Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

The article about the workshop said she was inspired by Regina Spector (with a C... like... they couldn’t be bothered to check the spelling) and like I don’t see it? I mean her early work is definitely inspired by her but it really stops after TFJ (which is why maybe I love it so much)

Anyway a Marina workshop sounds like a really cool idea, although looking at F+L I don’t know which groundbreaking advice she could give on songwriting. Have a gay fanbase?

The article about the workshop said she was inspired by Regina Spector (with a C... like... they couldn’t be bothered to check the spelling) and like I don’t see it? I mean her early work is definitely inspired by her but it really stops after TFJ (which is why maybe I love it so much)

Anyway a Marina workshop sounds like a really cool idea, although looking at F+L I don’t know which groundbreaking advice she could give on songwriting. Have a gay fanbase?

i dont know why they published the questions they did, because people asked much better questions that were really helpful and interesting that weren't written on the workshop page

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

i dont know why they published the questions they did, because people asked much better questions that were really helpful and interesting that weren't written on the workshop page

I would love to hear more about this! It sounds amazing! I wish I could have been there! 

(Also I couldn't believe they couldn't spell Regina Spektor in the write-up...) 

What was really cute from last night was that Marina slightly changed the lyrics to Happy:

I hadn't found the one for me

I wonder if she changed it because now she is in a loving, stable relationship with Jack, so now she feels like she has found the one? My heart EXPLODED when she did that :defeated:

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

I finally got around to listening to FEAR and I- :rip:

Lets just say I like Life Is Strange, Emotional Machine and Too Afraid  :smokes:

LOVE + FEAR should've been a single album with the following songs:

Handmade Heaven

Superstar

Orange Trees

Enjoy Your Life

True

To Be Human

End of the Earth

Life Is Strange

Emotional Machine

Too Afraid

Soft To Be Strong

the rest is disposable garbage  :smokes:

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

I feel bad for the “fans” calling this album shit. It’s sad you can’t appreciate the music your “favourite” artists create. There are songs on all of her albums I’m not a fan of, would I call them garbage? No, because I’m not a twat and I can appreciate the fact that one of my favourite artists likes the song him/herself enough to put it on their album. To me this album is amazing, her lyrics have matured, her voice has matured and even just from seeing her show the other night you can see she’s happier than she’s ever been. So hate on it if you want but I’m gonna continue supporting her, because I’m not a dick. And no I’m not saying these people can’t have an opinion. I’m just saying maybe try to listen to the songs, lyrics and understand her personal position and try to understand that other people may like a song you don’t like before you call it trash. When people tell me they like a song I don’t like I don’t jump straight to “ew you have no taste because that song is shit” I say, cool I’m not a fan of that song but you can’t love everything.

giphy.gif

I feel bad for the “fans” calling this album shit. It’s sad you can’t appreciate the music your “favourite” artists create. There are songs on all of her albums I’m not a fan of, would I call them garbage? No, because I’m not a twat and I can appreciate the fact that one of my favourite artists likes the song him/herself enough to put it on their album. To me this album is amazing, her lyrics have matured, her voice has matured and even just from seeing her show the other night you can see she’s happier than she’s ever been. So hate on it if you want but I’m gonna continue supporting her, because I’m not a dick. And no I’m not saying these people can’t have an opinion. I’m just saying maybe try to listen to the songs, lyrics and understand her personal position and try to understand that other people may like a song you don’t like before you call it trash. When people tell me they like a song I don’t like I don’t jump straight to “ew you have no taste because that song is shit” I say, cool I’m not a fan of that song but you can’t love everything.

