Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 hour ago, Veinsineon said:

I just think it’s weird knowing she planned to “repackage “ Froot with a new name and +4-5 new songs that were unfinished at the time of the albums inception. Like were they home demos she never took to the studio? Is Control just a laptop demo? What other songs could she possibly have thought about including? Anything with Dan Dare?

Me thinking that there would just be a companion EP titled "Vegetables"

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

I just think it’s weird knowing she planned to “repackage “ Froot with a new name and +4-5 new songs that were unfinished at the time of the albums inception. Like were they home demos she never took to the studio? Is Control just a laptop demo? What other songs could she possibly have thought about including? Anything with Dan Dare?

Well it was rumoured that Disconnect and True Colors cover were part of the repackage. But after the tour she probably burned out and I remember in one of the interviews she said that she finds Froot perfect as it is

url%5D

Disconnect, True Colours, Hungry, Saviour would've made 4 finished(ish) songs, and then Control remains as the only confirmed Froot outtake she didn't studio record

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

3 minutes ago, FkaTwinks said:

Disconnect, True Colours, Hungry, Saviour would've made 4 finished(ish) songs, and then Control remains as the only confirmed Froot outtake she didn't studio record

wasn’t control just a demo of forget? 

My unpopular opinion is that I love L+F just the way it is. I don't really care for demos and outtakes from that era besides There's Nothing Wrong With You, which I really love.

It's my second favorite Marina album after Froot. Mainly because I just really relate to it and I think that the modern electronic pop sound and the simple polished semi-quirky clunky lyrics really worked together. Because it really helped me to learn about emotions and how I really feel about everything. I understand if for some it's trash but for me it's really dear. What I really love is that there are different pop sounds in this album but if other people can't hear it I understand. It was my first proper era I experienced too, I became a stan after Froot was released but I knew and loved some of her music since 2010 with I Am Not A Robot :wub:

I understand that people have different tastes and I understand if someone thinks I have an awful taste but with L+F I feel like this album was made for me. 

url%5D

6 minutes ago, brandon said:

wasn’t control just a demo of forget? 

People assumed that initially, but an interview was found where Marina said that she wrote 15 songs and picked 14 to record. There isn't another 15th track that we know of, so it's more likely that she decided to swap Control for Forget after the initial recording list was written

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

Also with There's Nothing Wrong With You, I have a theory about this song since when it leaked.

We all know that the song is about Marina herself since she talked about it in her blog (MarinaBooks or whatever it was called). But there's something about the lyrics I noticed, so there's my theory:

The first verse is about The Family Jewels era Marina.

The second verse is about Electra Heart era Marina.

The bridge is about Froot era Marina.

url%5D

4 hours ago, Embach said:

Froot isn't cohesive yes, I haven't seen fans saying that to my surprise. I never really found her albums that cohesive because in her albums there are sounds of everything, even in TFJ or EH (but EH is probably her most cohesive one). But imo cohesiveness is overrated. I love an album which has different sounds. That's why I love Froot, there is a perfect mix of other genres.

What I meant was rather cohesiveness in quality. The Froot title track is amazing, but such ones like Can't Pin Me Down bring nothing to the table, and the message of Gold is priviliged point of view and irritating. TFJ and EH are simply richer, both in context and melody, and I never understood people choosing FROOT as their fav. album, but it's just me. Not that it's a bad record of course, I love the aesthetics and the atmosphere, it's very nice "homemade pop" let's say.

original.gif

5 hours ago, vrtvie said:

I never understood people choosing FROOT as their fav. album

For me it's the weakest of the "And the Diamonds" trio, but that's because it's a "slow" album. I'd stand to wager that there's folks who like it the best, because it's the slow album. TFJ and EH have a lot of songs with a lot of energy and *pop*. Froot is much more subdued by comparison.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

I think Froot is also loved for the sentiment. It kinda felt like a full circle moment for Marina and her fans. The roll out of the album was great (with the froot of the month), she made the album on her own, she made peace with no going fully commercial & lyrically Happy is a song that adds to the full circle moment of Marina being in a happier place herself. 

