Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Sincerely asking, why do you think the lyrics are so damn good?

I mean, it's not like the song's lyrics are totally "beautiful, deep, heartbreaking" etc. But I appreciate the honesty on the lyrical content that this track has and how personal it is to her, in addition that I kinda can feel her same point of view.

Edit: Also, although her lyricism used to be much better before, this song shows that Marina is still a good songwritter after all.

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Okay well y'all can continue to bitch and complain while I BOP to this masterpiece. Take it for what it is lol, it's an amazing pop album. She delivered

tea. marina wouldn't just shove random shit in y'alls ears. this album is amazing, it's going to be on repeat for AWHILE. she SERVED

xMcVPI7.jpg

tea. marina wouldn't just shove random shit in y'alls ears. this album is amazing, it's going to be on repeat for AWHILE. she SERVED

It's just really annoying because like what do people want from her lol??? If she did the same thing every album people would complain, but when she switches up her sound with every album people complain like she just can't win. At least for me that's one of the reasons I love Marina the most - she always presents something fresh and new and her album rollouts/concepts are always so creative.

FzytWEW.png

It's just really annoying because like what do people want from her lol??? If she did the same thing every album people would complain, but when she switches up her sound with every album people complain like she just can't win. At least for me that's one of the reasons I love Marina the most - she always presents something fresh and new and her album rollouts/concepts are always so creative.

This concept was very creative, I'll give it that. I just wish the lyrics were creative and good as well. I'm a stan because of her quirky and great lyrics, but I didn't get that this time. I'll still love her and I'll support her.

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

This album is a serious downgrade. I don't enjoy it at all, I'm sorry... Sis I waited 4 years for this??

Only songs I'm keeping are To be human, EOTE, Believe in Love, and Emotional Machine.

I'm glad some ppl are enjoying it but this is such a letdown.

The criticism I've seen so far is not the sound of this album though. If anything I've seen only praise for the production. The criticism is in the songwriting and the forced concept. Theres no concept no matter how hard she tries to explain it, the lyrics are pedestrian to say the least and the melodies are weak. Is this a good pop album? Sure, if someone like Ava Max or Rita Ora released this no one would bat an eyelash. But as a Marina album, this is not it.

自由になる自由がある

It’s a great album just not a great Marina album

Said the same thing yesterday to @@wraith and @@electra

With Lana's "bad" songs, you can tell they have been written by her and it's her unique sound and style. They feel authentic. 

Most of LOVE + FEAR could have been released by... someone like Dua Lipa. You can't feel Marina's touch in (probably more than) half of the album. 

Starting with The Family Jewels, she always had an idea and desire to write about something specific. She always knew what she wanted to do that, of course not 100%, she changed directions and came up with new ideas and discarded old ones as she continued with the writing but that's just the creative process. It doesn't matter that how many producers and co-writers were on Electra Heart, she had the bulk of it down and needed people to fill the gaps. With TFJ and especially EH there were a lot more people but with FROOT she only had the help of one producer to help her out.

With this album, she definitely had a creative block. She wrote some songs in 2016 and 2017 but she did not go in to this process having an idea of what she wanted to do. She was drained from all the touring. She didn't even know if she wanted to make an album. She probably started to feel a little pressure in 2018 to do a record (because you know, fans and contract obligations) but she was still confused about what to do. That's when she ended up taking a trip to Sweden, working with Clean Bandit again, working with BROODS. She just had fun writing camps with musicians who ended up doing the bulk of the album for her, instead of filling the gaps. She is a musician too, she wrote and came up with melodies as much as they did but she did not go into that studio with "I want to do THIS, help me do it" like she did with her previous albums. Her approach was more like "Uhm I have this thing but idk what do you guys have/think" and that's why the album sounds like something that could be sung by any UK or Scandinavian pop artist. She took every sound, every melody, every production detail without thinking twice "is this authentically me? is this what I want to make and release?". She took whatever sounded at least decent, fresh and maybe 'radio/chart fit'. She wanted to finish an album as quickly as possible after making only a handful of songs before 2018. She made 20+ songs and picked what she thought was the best and slapped some weak idea on it... and here we are. That's why I also have issues with some of the production changes and songs that didn't make the album. The outtakes are more authentically her than some of the tracks on the album. 

So yeah I'm rambling on a lot, it's up to you to decide if this is a good or bad album. For me, is it a good pop record that has delicious production and fun vibes, definitely yes. But is it an authentic MARINA album? Definitely not compared to her previous work. Is this gonna take away from my listening experience? Not really. Am I disappointed? Just a little bit, but I'll survive and see what her next record offers. If the next one is the same then that means she's just gonna serve up this now and I'll enjoy it for what it is.

people just want the same album sounds regurgitated over and over and over again

Also people go into things with expectations, and when things don't meet those expectations, they are left disappointed. It was obvious from the start that this album would be different from her others (duh, how do you expect artists to grow). 

You can't go into this expecting another EH or FROOT, you need to go into it with a fresh mind, and see it for what it is.

Her lyricism may be more simple this time around, but they still are able to paint a picture of what the song is (ex. Handmade Heaven)

I pity those who can't enjoy this album.

negAbhB.png