You know ... NORMAL people outside of stan-forums usually listen to music because of ... well, the music and not because they are obsessed with a person. So even if you have been a fan of an artists past work, you still have every right to not like an album for what it is - music :)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

this is the most stupid shit I've ever read in my life...

the train of thought isn't: I like her songs BECAUSE she is my favourite artist, but: she is my favourite artist BECAUSE i like her songs (it's more than this but let's keep it simple for the sake of it).

like you shouldn't force yourself to like something just because your favourite artist has done something, because that implies that your favourite artist is infallible and can't make mistakes. but she isn't

there are a lot of people that are ok with just eating up anything an artist ever does and that's ok, but I like to think critically and I reward quality over quantity. 

the argument to be happy just because she's happy I get, but again, FROOT era was marketed as her finally finding comfort in her status, being happy and totally in control of her musical process. we can't just be happy every time she markets something as happy. we don't know what she's going through and a lot of times marina has hidden her darkest moments because she's human and doesn't necessarily wanna share them

the bottom line is you should analyse music just for what it is and not as the result of your favourite artist finally finding their place in the world and being artistically free etc... because those are all non-factors.

also, if the album did end up being lyrically and sonically thought out, like for example El Mal Querer by Rosalia, yall wouldn't even know where to begin appreciating it. and that would take A LOT away from the artist's effort to make something new and artistically sound. "omg its new music just like it... like its so fresh and shes happy" like what's the point in being an artist if your persona can overshadow your music and be the sole factor to drive your fanbase's appreciation for your work? 

look i get being obsessed with marina, i was once too: I loved digging up her myspace posts, pictures and her past. but music is music, and while there is actually space for context, it shouldn't be a mean to overshadow the work but rather to amplify the good qualities. not to make up for the lack thereof. 

for example me being a good fan is using italy's largely right wing taxpayers money to buy EH, TFJ and froot on vinyl. work! love that journey for me

tumblr_pr0mx54Dlt1qzssae_540.gif

I’m just saying maybe try to listen to the songs, lyrics and understand her personal position and try to understand that L+F is trash.

this is the most stupid shit I've ever read in my life...

the train of thought isn't: I like her songs BECAUSE she is my favourite artist, but: she is my favourite artist BECAUSE i like her songs (it's more than this but let's keep it simple for the sake of it).

like you shouldn't force yourself to like something just because your favourite artist has done something, because that implies that your favourite artist is infallible and can't make mistakes. but she isn't

there are a lot of people that are ok with just eating up anything an artist ever does and that's ok, but I like to think critically and I reward quality over quantity. 

the argument to be happy just because she's happy I get, but again, FROOT era was marketed as her finally finding comfort in her status, being happy and totally in control of her musical process. we can't just be happy every time she markets something as happy. we don't know what she's going through and a lot of times marina has hidden her darkest moments because she's human and doesn't necessarily wanna share them

the bottom line is you should analyse music just for what it is and not as the result of your favourite artist finally finding their place in the world and being artistically free etc... because those are all non-factors.

also, if the album did end up being lyrically and sonically thought out, like for example El Mal Querer by Rosalia, yall wouldn't even know where to begin appreciating it. and that would take A LOT away from the artist's effort to make something new and artistically sound. "omg its new music just like it... like its so fresh and shes happy" like what's the point in being an artist if your persona can overshadow your music and be the sole factor to drive your fanbase's appreciation for your work? 

look i get being obsessed with marina, i was once too: I loved digging up her myspace posts, pictures and her past. but music is music, and while there is actually space for context, it shouldn't be a mean to overshadow the work but rather to amplify the good qualities. not to make up for the lack thereof. 

for example me being a good fan is using italy's largely right wing taxpayers money to buy EH, TFJ and froot on vinyl. work! love that journey for me

take a grip sis

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

.........Anyways, my top 5 from L+F currently are:

1. You 
  2. Too Afraid
  3. Enjoy Your Life
  4. Karma
  5. Handmade Heaven

What are yours? I find it so interesting to see peoples' top 5 especially with this album as it has been so divisive in the fanbase

FzytWEW.png

.........Anyways, my top 5 from L+F currently are:

• You 
  • Too Afraid
  • Enjoy Your Life
What are yours? I find it so interesting to see peoples' top 5 especially with this album as it has been so divisive in the fanbase

1. Too Afraid

2. Handmade Heaven

3. Enjoy Your Life

4. True

5. Emotional Machine

Special mentions:

1. To Be Human

2. Karma

3. Life Is Strange

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

1. Too Afraid

2. Handmade Heaven