Carmen

Favourite Lana Lyrics

"just do what you love, just do what you can" is so powerful imo. It gives me reassurance I'll be okay lol~

"Lost but now I am found

I can see but once I was blind

I was so confused as a little child"

"I'm all smiles but inside I frown"

And all of YGLM :(

VyIsfwC.jpg

'It's the voodoo Mississippi south, 69 million stars. Birds are flying out of my mouth, spirits creeping in my yard. Hold my head, it's tilting back'

'But it's better to know all you can know, I said it's nice to love and be loved but I'd rather know what God knows'

'Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea, summer hail and summer stranger. Baby, he's in constant danger. Help is very far' :legend: 

and..

'I'm a drag and you're a whore'  :hooker:  :diva: 

"Don't be afraid of me, don't be ashamed.

Walk in the way of my soft resurrection.

Idol of roses, iconic soul. I know your name.

Lead me to war with your brilliant direction."

All of Bel Air, really. But I just love how this part flows, especially the bolded lines.

PRIZZIN IZZINT NUTHIN TO ME IF YOULL BE BY MY SIDE

We could get high in Miami, oooooh

Dance the night away

People never die in Miami, oooooh

That's what they all say

You believe me dontcha baby?

/////

But, you can still come home

You can still come home when you want

And I won't be ashamed to take you back in

Won't be ashamed to put a kiss on your lips

"I love you more than I will even know."

:(

14417469274.gif

I think we can all agree Lana does some cool things with lyrics, whether it be her rich imagery, intricate rhymes or clever wordplay. So, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's favorite Lana lyrics are, including her unreleased material. 

I'll start with a few of my own favorites.

Get Drunk

Cigarettes and Robitussin, will I ever get to heaven? 

These lyrics are really powerful to me because of the desperation I read/hear in them. Also, if you've ever fucked around with DXM (ingredient in Robitussin that makes you trip), you'll understand the drugged out hazy feeling in this line.

Wayamaya 

I remember an all white day 

Fucking love this one because of how she uses "an all white day" to explain a flaw-free day.

I remember we came in May

And we changed our names

To Lana and Ray

We be up to the sun rosé

I’m in gold lamé

Your pink floral haze

I really enjoy when she starts a rhyme and keeps hitting it over and over again with these really vivid descriptions. Similar to Off to the Races. Also, I love the reference to "Lana and Ray." 

Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)

It's the voodoo, Mississippi south

69 million stars

Birds are flying out of my mouth

Spirits creeping in my yard

Hold my head, it's tilting back

Something dancing me around

Putting crystals on my neck

Lifting my feet off the ground

This one is just amazing, sinister imagery that we don't get too much from Lana, and I love it. I can picture everything she sings about when I listen to the song and it makes this one of my favorites.

"God's dead, I said baby that's alright with me/

No one's gonna take my soul away"

It's the blasphemous imagery that gets me the most. "God's dead", you can almost visualise this chaos throughout all of being, this destruction and volatility (reminds me of the ldr5 prerelease thread :deadbanana:). It's so inciting and fiery, she's revelling in this pandemonium, with an emotionally charged detachment and pain.

It reads like a biblical mayhem scene, an anti-creation story.

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

"God's dead, I said baby that's alright with me/

No one's gonna take my soul away"

It's the blasphemous imagery that gets me the most. "God's dead", you can almost visualise this chaos throughout all of being, this destruction and volatility (reminds me of the ldr5 prerelease thread :deadbanana:). It's so inciting and fiery, she's revelling in this pandemonium, with an emotionally charged detachment and pain.

It reads like a biblical mayhem scene, an anti-creation story.

they way you just explained why you love those lyrics gave me a newfound love and perspective on them :flutter:

I totally love God Knows I Tried lyrics and I think it's my favorite.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning

To red, blue, and yellow skies

It's so crazy I could drink it like tequila sunrise

Put on that Hotel California

Dance around like I'm insane

I feel free when I see no one

And nobody knows my name

giphy.gif

I love the lines in OW.

"He says he loves me, I don't believe him. If I'm so angry why don't leave him?", I also really love the way she says "I Don't Want Him" while repeating "Other Woman", pointed out by @

"My old man is a thief, and I'm gonna stay and pray with him til the end.

But I trust in the decision of the Lord to watch over us.

Take him when he may, if He may. I'm not afraid to say that I'd die without him! Who else is gonna put up with me this way?

I need you, I breathe you, I'll never leave you!!!"  :ahhney:

This entire bridge of Off to the Races is complete perfection! This is when Lana stole my edges and scalped me. The entire song takes you on a ride with a story that is too good! I miss when Lana's songs had a story that made you go YESSSSSS!

I love the lines in OW.

"He says he loves me, I don't believe him. If I'm so angry why don't leave him?", I also really love the way she says "I Don't Want Him" while repeating "Other Woman", pointed out by @

It's really clever how she mixes those two lines like that, I don't think I ever noticed! The repetition here really works to build the intensity in the chorus. 

"My old man is a thief, and I'm gonna stay and pray with him til the end.

But I trust in the decision of the Lord to watch over us.

Take him when he may, if He may. I'm not afraid to say that I'd die without him! Who else is gonna put up with me this way?

I need you, I breathe you, I'll never leave you!!!" :ahhney:

This entire bridge of Off to the Races is complete perfection! This is when Lana stole my edges and scalped me. The entire song takes you on a ride with a story that is too good! I miss when Lana's songs had a story that made you go YESSSSSS!

Pure perfection

"I can hear sirens"

In that context, "sirens" can be interpreted in two ways: the acoustical instrument and sirens from Greek mythology.

The second interpretation is pretty interesting:

• definition: one of several sea nymphs, part woman and part bird, who lure mariners to destruction by their seductive singing

• based on that definition, Lana uses this imagery to portray the danger, and considering the title itself is called "Ultraviolence" underlines this way of interpretation

• additionally, this term was introduced by Burgess (A Clockwork Orange) to display cruel violence that was endured by the characters in the book

Ultraviolence offers various ways to interpret the lyrics, therefore this is just my contribution to that line

"I can hear sirens"

In that context, "sirens" can be interpreted in two ways: the acoustical instrument and sirens from Greek mythology.

The second interpretation is pretty interesting:

• definition: one of several sea nymphs, part woman and part bird, who lure mariners to destruction by their seductive singing

• based on that definition, Lana uses this imagery to portray the danger, and considering the title itself is called "Ultraviolence" underlines this way of interpretation

• additionally, this term was introduced by Burgess (A Clockwork Orange) to display cruel violence that was endured by the characters in the book

Ultraviolence offers various ways to interpret the lyrics, therefore this is just my contribution to that line

YES, this line is so beautiful, it makes me think of an otherworldly dark night - you know how the encounter with that first little girl in Lolita was described? Underneath a tree? Exactly that. :flutter:

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

Lights, camera, acción
I'll do it on my own
Don't need your money, money
To get me what I want

Though High By the Beach isn't my favorite Lana song, these lyrics really get to me on an emotional level. Not just because she's harking back to Put Me in a Movie (reoccurring lyrics is another thing that she occasionally does that I truly adore) but because it touches me in this dark, needy way where I want to break free.