Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

ADIML could be better if the instrumentals were more inspired by the '60s and '70s

I'm totally in love with this era. It's everything that I was craving from artists in those past years. Some people might found her shallow, but sometimes we only want to scream "You don't have to be like everybody else. You don't have to fit the norm. You are not here to conform" at the top of our lungs.

And it's impressive how Marina was able to keep her artistic integrity even after so many years. She's always delivering music + concept + aesthetic. I love her for this ❤

I think the comparisons are silly at this point, though surface level I like that marinas viewpoint is more substantial and meaty, she’s dealing with campy wordplay which she’s always done really well and as @BluebirdXO said I’m loving the retro pop rock vibe, we won’t all like the same stuff or subjects.

1 hour ago, xlanax said:

Lana is lazy with visuals and everything but her music output is always the finest. These 3 new songs are masterpieces, thinking that Marina's recent work Is topping them is delusional sorry. "you don't have to fit into the norm you are not here to conform" .... Wow such poetry. 

I mean Marina's lyrics have never been particularly obscure or metaphoric, she's very upfront

Even when she was doing more complex songs in the beginning, the lyrics have always been on the nose and pretty "bare"

Even FROOT, which is highly allegorical, is still very clear what the metaphor is and she doesn't employ complex lyrics

1 minute ago, Charlottexseax said:

I mean Marina's lyrics have never been particularly obscure or metaphoric, she's very upfront

Even when she was doing more complex songs in the beginning, the lyrics have always been on the nose and pretty "bare"

Even FROOT, which is highly allegorical, is still very clear what the metaphor is and she doesn't employ complex lyrics

The funniest thing is Blue Banisters is not highly complex either nor is most of lanas output , lanas always been good at imagery to paint a story  via blue jeans and marinas good at biting satirical songs like sex yeah 

12 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

??? The family jewels era says hello??

One track mind like a goldfish stuck inside my petri dish

I let go of my glass balloon

Elderly stars slide down the morning sky, slipping away to find a place to die

We scooped our way into your dreams to knock the knives out bloody cold

I lost my spine inside the centre of a star

It seems so sinful living like a porcupine 

The list goes on and on. She used to be VERY metaphorical. Her weird way of telling her stories is what I loved most about her song writing

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

Listened to ADIML for the first time yesterday and it was pretty good. My only criticism is that I don't like the melody of the chorus. It too much of a brash 'drop' from the verses

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

13 minutes ago, Angelic Tropico said:

The list goes on and on. She used to be VERY metaphorical. Her weird way of telling her stories is what I loved most about her song writing

I still think she’s an excellent songwriter, I don’t know why people are trying to discredit her as if she’s some Tik Tok girl.

20 hours ago, Venus Fly Trap said:

Now that's subjective. I have to admit that Lana DID release much better music than Marina in 2019 even though L+F and NFR! are super different records, but now Lana hasn't release anything... innovative. Lana's current projects (COCC and BB) are kinda mediocre and monotonous visual-wise and musically, whereas Marina's new era is a recovery and way more hard-worked than L+F and again, Lana's recent and upcoming projects.

Marina is going back to form while Lana experiments moving away from it. I like both their recent projects… I literally rented an air bnb for chemtrails and I’m obsessed with marinas new stuff as well. There are let’s of marinas songs I don’t care for and there are pets of lanas new songs I don’t like, but overall I enjoy the new work. It’s not that hard to Stan your faves besties. None of them are doing terrible right now, let them have fun. 

1 hour ago, Angelic Tropico said:

Those are not very bright :awk:

You don't have to use and abuse of metaphorical language to be a good artist. Sometimes and apple is just an apple. No need to describe it as the origin of humanity downfall 

52 minutes ago, Angelic Tropico said:

Girl I'm sorry to tell you but most of those lyrics are not good lyrics

At least pick these:

1. Cause in the end the road is long, but only cause it makes you strong, it's filled with peaks, and twists and turns, sometimes you have to learn to forget about it
  2. Question what the TV tells you, question what the pop star sells you, question mum and question dad, question good and question bad
  3. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, sold my soul and yet the truth hurts
  4. You're buying stars to shut out the light, we come alone and alone we die, and no matter how hard you try, I'll always belong in the sky
  5. I left bubblegum in my mouth overnight, mother said I'd choke but I'd just given up the fight, I lay down like an arrow with a head heavy as lead, a heart starving mad and a body overfed [this is about abortion btw]
  6. I stepped into a room of clocks that all told different times, I stepped into a mirror world that mirrored all our crimes
  7. I'm your carnal flower, I'm your bloody rose, pick my petals off and make my heart explode
  8. The day has come where I have died, only to find I've come alive

and YEs, she has good lyricism and good allegories, it's just not the GENERAL trajectory of her music, and there's nothing wrong with that

2 hours ago, PeroxidePrincess said:

WOW Fantano's been enjoying all singles so far

I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE OMGG THE LOVE WITCH IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!!!

anyway excited for Venus Flytrap & especially excited for the few ballads on this album... Marina is one of the best at ballads. 

14417469274.gif

2 hours ago, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE OMGG THE LOVE WITCH IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!!!

anyway excited for Venus Flytrap & especially excited for the few ballads on this album... Marina is one of the best at ballads. 

Thanks a lot love :kiss:

I'm the most excited about Venus Flytrap, it'll be a career highlight for sure.

I'm also looking forward to hearing Goodbye, because I just like closing songs in general 

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

43 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

Girl I'm sorry to tell you but most of those lyrics are not good lyrics

1 hour ago, BluebirdXO said:

Those are not very bright :awk:

...My point was in response to whoever saying that she has never really used metaphors, etc... I never said that they were good or bad. Just gave examples of some that she's used off the top of my head :delicious:

2 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

I mean Marina's lyrics have never been particularly obscure or metaphoric

I think Marina has made a big shift this year (and last year) and gives great quality songs, a perfect production, as well as a simple but very interesting visual at the same time. She really manages to handle it all at the same time. I'm more excited for Marina's work than Lana is right now. Marina gives everything despite the little interest given to her by the general public and I really like the fact that she goes to the end and gives an era of quality despite the budget difficulties. She makes us happy.

Lana still has that talent, that voice but as a big fan her latest projects are lazy and not really good. The visuals don't make sense, the songs are weak and she goes into a minimalist frenzy that begins to be painful. She no longer works. The music she makes these is pretty empty. For me she is not comparable to Marina through this era. Lana needs to get out of this cliché, because writing poems doesn't have to rhyme with making boring music.

Lmao I come in and all I see is discussion regarding the quality of the new songs :lmao: The bar is so low.

6 minutes ago, Angelic Tropico said:

...My point was in response to whoever saying that she has never really used metaphors, etc... I never said that they were good or bad. Just gave examples of some that she's used off the top of my head :delicious:

That's still true what I said, the majority of her songs (and yes you have to count Love+Fear in) are not metaphoric 

I would say 3/4 of TJF is metaphoric, 1/4 of FROOT and a 1/4 of EH which is still not the majority 

Just now, Charlottexseax said:

That's still true what I said, the majority of her songs (and yes you have to count Love+Fear in) are not metaphoric 

I would say 3/4 of TJF is metaphoric, 1/4 of FROOT and a 1/4 of EH which is still not the majority 

2 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

:whoopi: