Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

The Ultimate, Decade-End Lana Del Rey Ranking (NOW: VIDEOGRAPHY, Vote p.13)

Not to be homophobic or anything but Terrence Loves You, Venice Bitch, Shades Of Cool, Cruel World and The Greatest deserve top 5

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

EXCUSE MEEE??? THE MASTERPIECE, GROUNDBREAKING, HEAVENLY, INNOVATING, EXPLOSIVE, ORGASMIC, MOODY SOC IS NOT IN THE TOP 10???? And it's topped by fucking Cinnamon girl, a track that already aged like spoiled milk!!!! 

No...This is canceled and the top 10 is not relevant anymore

I really can't wrap my mind about it either, SEVERAL choices were made and they were not the right ones

8nl2OpX.png

It's nice to see that Pawn Shop Blues get a higher place. But I think I'm the only who like Cinnamom Girl (it aged pretty good for me) but it's not better than Shades of Cool !!

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

It's nice to see that Pawn Shop Blues get a higher place. But I think I'm the only who like Cinnamom Girl (it aged pretty good for me) but it's not better than Shades of Cool !!

For me it's a lot better than shades of cool.

For me it's a lot better than shades of cool.

I guess this an unpopular opinion

Cinnamon Girl is a really good song but for me the vocals , the instrumentals and the bridge made Shades of Cool better for me at least

Though I love her aha-aha vocals in Cinnamon Girl a lot

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Everything, Whatever... The 10 Best Songs By Lana Del Rey of the 2010s!

10. "Yayo" from Lana Del Ray (2010)

LanaBoards has chosen the extremely romantic "Yayo" as the best song from Lana Del Ray and the Lizzy Grant era in general.

9. "California" (2019)

This Norman epic has been a classic since its release and surprised everyone despite the low expectations. The fact that it directly references Ultraviolence also makes this an instant fan favorite. "California" depicts a celebrity's love for a foreign ex-boyfriend and her will to do anything for him to come back -- the only condition is that this love story has to take place in the State of California, currently burning and suffering from anthropogenic global warming, but still being, at least politically speaking, the safest land in America.

8. "Born to Die" (2011)

The title track of this legendary album represents everything that era had to offer to the world and the culture.

7. "Ride" (2012)

This soul ballad from Paradise has been an anthem for those souls in search of identity and security outside oneself, and even if most of us that've been here since day 1 have matured and grew up, it still hits us hard.

6. "Venice Bitch" (2018)

The most acclaimed Lana Del Rey song in the past few years -- polarizing as it is loved, "Venice Bitch" is objectively a tune that will pass the test of time.

PARADIXO's commentary: This is her best song. The lyrics, the melody, the message, the production, the instrumentation, the context...

5. "Video Games" (2011)

Her debut single obviously had to take a high spot in this ranking and is, there isn't any doubt, one of her ten best songs ever. Perhaps it is the simplicity of it that makes it so special, because it opened the door to an extremely unique, rich, different and tasteful world of sound and imagery.

4. "Off to the Races" (2012)

As I said, "Video Games" opened the door for many, and most of us (I daresay none of us) expected to experience such intensity, uniqueness, darkness, texture and emotion in pop music. "Off to the Races" is despair in itself.

3. "Brooklyn Baby" (2014)

Another song with a cult-like following, "Brooklyn Baby" has something for everyone: its summery, catchy melody, sarcastic lyrics, easy yet layered instrumentation, otherworldly vocals and captivating structure. Even if it sits proudly at No 3, I believe it still is one of her most underrated songs.

2. "Black Beauty" (2014)

The epic depression of "Black Beauty" has touched the hearts of everyone, especially if experienced live. "Black Beauty" is, as the other Ultraviolence bonus tracks, a gem that is needed to listen to if one wishes to understand the complexity of Del Rey's state of mind back then. Physically painful, it also features some of her best lyricism of her entire career: the concept of her painting everything black, from her clothes to even the sky, only to make her depressive, black-soul of a lover feel a little understood, is brutally magnificent.

1. "West Coast" (2014)

Surprisingly as expectedly, an Ultraviolence track sits at the top of this 125-track ranking. "West Coast" was the first time the world started to pay much more attention to Lana Del Rey as an artist, rather than a celebrity or an "industry puppet". Its crystal-clear production, directed by the one and only Dan Auerbach from the rock band The Black Keys, organic instrumentation, iconic tempo-shift, heavenly harmonies, flawless mix of psychedelia, indie rock, reggae, desert rock and dream pop and heat-emanating atmosphere make Del Rey's most adored song of the decade and, possibly, of all time, until a track just as fine appears during the 2020s.

---

Note: "hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it" got extremely low ratings and it wasn't even going to make the top 100, which I (and I'm sorry if this is problematic) find unfair and simply untrue. So it has its own spot. Okay bye.

Not gonna lie..the top 10 could be worse. The majority in it deserves it to be in the top ten and West Coast is definetly a fucking bop

OiUHEXQ.jpg

80. "Body Electric" (2012)
I'd like to believe the live version is the reason this even had a chance to enter the Top 100.

I'm actually not mad about that, it's only really amazing live with the sort of demonic guitar.

Everything, Whatever... The 10 Best Songs By Lana Del Rey of the 2010s!

10. "Yayo" from Lana Del Ray (2010)
LanaBoards has chosen the extremely romantic "Yayo" as the best song from Lana Del Ray and the Lizzy Grant era in general.

9. "California" (2019)
This Norman epic has been a classic since its release and surprised everyone despite the low expectations. The fact that it directly references Ultraviolence also makes this an instant fan favorite. "California" depicts a celebrity's love for a foreign ex-boyfriend and her will to do anything for him to come back -- the only condition is that this love story has to take place in the State of California, currently burning and suffering from anthropogenic global warming, but still being, at least politically speaking, the safest land in America.

8. "Born to Die" (2011)
The title track of this legendary album represents everything that era had to offer to the world and the culture.

7. "Ride" (2012)
This soul ballad from Paradise has been an anthem for those souls in search of identity and security outside oneself, and even if most of us that've been here since day 1 have matured and grew up, it still hits us hard.

6. "Venice Bitch" (2018)
The most acclaimed Lana Del Rey song in the past few years -- polarizing as it is loved, "Venice Bitch" is objectively a tune that will pass the test of time.

PARADIXO's commentary: This is her best song. The lyrics, the melody, the message, the production, the instrumentation, the context...

5. "Video Games" (2011)
Her debut single obviously had to take a high spot in this ranking and is, there isn't any doubt, one of her ten best songs ever. Perhaps it is the simplicity of it that makes it so special, because it opened the door to an extremely unique, rich, different and tasteful world of sound and imagery.

4. "Off to the Races" (2012)
As I said, "Video Games" opened the door for many, and most of us (I daresay none of us) expected to experience such intensity, uniqueness, darkness, texture and emotion in pop music. "Off to the Races" is despair in itself.

3. "Brooklyn Baby" (2014)
Another song with a cult-like following, "Brooklyn Baby" has something for everyone: its summery, catchy melody, sarcastic lyrics, easy yet layered instrumentation, otherworldly vocals and captivating structure. Even if it sits proudly at No 3, I believe it still is one of her most underrated songs.

2. "Black Beauty" (2014)
The epic depression of "Black Beauty" has touched the hearts of everyone, especially if experienced live. "Black Beauty" is, as the other Ultraviolence bonus tracks, a gem that is needed to listen to if one wishes to understand the complexity of Del Rey's state of mind back then. Physically painful, it also features some of her best lyricism of her entire career: the concept of her painting everything black, from her clothes to even the sky, only to make her depressive, black-soul of a lover feel a little understood, is brutally magnificent.

1. "West Coast" (2014)
Surprisingly as expectedly, an Ultraviolence track sits at the top of this 125-track ranking. "West Coast" was the first time the world started to pay much more attention to Lana Del Rey as an artist, rather than a celebrity or an "industry puppet". Its crystal-clear production, directed by the one and only Dan Auerbach from the rock band The Black Keys, organic instrumentation, iconic tempo-shift, heavenly harmonies, flawless mix of psychedelia, indie rock, reggae, desert rock and dream pop and heat-emanating atmosphere make Del Rey's most adored song of the decade and, possibly, of all time, until a track just as fine appears during the 2020s.

