Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

1 minute ago, Elsemarie159 said:

Maybe what Lana meant with a surprise release is that before the 5th there will be no cover or tracklist reveal, no snippets, no promo, no singles, etc. so that the music itself will be a surprise. Of course that makes now no sense with the TJF snippet :makeup:

Then again, the surprise release was something she wishes to maybe do LAST YEAR. Did she change her mind? Was Interscope on board with that when she announced it? 
the only thing that stayed the same is that she wanted a “small era” this time around. 

4 minutes ago, VioletBunny said:

Weren’t some vinyls/cassettes only available in Europe and not the US? Or vice verse?

I got my UO vinyl a couple of days after release. I don’t buy cassettes, so I’m always a bit behind on those news. The shipments in America weren’t super fast from her store, If I recall correctly. 

7 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

She doesn’t care for a number 1 album at all, but I wonder if they still do, which was something they always wanted, based on their official promo statements (“She reached number last year with LFL”, “the number one album UV”, etc.). Even with Norman, they had their hopes up I guess and it didn’t happen at all. She’s doing well over streaming Over time, she got critical acclaim with Norman... I don’t know if they “changed their strategy” with her or not. 

I'd agree that she definitely doesn't seem interested in the numbers anymore, even during Honeymoon promo when she kinda admitted High By The Beach was the song to please the label. Lust For Life was probably some sort of compromise between her and the album to prove she could still score top 40 hits and #1 albums. And honestly, I don't think they would've been so chill with NFR! if it wasn't for Jack's inclusion (I don't agree with this but having a successful male producer onboard probably made the project more appealing to her label). 

But even with NFR! her team pushed signed copies, signed poster bundles, multiple vinyl variants etc in order to get a hit album! So yeah, I know Lana can be unreliable and often misleading but I think the label will definitely want to cash in and try make this album a success.

6 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

For Norman, everything was available on release (and sometimes way before lol).

for LFL, vinyls weren’t ready on release. Don’t know about the cassettes. The CD were ready too on release day (this is how we got our HQ leaks that time around: a store sold them two or three days before schedule). 

6 minutes ago, VioletBunny said:

Weren’t some vinyls/cassettes only available in Europe and not the US? Or vice verse?

I know for me, here in the UK. The Lust For Life CD and cassette arrived on release day, the LP and box set were delayed however. And again, with NFR! everything was delivered on release day and the CD and LP were available in my local hmv that week too.

10 minutes ago, UltraHeroin said:

Do you guys think she said september 5th because the album is actually coming on the 4th and that would be her ''surprise release''? :rip:

I'm sure she's just bad with dates and thought that was a Friday:toofloppy:0

5 minutes ago, bored said:

I'd agree that she definitely doesn't seem interested in the numbers anymore, even during Honeymoon promo when she kinda admitted High By The Beach was the song to please the label. Lust For Life was probably some sort of compromise between her and the album to prove she could still score top 40 hits and #1 albums. And honestly, I don't think they would've been so chill with NFR! if it wasn't for Jack's inclusion (I don't agree with this but having a successful male producer onboard probably made the project more appealing to her label). 

But even with NFR! her team pushed signed copies, signed poster bundles, multiple vinyl variants etc in order to get a hit album! So yeah, I know Lana can be unreliable and often misleading but I think the label will definitely want to cash in and try make this album a success.

I think I remember reading that Dan Auerbach said the label hated his mix of Ultraviolence and forced Lana to meet with some more pop producers, but the pop producers didn’t want to change anything so the label ended up putting out Dan’s version. 

edit: so yeah, I think the label cares about success a lot more than Lana 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

All she said about the surprise release was "I feel like it probably will be a surprise release sometime within the next 12 or 13 months."  Not exactly a commitment for a full surprise. I don't think announcing the date or sharing one snippet changes the fact that she wants the music and the release to be quiet and relatively surprising. I still think we're getting it early September.

@GeminiLanaFan as for the upcoming September releases:

04.09.20 - Bill Calahan, Billy Ocean, Boy & Bear, Declan McKenna, Hannah Grace, Hurts, Hardy, The Pineapple Thief, San Cisco, Scott Helman, Tricky, Wonho and Yelle.

11.09.20 - Niki, Everything Everything, The Flaming Lips, Marilyn Manson and Vika And Linda.

18.09.20 - 10 Years, Alicia Keys, Ava Max, Gus Dapperton, Keith Urban, Max, Napalm Death and Yusuf / Cat Stevens.

25.09.20 - 2 Chainz, Ayreon, Carrie Underwood, Idles, Joji, Machine Gun Kelly, The Neighbourhood, Roisin Murphy, Sufjan Stevens, SuperM, Sylvan Esso and Tim Heidecker

I'm kinda unsure which of these artists would be considered competition for Lana...

I’m kind of glad she gave the date I think we’d still be obsessing over the 12-13 month comment if she didn’t.. like every day throughout September I’d be waking up craving a surprise drop. 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

2 minutes ago, bored said:

In the past, her number 1 records gave her lots of liberties with the next album. UV went number 1 despite the “pressure” from her label to have a more “single” song. After that, she could pull out HM, her vanity project, and the interviews during that era reflect that she had lots and lots of creative liberties... But it’s still one of her weakest when it comes to numbers. With LFL, we know she sat down with the label to discuss the sound and more importantly, the singles of this era. The album went number 1... which brings us to Norman. Jack on board was the big “promo” for the label. They both seem to have had lots of creative liberties, even if the pre-release was endless. The month before, with all the “intense promo” there was and with the different variants, it smelled like “we are pushing this album”... which debuted at number 3. But came the critical acclaim and it is still doing great over time. So where does that bring us, I terms of strategies for Chemtrails? I have no fucking clue lol 

3 minutes ago, DCooper said:

All she said about the surprise release was "I feel like it probably will be a surprise release sometime within the next 12 or 13 months."  Not exactly a commitment for a full surprise. I don't think announcing the date or sharing one snippet changes the fact that she wants the music and the release to be quiet and relatively surprising. I still think we're getting it early September.

My thoughts exactly 

5 minutes ago, VioletBunny said:

I’m kind of glad she gave the date I think we’d still be obsessing over the 12-13 month comment if she didn’t.. like every day throughout September I’d be waking up craving a surprise drop. 

If she had said nothing about Chemtrails since last year (no album name, no date, just cryptic Lana posts), I wouldn’t even be bating an eye. She is not good when it comes to her time management (NFR was supposed to be released top of the year, as we all know). But a solid date, an album title, three mentions already of TJF: I’m on the edge of my fucking seat. 

3 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

So where does that bring us, I terms of strategies for Chemtrails? I have no fucking clue lol 

Following on from the success and acclaim of NFR! I'd imagine she'd be back to where she was in late 2014, the label allowing her more freedom and hence the quick turn around with the release of Chemtrails... (kinda like a Honeymoon 2.0 situtation). Obviously, Lana herself is in a different place when it comes to her career and she isn't required to do to the radio promo, magazine interviews etc. Or even stuff like singles and music videos, obviously the visuals are nice to have as a fan, but I think everybody knows now that Lana is an albums artist and I think she's happiest just dropping music and kinda leaving it. She doesn't even seem to enjoy performing the new material on tours.

My only thing is, I can't imagine Interscope supporting all of this without something in return? Likelihood is, this album won't go #1 and they must know that. There's not gonna be a smash single and I mean are we gonna get a tour next year? I dunno where the cancellation of the NFR! tour left her, when it comes to live gigs etc. But yeah, the only thing they're gonna get from this is probably some acclaim (depending on the music) and money! 

The money comes from sales! I'm just struggling to believe that they're gonna let Lana just drop an album on streaming randomly and then wait for physical copies to be printed etc.

Also, lets say Nicole Nodland is back on the scene and was shooting the album art with Lana last week etc. I imagine that would be more costly than Chuck and her iPhone? It seems like the label could potentially have intervened and who knows whats happening behind the scenes.

It's in their best interest to make this album a success, there could be a potential delay in order to film last minute things like visuals, trailers etc. And to get physical copies printed and ready to go.

4 minutes ago, bored said:

Following on from the success and acclaim of NFR! I'd imagine she'd be back to where she was in late 2014, the label allowing her more freedom and hence the quick turn around with the release of Chemtrails... (kinda like a Honeymoon 2.0 situtation). Obviously, Lana herself is in a different place when it comes to her career and she isn't required to do to the radio promo, magazine interviews etc. Or even stuff like singles and music videos, obviously the visuals are nice to have as a fan, but I think everybody knows now that Lana is an albums artist and I think she's happiest just dropping music and kinda leaving it. She doesn't even seem to enjoy performing the new material on tours.

My only thing is, I can't imagine Interscope supporting all of this without something in return? Likelihood is, this album won't go #1 and they must know that. There's not gonna be a smash single and I mean are we gonna get a tour next year? I dunno where the cancellation of the NFR! tour left her, when it comes to live gigs etc. But yeah, the only thing they're gonna get from this is probably some acclaim (depending on the music) and money! 

The money comes from sales! I'm just struggling to believe that they're gonna let Lana just drop an album on streaming randomly and then wait for physical copies to be printed etc.

The pandemic situation sure changed the game, with the tours being cancelled. 

I see her touring as a compromise with Interscope. Summer festivals bring in lots of money for a short set made mostly of “greatest hits”. Maybe this is why she doesn’t do much of the newer stuff on stage. And even when it’s an arena tour, you’re right, she doesn’t do much of the new songs (she even forgets the words to some of the longest, which is shame... Forgetting the greatest?!?? Come on).

you made valid points about the cash different formats would bring in. Thanks :) 

2 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

The pandemic situation sure changed the game, with the tours being cancelled. 

Yeah, obviously all live shows scheduled were cancelled due to the pandemic, but didn't Lana cancel her tour before that? I'm pretty sure she had a sold out UK tour and she cancelled in like February? Obviously it wouldn't have went ahead either way but I dunno whether that will effect her bookings in the future or whether it will be forgotten. And I agree, that festivals are definitely the best scenario for her. 

And as for the money thing, Interscope have given her a lot of freedom and that's something some artists would die for, but when you like at what her peers are doing, Billie Eilish, Selena Gomez and Lady Gaga for example (I know they're more pop / mainstream than Lana) but they're all signed to the same label and Gaga is of a similar age. Both Gomez and Gaga have had #1 albums this year with #1 singles attached. And both albums were well received. They're surely gonna expect some element of success and return from Lana.

I can’t wait for the moment when do finally see the cover and tracklist. It really does suck right now, the uncertainty, but I do feel confident we will get the album this year, and when we finally get confirmation of that the shared joy we will feel will be powerful.:die: