Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I agree. As far as mood albums go I feel that Honeymoon is vastly superior. It has a distinct theme, yet all of the songs stand out individually. To me, almost all of the songs on NFR tend to blend into each other, and the ones that do not are somewhat jarring.

I really think TNBAR would've fit better on LFL, and I love Bartender, but it also seems out of place.

I don't think it's a bad album but I also don't think it's her best. to. She described it in many different ways prior to its release, but probably the most accurate remark she made was when she said it was good music to drive to. It's good background music, but it's not the type of album I'd lie on my bed, stare at the ceiling, and listen to.

I wonder if I'd like it better if she hadn't shared so much of it on insta, and hadn't made us wait so long without any news, though.

I agree with you so much, not saying that NFR is a bad record. It definitely holds its own in today's music landscape. But, like you said, Honeymoon feels vastly superior as a mood album, and I even venture to say that Honeymoon feels vastly superior, period. For the life of me, I just cannot enjoy the production on NFR, it feels so lifeless and bland. I don't know what happened when they produced and mixed this album, but something definitely got lost.

It's funny to me how Lana talks a big game about Jack's musicianship, but I don't think that this actually comes through on this album. For a couple days now I've been listening to a couple songs on this album on my way to work and school... here's a few thoughts. The title track, it's a beautiful song, but I don't know with what kind of microphone the piano part was recorded but it sounds hella cheap (weird cheap reverb with each piano notes...), also the same goes for the mixing of her vocals, and I hate how it gets super subdued/muted towards the end with the "bluuuue" it was actually time for this song to come through both intrumentally and vocally, but it all goes into oblivion... choices. This is probably the biggest let down for me on this album btw, I mean, in some songs the instrumentals have this "high school band" vibe, like on The greatest, although it's one of my favourite songs on the record, the instrumentals sound really distorted and the instruments themselves sound messy. Also, I understand that a lot of people regard Venice Bitch as one of her best songs, and while I really like it, I just don't feel like the 6 minutes instrumentals adds much to the song. Just really weirdly recorded guitar licks and the "woah wha-ever, wha-ever, beautiful" or whatever. I'm not going to pretend like this song is a masterpiece just because it's 10 minutes long. It just has this really dry/flat tone that I cannot get my head around, it lacks bass and beats (except on Cinnamon Girl and How To Disappear), but as for the rest of this album it's flat.

All in all, I don't want to give a bad/negative review of each songs on this record, but to me I don't know what was the intention for this album, but either Jack sucks as a producer, or the intent for this album was to make it sound lazy/cheap. 

Glad that a lot of people are enjoying it, and it's definitely a step above Lust for Life, but to me Lana's mystery/mysticism and slick production has been gone since Honeymoon, and it is a bummer.

maxdenhaag

Also, I understand that a lot of people regard Venice Bitch as one of her best songs, and while I really like it, I just don't feel like the 6 minutes instrumentals adds much to the song. Just really weirdly recorded guitar licks and the "woah wha-ever, wha-ever, beautiful" or whatever. I'm not going to pretend like this song is a masterpiece just because it's 10 minutes long. It just has this really dry/flat tone that I cannot get my head around, it lacks bass and beats (except on Cinnamon Girl and How To Disappear), but as for the rest of this album it's flat.

Think of it this way: what would VB have been without the six minutes of instrumentation? I think Jack or someone said, "It's not much of a song as it is, we'll have to do something to beef it up." I agree 100% about the dry/flat tone. 

Every time I log in and check this or White Hot Forever thread, I always find the same 3 people either trashing Jack or trying to discredit NFR and elevate Honeymoon.   :lmao: 

All propaganda with no basis in reality! 

elevate Honeymoon.   

When it's already on top?  :hooker:

Every time I log in and check this or White Hot Forever thread, I always find the same 3 people either trashing Jack or trying to discredit NFR and elevate Honeymoon.   :lmao:

You're literally a Jack Antonoff stan like... is that what you mean by "All propaganda with no basis in reality! "?

You can smack talk all you want Jared, we don't need to "elevate" Honeymoon as it already sits atop her discography. Also you're a Jackoff Stroganoff stan like???

You can smack talk all you want Jared, we don't need to "elevate" Honeymoon as it already sits atop her discography. Also your a Jackoff Stroganoff stan like???

Honeymoon is not that good.

giphy.gif

I just saw another list of Grammy submissions and this one is different that the first one we got.

Lana del Rey

Norman Fucking Rockwell (album): AOTY, Pop Vocal Album

Norman Fucking Rockwell (song): ROTY, SOTY, Pop Solo Perf

Doin Time: Best Music Video

Woman: AR Perf

giphy.gif

I just saw another list of Grammy submissions and this one is different that the first one we got.

Lana del Rey

Imagine not submitting California for ROTY

(These are the real submissions confirmed by a Recording Academy Member)

Lana del Rey

hmmm.. i like nfr (song) don’t get me wrong but,, there were better choices to be made

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

Lana del Rey

Wasn’t the first one from last week/earlier this week fake?

i am so sorry if this has been asked already.. but are the spotify and CD versions of FIILY different, or am i crazy..

Yes, they are. All versions of the song is different on CD and vinyl compared to Spotify and the audio for the double music video.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

If you think the very obvious volume increase in HTD was "carefully chosen and placed" to create a "retro and timeless" sound, then there's nothing more to say. 

There are glaring technical errors that are not conducive to creating a "retro and timeless" sound. They're  mistakes, and anyone with experience in sound production knows it. 

Whatever, though. If it's you love it then good for you. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

If you think the very obvious volume increase in HTD was "carefully chosen and placed" to create a "retro and timeless" sound, then there's nothing more to say. 

There are glaring technical errors that are not conducive to creating a "retro and timeless" sound. They're  mistakes, and anyone with experience in sound production knows it. 

Whatever, though. If it's you love it then good for you. 

Suddenly all these mistakes and amateur-ish mishaps are considered like purposeful artistic decisions? I mean, at this point they will just say whatever to try and elevate what was a very lackluster album production and mixing and try to make it sound deep and artistic. Looking back at her previous albums, that's just baffling, even Lust for Life was more intricate in some regards (just on a production point of view to be clear).