Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Aw although I agree that the production is a bit stale, it doesn’t take away from the fact that she wrote a lot of the songs from a more mature standpoint. And that’s always really wholesome to me. I don’t think the writing is her best but most of the songs are pretty solid/listenable.

With artists like Marina and Lana, I’ve come to appreciate their newer stuff without focusing too much on whether they’ve turned a new leaf artistically/musically and moreso on the fact that they’re writing from a happier place.

Though I commend Marina for still putting actual effort into her releases :makeup:

biggest disappointment of 2019 musically for me I'm sorry if I'm being too harsh but that 4 year wait rlly had me fooled that she was crafting something next level especially travelling to japan and taking psychology courses etc but damn this record makes froot look like a indie masterpiece. This record sounds like it'd be played on loop at a tj maxx or something like department store filler music like these melodies and instrumentals feel like I've heard them 1000 times before, the best songs are EM, believe in love and enjoy your life

d63yq15-3111241c-203c-4c68-b6a1-861d09a7

I just finished listening to it, I don't know her old music so I have nothing to compare it with but it sounds nice to me. Very relaxing, I feel like it had a lot of summer holiday, beach/pool vibes to some of the songs.

I liked Handmade Heaven, Baby, Orange Trees and To Be Human but I already heard them before listening to it so maybe im just familiar with them. The other songs I liked were Believe In Love, Too Afriad and You.

absolutely NO slander will be tolerated for no more suckers. it is one of the best and that's that on that

anyways:

1. karma

2. no more suckers

3. end of the earth

4. life is strange

5. believe in love

6. handmade heaven

7. to be human

8. emotional machine

9. too afraid

10. enjoy your life

11. soft to be strong

12. baby

13. superstar

14. orange trees

15. true

16. you

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

People in here are seriously bashing the fact that she brought back the quirkiness in her lyrics for some songs this album.

The verses in NMS are just as comical as those from almost any TFJ song.

My mans it doesn't make sense

She really scrapped PDCM for No More Suckers...Marina, sweetie...I just wanna talk. (Seriously, I had such high hopes for this song based on all of your feedback, but I don’t see myself ever actively listening to this song again.)

EMOTIONAL MACHINE, THOUGH. So good and sort of chill in a way. I also really like Karma, however, I would love to hear a version without all the trop pop vibes. You is still cute.

I’m not gonna totally write off L+F until I see/hear the songs performed live. Might totally change my perception of them with choreo and whatnot.

giphy-1.gif 

To give insight to my opinion, I've been a hardcore stan since 2012. 

And honestly, I was not disappointed with this album. Some of the songs are not really good (I'm looking at you, Superstar.) Some of the lyrics are a bit strange (the 'towels' line in NMS) but as someone mentioned before, it feels reminiscent of her quirky lyrics from TFJ ('we are the spoons...'). Some of the melodies and production feel a little bit repetitive but it's refreshing to see her embracing genuine electropop. I would've liked to see PDCM and TNWWY on the album as I feel they fit more than some of the songs on it but I'm not mad as we have heard parts of both of them.  FEAR>LOVE. 

I was at Neon Gold X when she premiered Emotional Machine and honestly, I was a little disappointed, but after hearing the studio version it is definitely a highlight of the album.  I'm so glad that BROODS provided backing vocals for the song and it wasn't just for the live performance.  It adds to much to the song! Life is Strange has been on repeat too (but fuck that cheering sample).  That cello though!  Karma sounds exactly like a Clean Bandit song (almost a WIL reject..) so I wasn't really surprised that Jack produced it.  I could see them pushing that as a single.  I also wish we never got that You snippet last year because I feel like I had expectations for that song that weren't met.  It's a cute little bop though. 

I'm not sure how I would rank this against her other albums.  I feel like I don't have an accurate gauge on how to rank them because her first three albums are so overplayed for me that my opinion might be skewed. 

Overall, as a hardcore stan, I feel like the four years was worth the wait. This album is the pop album I desperately wanted FROOT to be following EH. I find myself relating to a lot of the themes throughout the album, and that's part of why I love Marina so much.  I do definitely understand the criticism that it's a bit ~basic~ but I do not think basic music is bad.  I love how distinct all 4 albums are, and how cohesive they are.  L+F is extremely cohesive, and I'm happy to see how much she has matured in her thought process and that she has a positive outlook on life now.  I'm happy that she's happy!  :flutter:

Finally able to listen to "Fear" and wow, I am geniunely surprised that I am liking it. I was nervous reading the comments on here, but I honestly
think it's really cute and definitely a grower. Still my least favorite album of hers, but I don't think it's terrible. There are definitely some good bops.
8.5/10 for me.  :flutter:

(I think you all should appreciate that Marina returned to music. Remember she considered quitting it altogether!!! Don't be so critical, just enjoy!)

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

To give insight to my opinion, I've been a hardcore stan since 2012. 

And honestly, I was not disappointed with this album. Some of the songs are not really good (I'm looking at you, Superstar.) Some of the lyrics are a bit strange (the 'towels' line in NMS) but as someone mentioned before, it feels reminiscent of her quirky lyrics from TFJ ('we are the spoons...'). Some of the melodies and production feel a little bit repetitive but it's refreshing to see her embracing genuine electropop. I would've liked to see PDCM and TNWWY on the album as I feel they fit more than some of the songs on it but I'm not mad as we have heard parts of both of them.  FEAR>LOVE. 

I was at Neon Gold X when she premiered Emotional Machine and honestly, I was a little disappointed, but after hearing the studio version it is definitely a highlight of the album.  I'm so glad that BROODS provided backing vocals for the song and it wasn't just for the live performance.  It adds to much to the song! Life is Strange has been on repeat too (but fuck that cheering sample).  That cello though!  Karma sounds exactly like a Clean Bandit song (almost a WIL reject..) so I wasn't really surprised that Jack produced it.  I could see them pushing that as a single.  I also wish we never got that You snippet last year because I feel like I had expectations for that song that weren't met.  It's a cute little bop though. 

I'm not sure how I would rank this against her other albums.  I feel like I don't have an accurate gauge on how to rank them because her first three albums are so overplayed for me that my opinion might be skewed. 

Overall, as a hardcore stan, I feel like the four years was worth the wait. This album is the pop album I desperately wanted FROOT to be following EH. I find myself relating to a lot of the themes throughout the album, and that's part of why I love Marina so much.  I do definitely understand the criticism that it's a bit ~basic~ but I do not think basic music is bad.  I love how distinct all 4 albums are, and how cohesive they are.  L+F is extremely cohesive, and I'm happy to see how much she has matured in her thought process and that she has a positive outlook on life now.  I'm happy that she's happy!  :flutter:

Finally able to listen to "Fear" and wow, I am geniunely surprised that I am liking it. I was nervous reading the comments on here, but I honestly

think it's really cute and definitely a grower. Still my least favorite album of hers, but I don't think it's terrible. There are definitely some good bops.

8.5/10 for me.  :flutter:

(I think you all should appreciate that Marina returned to music. Remember she considered quitting it altogether!!! Don't be so critical, just enjoy!)

I loved these posts :flutter: my thoughts exactly!! 

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

People in here are seriously bashing the fact that she brought back the quirkiness in her lyrics for some songs this album.

The verses in NMS are just as comical as those from almost any TFJ song.

My mans it doesn't make sense

put No More Suckers' 'quirkiness' next to the quirkiness of Obsessions (the cracker verse), Mowgli's Road, or Hermit the Frog and clearly SOMETHING is off..........

An aspect of L+F that did feel in the vein of TFJ was Karma's 'Oh my god, I think it's karma!' but NMS.........................no

the album isn’t bad but someone said here there’s nothing interesting about the songs. her older songs feel lyric-rich and purposeful and a lot of the songs here are not that. love marina though and i will be going to see her on tour still

I'm not trying to bash the album completely but a lot of these songs are lyrically the worst she's written in her entire career. The production on the other hand makes it even worse and more unlistenable. I love Marina's discography so much and she's gotten me through so much in the past but this album feels less special to me. I'll let it grow on me after a while but I'll stay feeling the same way about it. I understand that she might've wanted to do something different but there's many other ways she could've executed this album better. If you guys like the album then that's fine but I know, and we ALL know that she can do better than this.