Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

On 6/27/2023 at 6:50 AM, Embach said:

Also since this thread came back from the dead and as a long time Marina stan I want to post my unpopular opinion and it's very very VERY controversial and long :true:

Love + Fear album > Ancient Dreams album.

I know that these albums are definitely not her strongest work but I find Ancient Dreams worse than L+F. 

When Ancient Dreams was released, it was my new favorite Marina album, I was so hyped and I loved every song on the album, I played it non-stop, especially Venus Fly Trap and the title track. But after a long break of not listening to this album (+ when the deluxe tracks dropped) - I found that album extreamely cringe :toofunny: like that album did not age well for me. 

The whole album seems so prententious for me now and very forced. In fact it was forced. When Marina saw the hate comments about L+F she did kind of force herself into her "old sound" (because fans wanted her to do it) but in my opinion it didn't really work out well. It sounded more of a "parody" of her old sound imo.

Like she has done that disco-rock/dance-rock/electro-pop rock/synth-pop/new wave sound (or whatever it is called) like million times, she could've explored new genres instead, like folk, soul, triphop, soft/psychedelic rock, not redo that electronic sound or oompah-oompah piano songs.

And the lyrics have become so awkward and clunky, not only the political songs which sounded like a novelty tracks but the break-up songs were even more awkward. Goodbye used to be my favorite song from Ancient until I relistened to it and realised how cringe it is, it's like a song written by a high-school student for a musical or a play. And I think the same about other break-up songs on the album too :toofunny: 

The only good song from Ancient Dreams is Highly Emotional People, and I think it's the best song from the album.

Love + Fear was also very clunky and awkward in terms of lyrics like for example in No More Suckers and Enjoy Your Life but the album was just lacklustre and boring and lyrically/sonically too simple and plain. It wasn't really that pretentious and awkward as Ancient Dreams was. It was obvious that this album wasn't that strong lyrically/sonically because she had been away from music for few years. I don't think that L+F had a forced sound because it was just the "aftermath" of the environment Marina was living in (her hiatus, her then bf with Clean Bandit and the psychology courses). If the reception from her fans was less harsh and if Covid didn't happen, I think she would have moved on to a whole new level in music, like a new genre and theme. Like when Taylor transitioned from Lover era to Folklore/Evermore.

Imo, her holy trinity will forever be her first three albums, because these were a perfect trilogy of her life and her mindset. The concepts of those albums were perfectly executed, especially Electra Heart's which was just brilliant. Now I think she has a writer block or I think she doesn't have anything "fundamental" to write about because everything she wanted to say, was said in The Family Jewels, Electra Heart and Froot. And you can see it in L+F and Ancient Dreams that these two albums are very different from her first three.

My favorite album of hers is Froot and song Froot too. I think it's a perfect pop album and perfect pop song.

I also think that she's not an alternative artist. She has always been pop for me. Maybe the early era of TFJ was alternative with Mermaid Vs Sailor EP and that's it.

I currently prefer her poetry to Ancient Dreams because I think the "awkward political/societal wordiness" looks better in poetry than in songs.

I knowww that my opinion I stated here was very very very harsh but it was already very difficult for me to state too because I have loved her music since 2010 and I love Marina herself very much. But this was just my insight and no one obviously doesn't have to take my opinion seriously. I just had to say it and this forum was the best place for it :true:

I do like Love + Fear tbh, but Ancient Dreams was always cringe to me. 

I LOVE the sound, but the lyrics are embarrassing. We want introspective shit, not this dumb political crap. 

There’s a reason we liked Savages, and not this cringeworthy shit. I tried giving it another chance trying to have an open mind, but every single song made me cringe besides Happy Loner which i adore. 

I also know this is going to be a controversial opinion, but she made that Marinazine and hardly ANY women had content in it. It was basically all trans women including the cover. 

So you don’t wanna live in a “man’s world” but even in your own damn magazine basically all you feature are biological men? she’s a total hypocrite, which wouldn’t really even bother me if the music was at least good. 

Mod note: User was warned for this post. Transphobia is NOT tolerated on this site.

Edited by That Venice Bitch

16 minutes ago, mssainttropez said:

Marina apparently has a private Insta. It’s not confirmed, but suspected-

IMG-0303.jpg

i mean, if her sisters following it… :smokes: i think it’s safe to assume 

12 minutes ago, creditcardromancer said:

I also know this is going to be a controversial opinion, but she made that Marinazine and hardly ANY women had content in it. It was basically all trans women including the cover. 

So you don’t wanna live in a “man’s world” but even in your own damn magazine basically all you feature are biological men? she’s a total hypocrite, 

I have to disagree with you on this :delish:

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

12 minutes ago, creditcardromancer said:

So you don’t wanna live in a “man’s world” but even in your own damn magazine basically all you feature are biological men? she’s a total hypocrite, which wouldn’t really even bother me if the music was at least good. 

oh that's not-

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

Hate to say it but listening to her music feels more cringeworthy with each month recently. This is something that Lana has been able to escape, perhaps thanks to her experimentalism and neverending passion to music, even at her lowest or most desperate she never sounded "cheap", she's been able to finally gain international critics' respect. I don't know if it's because of my age but certainly the feeling that most of Marina's fandom consists of angsty teenagers does not help. I can't help but get the impression she's somewhat stuck in that immature music place and does not want to grow. I need her to release something actually mature and meaningful, not fucked with the food chain fucked with the farming too shit.

original.gif

24 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Hate to say it but listening to her music feels more cringeworthy with each month recently. This is something that Lana has been able to escape, perhaps thanks to her experimentalism and neverending passion to music, even at her lowest or most desperate she never sounded "cheap", she's been able to finally gain international critics' respect. I don't know if it's because of my age but certainly the feeling that most of Marina's fandom consists of angsty teenagers does not help. I can't help but get the impression she's somewhat stuck in that immature music place and does not want to grow. I need her to release something actually mature and meaningful, not fucked with the food chain fucked with the farming too shit.

1000000% agreed, but… knowing her? don’t think that’ll end up happening 

i am enjoying the vintage cherry vibe she’s been teasing though, so hopefully the music is at least less… buzzword political woke serve and more just.. cute

Honeymoon impact :oprah: when one of the posts is the Lana tattoo with the Forget lyrics about the devil :smirk:

url%5D

7 hours ago, creditcardromancer said:

I LOVE the sound, but the lyrics are embarrassing. We want introspective shit, not this dumb political crap. 

There’s a reason we liked Savages, and not this cringeworthy shit. I tried giving it another chance trying to have an open mind, but every single song made me cringe besides Happy Loner which i adore. 

Mod note: User was warned for this post. Transphobia is NOT tolerated on this site.

Girl kill yourself

7 hours ago, creditcardromancer said:

I always thought the overlap of Lana and Marina fans was interesting. I have disliked every Marina song I've ever heard. Ancient Dreams was especially bad in my opinion.

Politically centered music has been a dud since the 90s. Why musicians continue try to bring it back is beyond me. 

I am listening to Purge The Poison now. This song is laughably bad. It's almost a parody song. It must suck for the old fans who enjoyed her first three projects which are a bit more digestible. I wonder how much actual charity work she has done... Probably zero...

5 hours ago, Strangelove said:

I am listening to Purge The Poison now. This song is laughably bad. It's almost a parody song. It must suck for the old fans who enjoyed her first three projects which are a bit more digestible. I wonder how much actual charity work she has done... Probably zero...

Why bother listening to Purge the Poison? I think she was in such a state of mind, especially during her breakup, that she simply had to create something juvenile like this. But if you really want to give her a try as a Lana fan I highly recommend songs like "Valley of the Dolls", "Starring Role", "Happy", "Immortal", "Teen Idle", "Obsessions", "The State of Dreaming", ones that are actually touching and Lana-esque in some places. And her wisest sociopolitical song to this day probably remains "Sex Yeah", could've been written by Lily Allen.

As for charity, we know only about that project to help Afroamerican artists I guess?

original.gif

5 hours ago, Strangelove said:

I and some others actually really like that song so no not really- it’s a bop with some off kilter verses for sure though but it’s no worse than some songs off Froot 

Not sure how’s it laughable but if you really dislike her discog or her vibe then yeah it’s not the best song to choose for you 

5 hours ago, finalgirl said:

Girl kill yourself

Ok that user expressed their opinion in a  bad way- BUT I think a lot of bio/cis women feel excluded at times and get pushed out a lot and feel their spaces can get invaded- it’s not a black and white scenario and the answer isn’t to belittle trans women but you can’t just tell people to Jill themselves :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I and some others actually really like that song so no not really- it’s a bop with some off kilter verses for sure though but it’s no worse than some songs off Froot 

No Froot slander please :tea:

No but seriously what's wrong with Froot, imo it's her best album and all of the songs are great

url%5D

21 minutes ago, Embach said:

No but seriously what's wrong with Froot, imo it's her best album and all of the songs are great

Electra Heart will always be her best album tbh :agree:

pskiQfS.jpeg

Your wife waters flowers, I wanna kill her 

1 hour ago, Embach said:

Some of savages whilst great is lyrically just face value- it doesn’t take away from the song but when it actively goes overtly political it can come across as blunt