---

Note: "hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it" got extremely low ratings and it wasn't even going to make the top 100, which I (and I'm sorry if this is problematic) find unfair and simply untrue. So it has its own spot. Okay bye.

I am ok with this tbh. 2020 is uncanceled. 

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

1. "West Coast" (2014)

Surprisingly as expectedly, an Ultraviolence track sits at the top of this 125-track ranking. "West Coast" was the first time the world started to pay much more attention to Lana Del Rey as an artist, rather than a celebrity or an "industry puppet". Its crystal-clear production, directed by the one and only Dan Auerbach from the rock band The Black Keys, organic instrumentation, the iconic tempo-shifts, the heavenly harmonies, flawless mix of psychedelia, indie rock, reggae, desert rock and dream pop and heat-emanating atmosphere make Del Rey's most adored song of the decade and, possibly, of all time, until a track just as fine appears during the 2020s.

AS IT FUCKING SHOULD.

West Coast is a fucking masterpiece probably the first and only Lana Del Rey song I've been obsessed with from the actual first listen. This song is just on a whole other level and has yet to be outmatched by Lana, her most atmospheric song perhaps. It's also, in my honest opinion, her best promotional single ever released. I can't believe she did that. The production is fucking perfect and pristine.

Everything from: the instrumentals, actual properly recorded hazy bass and guitar riffs, her brilliantly layered vocals, the subtle hitches in her voice, the dreamy and ethereal way she sings:"your love, your love, your love" before the now iconic tempo shifts, the beautiful and languorous 12 strings guitar, the way she sings those sensual, yet contemplative lyrics, the backing vocals that sound like a fucking mermaid call AND the sorta Kill Bill siren that comes in during the second chorus almost like a second voice to add to the already dramatic, melancholic and intoxicating feeling of the song. The chorus just keeps on going in crescendo only to end quickly and abruptly leaving you feeling punch-drunk and wanting more: THEIR FUCKING MINDS. Every time I listen to this song at around 3:20, I kid you not, I lose all sense of self.

Dan Auerbach is a fucking G E N I U S of a producer and his input on Ultraviolence is L E G E N D A R Y and boundary pushing for Lana! Finally some taste on LanaBoards!

That was a mess and a half, but a really fun one

Thank you so much @@PARADIXO for taking your time to deliver this fun ranking, I really appreciate it

I can't even imagine the amount of meltdowns you had to endure alone while organizing this, I'd really appreciate If you could post the @ of the users that through their vote enabled such unfair positions for a lot of amazing tracks, that would be lovely, I just want to have a talk :creep:

8nl2OpX.png

Alright, the top 10 is still very good and my SOC wounds are half healed. Thanks Paradixo for making such a cool project and giving us some serious meltdowns at the beginning of the new decade lmao, this was pretty fun

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

71eFWW-RCLL._SX355_.jpg

So, now that we're at it, these are her albums ranked.

Songs inside the top 10 earn 10 points

Songs inside the top 20 earn 5 points

Songs inside the top 50 earn 3 points

Songs inside the top 100 earn 1 point

Songs outside the top 100 take off 1 point

7. Lust for Life - 8 points

6. Lana Del Ray - 21 points

5. Honeymoon - 23 points

4. Paradise - 30 points

3. Norman Fucking Rockwell! - 47 points

2. Born to Die - 49 points

1. Ultraviolence - 63 points

Also not one Honeymoon song in the top ten... choices. Sorry but Happiness is a Butterfly and Fuck It I Luh Ya breaking the top 50 over Terrence Loves You and The Blackest Day. Lethal injections!

Thanks @@PARADIXO for this very interesting project/thread!

5. Honeymoon - 23 points

4. Paradise - 30 points

Sure, Jan.  :awk:

8nl2OpX.png

Also not one Honeymoon song in the top ten... choices. Sorry but Happiness is a Butterfly and Fuck It I Luh Ya breaking the top 50 over Terrence Loves You and The Blackest Day. Lethal injections!

As much as I like Fuck It I Luh Ya, I agree it doesn't deserve its spot.

71eFWW-RCLL._SX355_.jpg

5. Honeymoon - 23 points

4. Paradise - 30 points

MY HOLY TRINITY.  :flutter: