so why am I not allowed to use critics to back up my argument? Why is the opinion "THE PRODUCTION AND MIXING IS SO TERRIBLE" not the general consensus of anyone else besides a few individuals?Β 

Β 

I mean we're quite a lot of people here, and Instagram, and twitter, and Reddit that think the production is quite lackluster and the mastering is a little off? Guess what? We're both tired of each other, but we're all part of the same fandom and we all have the right to our different opinions. Get used to it. Besides you're allowed to go on and on about how we're all crackheads that live in our mom's basement and listen to Lana's Sad Girl songs from her Sad Girl days on a loop, and that just because we don't like the production of this record? Sorry, but I've never made gross assumptions based on the kind of music some fans here like to listen to, let alone call anyone a drug addict or made fun of their living situations. You tried.

Β 

The production and mastering is still terrible though.

I mean we're quite a lot of people here, and Instagram, and twitter, and Reddit that think the production is quite lackluster and the mastering is a little off? Guess what? We're both tired of each other, but we're all part of the same fandom and we all have the right to our different opinions. Get used to it. Besides you're allowed to go on and on about how we're all crackheads that live in our mom's basement and listen to Lana's Sad Girl songs from her Sad Girl days on a loop, and that just because we don't like the production of this record? Sorry, but I've never made gross assumptions based on the kind of music some fans here like to listen to, let alone call anyone a drug addict or made fun of their living situations. You tried.

Β 

The production and mastering is still terrible though.

You're the one who needs to get used to it. It's called being facetious. If you really think that I believe you're a crackhead who lives in your Mother's basement, then that really reflects more on you than it does on me. I just don't believe you're used to being challenged, and that's fine, but I won't let you dominate the thread with YOUR assumptions about everyone else.Β 

Β 

my only problem with the production on the album is with hope.

i genuinely cannot believe there is a single soul who can truly enjoy this trash of a song.

I think the production was poor. I think the song should have been more elevating and orchestral. Seen a performance of it on XFactor by someone else and it really shown how better it could have been. It is an overrated song by the fan base IMO.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

my only problem with the production on the album is with hope.

i genuinely cannot believe there is a single soul who can truly enjoy this trash of a song.

I agree. It really didn't need to be so stripped down

Β 

You're the one who needs to get used to it. It's called being facetious. If you really think that I believe you're a crackhead who lives in your Mother's basement, then that really reflects more on you than it does on me. I just don't believe you're used to being challenged, and that's fine, but I won't let you dominate the thread with YOUR assumptions about everyone else.Β 

Β 

You tried again LMAO. Girl, I know you're facetious, and if you think for one second I cannot be challenged than you are even more delusional than I thought you were. I've literally been having arguments with the same three stans on here for like a month. I honestly don't mind going on about this forever, because I genuinely believe the production of this album is somewhat terrible. Also, how some people are using critics (that up until Lana started smiling on the cover of LFL, they literally hated/trashed anything she would do) as some sort of proof that Lana has become a musical genius on NFR alone, is really less than smart.

Β 

It's so funny how you talk about me "dominating" the thread with my assumptions about other stans when you're literally the one doing that, while that might've been facetious, that was still dumb assumptions on your part. I have never made assumptions about anyone here, I literally just write about what I think of the production of this record, nothing more. Now you can either chose to ignore my comment and go on with your life or you can answer me till the end of time, but rest assured I will always find time to answer your comments kindly.Β  :flutter: