Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

the reason Ancient F Words is much better than L+F is because she started all of it on her laptop, there are laptop or piano demos that she did for all of the songs, yes they sound rough but they have that charm of her earlier work of banging away at the piano and garageband loops - the problem was the lyrics, it went really pretentious on an attempt to be self aware and "political"... but you can see she still got some chops by the specialness of these demos, unlike someone like BANKS who went indie and tried to self produce her entire album to output that garbage snake thing she put out

L+F was trash because she went into studio to write generic love songs started from scratch by a random collection of producers... only a few songs on L+F was made as a laptop demo by her, mainly handmade heaven and soft to be strong, which are two of the strongest songs on the album and most Marina like to no surprises... as long as she keeps her focus on creating songs herself, working mainly with one producer to create a consistent soundscape and finding better lyrical content she will be fine. but i worry about her being independent now... there's a big risk that she will just become more insufferable

19 minutes ago, 111 said:

the reason Ancient F Words is much better than L+F is because she started all of it on her laptop, there are laptop or piano demos that she did for all of the songs, yes they sound rough but they have that charm of her earlier work of banging away at the piano and garageband loops - the problem was the lyrics, it went really pretentious on an attempt to be self aware and "political"... but you can see she still got some chops by the specialness of these demos, unlike someone like BANKS who went indie and tried to self produce her entire album to output that garbage snake thing she put out

L+F was trash because she went into studio to write generic love songs started from scratch by a random collection of producers... only a few songs on L+F was made as a laptop demo by her, mainly handmade heaven and soft to be strong, which are two of the strongest songs on the album and most Marina like to no surprises... as long as she keeps her focus on creating songs herself, working mainly with one producer to create a consistent soundscape and finding better lyrical content she will be fine. but i worry about her being independent now... there's a big risk that she will just become more insufferable

When is she coming back because we’re bored

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

20 minutes ago, 111 said:

she needs to dip her hand back into the froot-bowl (aka one of the best albums of all time) because the half baked and pretentious ‘self-aware’ lyrics are unlistenable atp

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

To be honest, FROOT was never that good to begin with. What value do Can't Pin Me Down or Gold have? Ik it's probably a taboo thing in the fandom but this record is not as cohesive as people portray it to be.

original.gif

1 minute ago, vrtvie said:

To be honest, FROOT was never that good to begin with. What value do Can't Pin Me Down or Gold have?

fun and non-chart conforming production, lyrics that are actually well thought out if she made a political statement (savages) and a fun era where she didnt feel like an LA try hard

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

2 hours ago, vrtvie said:

To be honest, FROOT was never that good to begin with. What value do Can't Pin Me Down or Gold have? Ik it's probably a taboo thing in the fandom but this record is not as cohesive as people portray it to be.

Froot isn't cohesive yes, I haven't seen fans saying that to my surprise. I never really found her albums that cohesive because in her albums there are sounds of everything, even in TFJ or EH (but EH is probably her most cohesive one). But imo cohesiveness is overrated. I love an album which has different sounds. That's why I love Froot, there is a perfect mix of other genres.

url%5D

Also I love to see that my long ass controversial post I posted last week created such a sweet controversy here :creepna3: I love those discussions about albums

url%5D

FROOT is the album of a lifetime. It sucks there was only a limited number of songs made for it, but that’s also what makes it so strong, so it’s bittersweet :smokes4:

True Colors

Savior

Not Hungry Anymore

are there any other “outtakes” we know of? Did we ever find out what When You Take Away Control was?

I just think it’s weird knowing she planned to “repackage “ Froot with a new name and +4-5 new songs that were unfinished at the time of the albums inception. Like were they home demos she never took to the studio? Is Control just a laptop demo? What other songs could she possibly have thought about including? Anything with Dan Dare?

29 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

I just think it’s weird knowing she planned to “repackage “ Froot with a new name and +4-5 new songs that were unfinished at the time of the albums inception. Like were they home demos she never took to the studio? Is Control just a laptop demo? What other songs could she possibly have thought about including? Anything with Dan Dare?

Pretty sure she was in the studio in 2015 or 2016 for the repackage but don't quote me on that

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

The only song I don't really enjoy on Froot is Blue :teehee: 

I think overall MARINA albums are actually cohesive somehow, even if they explore different genres like Froot did.

And forgive me but I'm so attached to L+F because the outtakes are miles better than most of the released tracks + it was the first album release I experienced as a fan but I see why people don't enjoy it much - is a mess lmao.

I really hope to see more Ancient-esque production in her further work (title track, Venus Fly Trap, Goodbye, Highly Emotional People, Man's World have beautiful productions imo), but she definitely has to step up her songwriting game - I can't believe this is the same woman who wrote the Froot album on her own. Maybe some peer-review would work? Or she could write and let it rest to come back and rework the lyrics idk. I hope M6 will be an incredible album, fingers crossed.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2: