TrailerParkDarling

Sky Ferreira

1 hour ago, KillForLove said:

Sky would have needed to turn Masochism into the label for it to actually be "gone". It doesn't seem that Masochism ever really existed in a a physical sense. Songs like Downhill Lullaby, Don't Forget, Descending, etc. were recorded and intended for it, but it doesn't seem like the album was ever completed or even put together. As far as ownership rights, she signed as a 15 year old who was singing Bloodshy & Avant demos so it's likely that whatever deal she signed did not include her owning her masters. She would probably still be able to use the name Masochism, since the label doesn't own conceptual album titles.

Assuming that she does not own her masters it most likely means they're owned by the label (as is most cases when the artist doesn't own them), however, that enters a kind of weird (legal) grey area. Capitol would technically have the rights to any songs she wrote/recorded during that time, however, the label would only really have claim to the songs that she turned in (this would include rough demos), meaning if certain songs weren't played live before she left, and were never sent to the label, she has plausible deniability on whether she made them "after". Because this is a legal grey area, most labels don't bother chasing down artists for those songs because its not worth the money in legal battles/optics.

There's also the case of Tinashe who hired an entertainment lawyer after RCA finally approved release of Joyride in 2018 after four years. The album tanked and she recorded a batch of songs with Hitmaka for a project called Nashe which RCA said they wouldn't release. The entertainment lawyer (who I believe was a UCLA professor, like her dad) was able to negotiate (with the threat of a lawsuit) that Tinashe was able to leave the label with those songs, which eventually ended up on her independent release, Songs For You.

I guess my point here is that those songs could be gone, but they also might not be. That may be the reason she stopped playing the new stuff live, to cover her ass from the label when she does drop them. I'd say Downhill Lullaby and Don't Forget are probably gone though. I would maybe throw Descending in there but who knows that might be safe.

honestly i don't think she has any plausible deniability whatsoever, it would be pretty easy to prove when songs were made especially if she has been performing them for years. if randos in this thread have figured it out then i doubt it would be any issue for a legal team. if she's recently stopped performing them it's probably because she's realized they're never going to come out. her entire frustration has been that the music exists and that capitol just won't let her release it, whether or not this is true it is contrary to any legal argument that it was not made while she was under contract. even if she said that any existing songs were entirely self funded, like you said her contract is probably iron clad and capitol would probably still retain ownership.

i think there's sufficient evidence to suggest that she probably assumed, worst case scenario, she would lose whatever masters she had and could simply rerecord

11 hours ago, iconiclogan said:

i saw her again tonight and she was amazing per usual and i met her after and got a pic. she took the time and spoke to everyone one on one it was so sweet. she’s rly great live

so this happened, and NONE of the people there tortured her with questions about certain something? no one asked anything and wanted actual answers? :rip:

her fans are just as weird.

sometimes i think about how her career could’ve been if she released cry baby.. like soooo many problems wouldn’t have happened

Cry Baby (2011)

Night Time, My Time (2013)

Masochism (2015)

Sadism (2017)

BDSM (2019)

WE WERE ROBBED:trisha:

the last rancid girl in a rancid world

tumblr_o12wrv5btd1qj2b14o1_500.gif

and i don't seem to mind

2 hours ago, melodrama said:

so this happened, and NONE of the people there tortured her with questions about certain something? no one asked anything and wanted actual answers? :rip:

her fans are just as weird.

I’m sure a lot of fans don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable by asking something they know she doesn’t want to answer in person making it very awkward

that being said, there was one fan who posted about meeting her on Reddit and said:

She chatted with my friend and I for maybe 5-10 minutes and revealed a lot of information I had no clue about. I don’t feel comfortable sharing some of it - but here’s what I’m fine with sharing: We chatted about Mariah Carey and her Christmas concert (no, she didn’t get to go, she’s super upset btw), Madonna’s Celebration Tour and her fabled cover of “Live to Tell” which is coming… “Soon!””

like why include that tidbit then??? pick me behavior if I’ve ever seen it

if she ever comes to my state on one of these tours i’ll definitely try to meet her and get info😭selling info for masochism outtakes:trisha:

and i don't seem to mind

6 hours ago, KillForLove said:
Spoiler

Sky would have needed to turn Masochism into the label for it to actually be "gone". It doesn't seem that Masochism ever really existed in a a physical sense. Songs like Downhill Lullaby, Don't Forget, Descending, etc. were recorded and intended for it, but it doesn't seem like the album was ever completed or even put together. As far as ownership rights, she signed as a 15 year old who was singing Bloodshy & Avant demos so it's likely that whatever deal she signed did not include her owning her masters. She would probably still be able to use the name Masochism, since the label doesn't own conceptual album titles.

Assuming that she does not own her masters it most likely means they're owned by the label (as is most cases when the artist doesn't own them), however, that enters a kind of weird (legal) grey area. Capitol would technically have the rights to any songs she wrote/recorded during that time, however, the label would only really have claim to the songs that she turned in (this would include rough demos), meaning if certain songs weren't played live before she left, and were never sent to the label, she has plausible deniability on whether she made them "after". Because this is a legal grey area, most labels don't bother chasing down artists for those songs because its not worth the money in legal battles/optics.

There's also the case of Tinashe who hired an entertainment lawyer after RCA finally approved release of Joyride in 2018 after four years. The album tanked and she recorded a batch of songs with Hitmaka for a project called Nashe which RCA said they wouldn't release. The entertainment lawyer (who I believe was a UCLA professor, like her dad) was able to negotiate (with the threat of a lawsuit) that Tinashe was able to leave the label with those songs, which eventually ended up on her independent release, Songs For You.

I guess my point here is that those songs could be gone, but they also might not be. That may be the reason she stopped playing the new stuff live, to cover her ass from the label when she does drop them. I'd say Downhill Lullaby and Don't Forget are probably gone though. I would maybe throw Descending in there but who knows that might be safe.

That's why I think she barely delivered the album to them, she knew it would be a loss. She spoke on the podcast a few years ago that the record label didn't know about the album at all. I think someone in here before said that she sent Downhill Lullaby, Don't Forget, Descending, Innocent Kind(?) and another song? I don't remember it properly but as you said, it could be gone but it could not.

Sometimes I wonder, why we didn't get Guardian release? 

Well just have to wait and see but the thing is: we've been waiting and waited a LOT

I thought she was going to speak up on this tour but maybe she's free and can not talk about it.

I loved her work in twin peaks some of her best work

im too scared to watch the green inferno I remember watching the clip where they use a shell to gouge out someones eye??? :derpna3: when I was young and no thank you! im good!

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

19 minutes ago, joeboe30 said:

sky eras tour when :hoe:

a good one hour exactly show

1 hour ago, DownhillLullaby said:

That's why I think she barely delivered the album to them, she knew it would be a loss. She spoke on the podcast a few years ago that the record label didn't know about the album at all. I think someone in here before said that she sent Downhill Lullaby, Don't Forget, Descending, Innocent Kind(?) and another song? I don't remember it properly but as you said, it could be gone but it could not.

Sometimes I wonder, why we didn't get Guardian release? 

Well just have to wait and see but the thing is: we've been waiting and waited a LOT

I thought she was going to speak up on this tour but maybe she's free and can not talk about it.

these posts have me thinking a lot that maybe capitol records WAS shady and that’s why she wasn’t turning shit in? 

and i don't seem to mind

10 minutes ago, rancidgirl said:

these posts have me thinking a lot that maybe capitol records WAS shady and that’s why she wasn’t turning shit in? 

As of 2020 she was unable to name who her manager was so I still think the overall delay has a lot more to do with her than the label, and she also just didn't want them to profit off what she saw was only "her" art.

8 minutes ago, lovemooch said:

cry baby

wild at heart

ghost

night time my time

masochism

cry baby - 30 min

wild at heart - 30 min

ghost - 30 min

night time my time - 1 hr

masochism - 1 hr

looks like a 3.5 hr show to me :true:

6 hours ago, rollwithme said:

I’m sure a lot of fans don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable by asking something they know she doesn’t want to answer in person making it very awkward

She made those fans wait for over 10 years and constantly lied to their faces... :rip:

16 hours ago, rollwithme said:

She chatted with my friend and I for maybe 5-10 minutes and revealed a lot of information I had no clue about. I don’t feel comfortable sharing some of it

16 hours ago, rollwithme said:

pick me behavior if I’ve ever seen it

I can't stand people who are like this. The "I know something you don't know" game isn't cute when you're past the age of 7. I've got acquaintances who work in education and healthcare, and it's so obnoxious when they start with the "Oh I've got this student/Oh I've got this patient, man I wish I could tell you about them, but, gosh darnit, I can't talk about it ha ha, but oh man was it something but gosh I just can't say it..." I just look at them like "??? Are you too stupid to anonymize the story? Or do we really feel like gatekeeping some mid af tale about a kid eating paste or a patient shitting the bed?" It's...really not that hard or serious.

In this case, it's just weird to be gatekeepy about a musician talking with fans after a show. This is one of those instances where it's like....Sky's a public figure. Talking with the public. After a public show. I would think there's an understanding and awareness on her side that nothing she says to people is something that is going to stay confidential/she shouldn't share anything that's supposed to be confidential.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

11 hours ago, joeboe30 said:

cry baby - 30 min

wild at heart - 30 min

ghost - 30 min

night time my time - 1 hr

masochism - 1 hr

looks like a 3.5 hr show to me :true:

and she won't be there for 2.5 hours of that