Overall I've always ranked the albums like: TFJ > EH > Froot > ADIAMW > L&F

TFJ & EH are musically really really good, putting TFJ is because I personally enjoy the more indie/newwave sound over the full pop.
Froot has some really high peaks with the title track & Happy, but also has some skips (weeds, better than that, gold). The lyrics and music seems to become a bit more basic than her first two albums
ADIAMW has actually less skips but is a little bit on the nose with the lyrics at times. But I don't dislike any of the songs on there.
L&F is just basic pop. Handmade heaven, To be human & End of the earth are nice. The other songs ain't terrible, it's just not on the same level as her other work. 

17 minutes ago, Topaz said:

I think Froot is also loved for the sentiment. It kinda felt like a full circle moment for Marina and her fans. The roll out of the album was great (with the froot of the month), she made the album on her own, she made peace with no going fully commercial & lyrically Happy is a song that adds to the full circle moment of Marina being in a happier place herself. 

Overall I've always ranked the albums like: TFJ > EH > Froot > ADIAMW > L&F

TFJ & EH are musically really really good, putting TFJ is because I personally enjoy the more indie/newwave sound over the full pop.
Froot has some really high peaks with the title track & Happy, but also has some skips (weeds, better than that, gold). The lyrics and music seems to become a bit more basic than her first two albums
ADIAMW has actually less skips but is a little bit on the nose with the lyrics at times. But I don't dislike any of the songs on there.
L&F is just basic pop. Handmade heaven, To be human & End of the earth are nice. The other songs ain't terrible, it's just not on the same level as her other work. 

I remember the fucking wait with the Froot of the Month being absolutely unbearable! Amazing era though, it feels like her last real one

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif

44 minutes ago, eyelovelefteye said:

I remember the fucking wait with the Froot of the Month being absolutely unbearable! Amazing era though, it feels like her last real one

I still remember how shocked I was with how perfect Immortal is, haunting song and music video, such a gem. It kinda feels like a good bye to Marina & the Diamonds. 

What a trilogy, what a ride. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

From Marina's Instagram stories:

Marina-selphie-1.jpg

Marina-2.jpg

She keeps teasing with the Cherry aesthetic in the first photo, she has already teased for a long time with her cherry patterned dress (like Lana wore also a cherry patterned dress in Amsterdam).

But in the second photo, she tagged Ben H Berger (who also dates her friend Sadie Newman), who is a member of a songwriting, record production and remix group Captain Cuts, who has worked with Marina and they co-wrote and co-produced songs like Lonely Hearts Club, Superstar, Karma and About Love and an unreleased song from Love + Fear era called What I Wanna Do. Is it a possible hint for a new collaboration on her new album?

url%5D

9 minutes ago, Embach said:

From Marina's Instagram stories:

Marina-selphie-1.jpg

Marina-2.jpg

She keeps teasing with the Cherry aesthetic in the first photo, she has already teased for a long time with her cherry patterned dress (like Lana wore also a cherry patterned dress in Amsterdam).

But in the second photo, she tagged Ben H Berger (who also dates her friend Sadie Newman), who is a member of a songwriting, record production and remix group Captain Cuts, who has worked with Marina and they co-wrote and co-produced songs like Lonely Hearts Club, Superstar, Karma and About Love and an unreleased song from Love + Fear era called What I Wanna Do. Is it a possible hint for a new collaboration on her new album?

i think he just took the pic hun

1 minute ago, 111 said:

i think he just took the pic hun

Yea but theyve been hanging out together before that too, so i just assumed theyre working together

although you said it in a way like you know something :teehee: can we expect any news soon :excited:

url%5D

When is her new era starting? My biggest wish is still for her to return to a commercial pop girl sound similar to Electra Heart. She clearly enjoys performing the songs during her live shows. Idk if I'm delusional but I think she's the most sprightly when she sings songs like Bubblegum Bitch. 

32 minutes ago, Speed Driving Coconuts said:

When is her new era starting? My biggest wish is still for her to return to a commercial pop girl sound similar to Electra Heart. She clearly enjoys performing the songs during her live shows. Idk if I'm delusional but I think she's the most sprightly when she sings songs like Bubblegum Bitch. 

we don't know, I think she might do a 'surprise' drop, maybe not the whole album, but the reveal etc being out of the blue as she hasn't spoken about being in the studio or writing at all & has been off social media mostly. which is probably a good thing and less pressure for her.