Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Hi guys, finally I can post again! 

I was thinking about something... I think California is for Francesco Carozzini. He lives in Italy, right? "if you come back to america";;; he is a magazine photographer, right? "I'll pick up all of your Vogues and all your Rolling Stones"

She and Jack did fine (my reference is an Amazon autorip, from having just bought the CD there). It's going to take me a while to process this album, but I suspect it's going to be as good as her others, in addition to being a "normal" departure from her other albums in not repeating an album style. I'm supposing a Leonard Cohen/Simon&Garfunkel type of album style and (way) more folk than rock was intended, and I think she succeeds quite well. There are lots of innovative flourishes, character-driven vocals, crisp production elements to keep interest and make it not a ponderous pureblood folk album. Given this album, it makes perfect sense that she stans Weyes Blood and Father John Misty.

I'd (first-impression-wise) describe the production as ethereal/schmaltzy/NewOrleans/dirge with its horns, strings, and piano, at least at times. I'm not hearing (at least on first listen) some of the flaws in Jack's production people have noted. I like DT being there (as the HBTBesq song that nevertheless fits in, and the video is cute AF). I like the wacky x subdued production on HTD (i.e., she didn't have room for another strict piano ballad, imo). TNBAR did seem re-produced to me (albeit with the same ideas from the demo), and the lyric change reflects a change of meaning for the song that I'll just have to think about. The demo seems quite vindicative; the released is definitely more conciliatory. Either way, I'm just glad it's there (i.e., a quality leak officially made it to her released discography, about 200 more to go). Wondering if the Bar t-t-t tender guy is related to the Quiet Waiter guy (probably not, because I suspect the Quiet Waiter is Jesus, but I'll leave that for another post). No vocal-monologue observed on the last track, which I think is a very fitting closer.

I’ve finished listening to the album.

Highlights: Mariners Apartment Complex, Venice Bitch, Fuck It I Love You, Doin Time, Love Song, Cinnamon Girl, The Greatest, Hope

Need another listen: Norman Fucking Rockwell, California, Bartender

Not sure what to think: How to Disappear (what the fuck are those bells?), The Next Best American Record (I don’t think I like the new lyrics), Happiness is a Butterfly (something feels off, like its disjointed. I need to listen again)

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

Did you guys used to watch Dylan (Will Not Participate)'s reactions? His where the best, I really wish he would react to this one, but he's only doing movies now

i miss him too, he was hot  :defeated: